When Did "The War On Terror" Start, And, How Do We Determine It Is Over? - Page 29 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #281 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 05:13 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Before and after?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 05:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstone
Stupid? How is signing a treaty to not give nuclear technology to a non-NPT member stupid??

I did find this:

India's opposition to the Treaty over the last three decades was based on the argument that the NPT was both unjust and ineffective.

Personally I don't buy that. It is as effective as the members who enforce it.

Let's talk, "enforcement."

Hahahaha!
post #283 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 05:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
Do you mean the TAP pipeline, Turkmenistan, Pakistan, India, that's supposed to incorporate Azerbeijan (the ex USSR part, and not the Iranian) and Tajikistan? The self proclaimed President for life and Father (Despot) of Tajikistan suffers no shortage of megalomania. What a great partner to pick. It is a logical area for Iran to expand into, the other would be N. Azerbeijan, up to Persia's old border, the Caucasus, Are the rumors of plans for a US base in Turkmenistan correct? The US was evicted from the K2 airbase in Uzbekistan, but the Kyrgyz and Tajik bases next door are still going strong.
Obviously you're more knowledgeable than I am, all of those former SSR stans run together in my geographically challenged mind. I remember the megalomaniac killing hundreds, maybe thousands of peaceful protesters recently and asking us to decamp from the former Soviet base we used to go into Afghanistan.

A couple of years ago I spent a an hour or two with a member of the Azeri oil ministry who was interested in remote sensing applications for detecting oilfield (and war) debris. (I didn't realize that the Nazis, on their push for Stalingrad, over-ran parts of Azerbeijan). He said one of the hoped-for outcomes from the Afghan war from his perspective was increasing the market for his country's oil across the Caucasus and also across Afghanistan to Pakistan & India.
post #284 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 06:25 AM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
Hi Bot. I don't think I am more knowledgable, but I am familiar with Iranian, and the former Russian Azerbeijan. They share the same turkic dialect, related to what is spoken in Turkey as well as in Turkmenistan and others around the latter. The Caucasus used to be Persia's Northern border. A Friend is a Goverment official in Baku. It has a lot of the old frontier spirit, to put it mildly. If rumors are true, I would question US wisdom in aligning itself with Turkmenistans Niyazov, another megalomaniac dictator worse than Saddam. After having supported murderous despots all over the World, why be surprised at the negative image of America in other Countries. Haven't the politicians in Washington learned anything?
post #285 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 06:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
Hi Bot. I don't think I am more knowledgable, but I am familiar with Iranian, and the former Russian Azerbeijan. They share the same turkic dialect, related to what is spoken in Turkey as well as in Turkmenistan and others around the latter. The Caucasus used to be Persia's Northern border. A Friend is a Goverment official in Baku. It has a lot of the old frontier spirit, to put it mildly. If rumors are true, I am questioning the US wisdom in aligning itself with Turkmenistans Niyazov, another megalomaniac despot worse than Saddam. After having supported murderous despots all over the World, why be surprised at the negative image of America in other Countries. Haven't the politicians learned anything?

Oh, I can believe it. Not that we love supporting another murderous despot, but because the short-term REAL positives outweigh the POTENTIAL long-term negatives. A classic calculus of diplomacy, in which there are no friends, only interests.

Speaking of which, it amuses me that I was wrong about France in my prognostication concerning Lebanon. I had predicted that France would take the leading military role, supplying leadership and troops to patrol the southern fronteir and train the Lebanese Army. They even said they would, but then uh ... retreated from that position. Now it looks like Italy will do the heavy lifting, which surprised me. I had not foreseen that at all.

B
post #286 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 06:54 AM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
Reminds me of the old anti drug TV spot
Attached Images

post #287 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 07:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Oh, I can believe it. Not that we love supporting another murderous despot, but because the short-term REAL positives outweigh the POTENTIAL long-term negatives. A classic calculus of diplomacy, in which there are no friends, only interests.

Speaking of which, it amuses me that I was wrong about France in my prognostication concerning Lebanon. I had predicted that France would take the leading military role, supplying leadership and troops to patrol the southern fronteir and train the Lebanese Army. They even said they would, but then uh ... retreated from that position. Now it looks like Italy will do the heavy lifting, which surprised me. I had not foreseen that at all.

B
Where's my steak? Oh, and BTW, you forgot to mention that Israel is protesting the use of Muslim troops as well, just as I predicted. And here is my next prediction: The Italian parliament will shoot down the idea of their leading the troops as well, after their disasterous experience against the Titanic Botnstian Empire of Iraq. We've turned the world's diplomatic landscape into the same kind of wasteland as we have Iraq's.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 08-23-2006 at 07:17 AM.
post #288 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 07:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Meanwhile, as we approach the 5-year anniversary of 9/11, and after fvcking Bush said OBL is irrelevant:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/22/osama.poll/index.html

So is our mission accomplished?

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #289 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 07:53 AM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
Someone else put it best,: "War does not discriminate, it is an equal opportunity destroyer."
post #290 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 08:05 AM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by elau
Meanwhile, as we approach the 5-year anniversary of 9/11, and after fvcking Bush said OBL is irrelevant:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/22/osama.poll/index.html

So is our mission accomplished?
When the US was trying to flush out Bin Laden from the caves of Tora Bora, the special forces commander requested 200 extra troops. The pentagon refused. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8853000/site/newsweek/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in