When Did "The War On Terror" Start, And, How Do We Determine It Is Over? - Page 26 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #251 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
The U.S. military has a mandate of service to the U.S., and no one else. As long as they serve the U.S. faithfully, there is no hypocrisy, regardless of what some fork-tongued politician says...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
The U.S. military has a mandate of service to the U.S., and no one else.
I never said otherwise, I understand they follow a civilian President.

Quote:
As long as they serve the U.S. faithfully, there is no hypocrisy, regardless of what some fork-tongued politician says...
The point AGAIN is this Administration uses the Military with hypocrisy. I am not blaming the military for this, as you seem to be implying. However, the use of the military is dictated by a hypocritical President.

"Protecting the Constitution vs Presidental powers is not about terrorism, but of doing what is right vs. what is easy. I choose doing right... where do you stand?"
post #253 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstone
The point AGAIN is this Administration uses the Military with hypocrisy. I am not blaming the military for this, as you seem to be implying. However, the use of the military is dictated by a hypocritical President.
Well of course it does, but that isn't what you said -- I'm not implying anything. I now understand that you didn't write what you meant.
Quote:
I don't think the military should practice hypocrisy.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #254 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 05:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Well of course it does, but that isn't what you said -- I'm not implying anything. I now understand that you didn't write what you meant.
Sorry, if I confused you. However, I assumed we were all on the same page in that the military is controlled by the President, ie: what hyprocrisy is perceived to be taken by the military are a direct result of the President and his policies.

"Protecting the Constitution vs Presidental powers is not about terrorism, but of doing what is right vs. what is easy. I choose doing right... where do you stand?"
post #255 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 05:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Huh? You're the brilliant mind that complains about us lesser mortals and then swims with us in the sty. Hence, the Gump-ism.
Me? I thought that was you.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #256 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 05:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Me? I thought that was you.

#238 in this Icelandic Saga.

FeelTheLove:
It's stupid arguing with these guys.

Bot:
Forrest, remember, stupid is as stupid does.
post #257 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Well, actually I was refering to the Alternate History of The Universe crowd. You at least are willing to admit it was all about oil.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #258 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
The point is that Iraq did NOT have WMD, did NOT support Al Qaeda. While I support the FIRST Gulf War, due to the invasion of Kuwait, I find no evidence to support ANY reason to invade Iraq a second time, not to mention after the first Gulf war, IRAQ was contained. Sure, they were playing games with the inspectors, but the IAEA said they were in full compliance prior to the invasion.
Actually, the UN inspection team just prior to our invasion was satisfied with Iraqi cooperation and compliance, unlike prior teams that were being jerked around at every turn. When preliminary reports indicated that a ruling of full compliance was imminent, GW ran them off and launched the invasion, while some small doubt still remained. IOW, he was only willing to tolerate the inspection team as long as there was a chance they would help justify the invasion.

post #259 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: DeLorean DMC-12
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
But Rwanda does not have OIL and did not threaten to kill W's daddy. So we can't help them.
Exactly. If we're going to pay for our military to meddle in other's affairs, might as well get something in return.

Veering off topic*....Anyone know how much oil Iraq has? And when we might be getting some of it? Or, are we already?

*What? Here? NEVER!
post #260 of 345 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian80
Exactly. If we're going to pay for our military to meddle in other's affairs, might as well get something in return.

Veering off topic*....Anyone know how much oil Iraq has? And when we might be getting some of it? Or, are we already?

*What? Here? NEVER!
Didn't you fill out the forms and send them in with your last tax return? I had four barrels of genuine Iraqi crude dropped off on my driveway just last week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in