post #61 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
I doubt anyone wishes to restrict what Christians wish to believe. It is when they seek to force others to believe in their looney concepts that issues arise. Jim
As is true of all belief systems.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 08:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
As is true of all belief systems.
That is absolutely true, GS! However, in this country we have no problem keeping "other-than-Christian" "values" from the legal code. At the moment, with those Christian Fundamentalists rallying to take on the Islamic Fundamentalists, with the Israeli fundamentalists cheering and goading them on, for once it isn't the all the other belief systems we are being threatened by. It is our own, homegrown religious zealots, who happen to be Christian fundamentalists, who have attempted to thwart the clear language of the Constitution, prohibiting laws favoring any religious group from being enacted. Jim
post #63 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
You don't like someone because he's a "conservative"? That's all you need to pass judgement?
The only thing lame is the continual support of the Presidents failed policies by the conservatives right.

The Conservatives of the United States of America are possibly the most hypocritical beings ever to walk our wonderful Earth. They claim to seek to 'protect' our guaranteed freedoms, but yet they insist upon denying them to citizens of not only the world, but are own country.

Conservatives use fear to quell dissent, religion to incite warmongering, and terrorism as an excuse to violate the constitution. Conservatives are nothing but facist, bible thumping, war loving, hyprocrits who can't tell the difference between the truth and want is spoon fed to them. Conservatives will be the death to us all. What more does one need to know.

"Protecting the Constitution vs Presidental powers is not about terrorism, but of doing what is right vs. what is easy. I choose doing right... where do you stand?"

Last edited by rstone; 08-20-2006 at 09:18 PM.
post #64 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

No doubt true. As the world's only super-power, we are truly our own worst enemy. With no serious external threats to serve as rallying points, must we invent them in order to avoid confrontation with even more fearsome internal threats? Unfortunately, it seems that one doesn't necessarily preclude the other if the perceived external threat lacks veracity and sufficient ferocity.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #65 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstone
What planet do you live on??

The only thing lame is the continual support of the Presidents failed policies by conservatives right.

Conservatives use fear to quell dissent, religion to incite warmongering, and terrorism as an excuse to violate the constitution.

What are you waiting for Amageddon/WWIII?
Although I don't agree with Mr. Jayhawk on much, I find him an amicable fellow who I'm quite sure I would enjoy having a beer or two with.

When you meet someone in the real world, do you ferret out their political persuasion before deciding whether to befriend him/her or not? Embrace diversity, and the fact that we're each free share our views as we see fit. I have lots of family members and friends who I don't see eye to eye with on a number of levels, yet still manage to find common ground.

And you're wrong about conservatives. True conservatives do none of the things you describe. Don't make the mistake of thinking that GW Bush and his administration are actually conservative -- far from it.

post #66 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 09:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
No doubt true. As the world's only super-power, we are truly our own worst enemy. With no serious external threats to serve as rallying points, must we invent them in order to avoid confrontation with even more fearsome internal threats? ......
A common tactic by the leaders of most governments in the arab league.....
post #67 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

....and frighteningly effective.

post #68 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Although I don't agree with Mr. Jayhawk on much, I find him an amicable fellow who I'm quite sure I would enjoy having a beer or two with.

When you meet someone in the real world, do you ferret out their political persuasion before deciding whether to befriend him/her or not? Embrace diversity, and the fact that we're each free share our views as we see fit. I have lots of family members and friends who I don't see eye to eye with on a number of levels, yet still manage to find common ground.

And you're wrong about conservatives. True conservatives do none of the things you describe. Don't make the mistake of thinking that GW Bush and his administration are actually conservative -- far from it.
I agree. And, like nature where there is no single solution to any situation, there is no single political orientation that fits every issue we might confront in life. There used to be a time when debating proposed solutions was used to arrive at better ones. Today, it seems, no debate and compromise is allowed. If you have the power you have to use it, even when that amounts to abusing it. Jim
post #69 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Occasionally, however I usually don't talk politics with people I don't know.

Embacing diversity if fine, as long as your not using the constitution as a door mat to wipe your feet with in the process while using fear to manipulate the public and forcing your religious views on me or anyone else.

I don't expect everyone I meet to see eye-to-eye with myself. However, I do expect them to not be so blinded by denial that they would so easily let themself be lead like sheep over a cliff.

"Protecting the Constitution vs Presidental powers is not about terrorism, but of doing what is right vs. what is easy. I choose doing right... where do you stand?"
post #70 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstone
Occasionally, however I usually don't talk politics with people I don't know.

Embacing diversity if fine, as long as your not using the constitution as a door mat to wipe your feet with in the process while using fear to manipulate the public and forcing your religious views on me or anyone else.

I don't expect everyone I meet to see eye-to-eye with myself. However, I do expect them to not be so blinded by denial that they would so easily let themself be lead like sheep over a cliff.
Yes, Jayhawk is a True Believer, there's no doubt. But I still prefer to seek common ground elsewhere. In any case, I do understand what you're saying.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in