Countries Ready to Fortify U.N. Force - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 03:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Zealand has apparently offered a 'niche' deployment - estimated locally to maybe total 6, a diplomatic way of saying fuck them all. I suggest the UN aerial spray the whole area with bacon fat.......
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 04:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Originally Posted by shrimpton
New Zealand has apparently offered a 'niche' deployment - estimated locally to maybe total 6, a diplomatic way of saying fuck them all. I suggest the UN aerial spray the whole area with bacon fat.......
Ooooh I like that idea........ That ought to keep Hezbollah and any trainees from Hamas out of the area for a while.
Hey, if they believe that there will be 72 virgins will be waiting for them for being a martyr, then they KNOW being anywhere near pigs will prevent that from happening. Personally I wouldn't want virgins, I prefer a more experianced woman, no need to waste time breaking them in…...
More to the serious side, I like Pershing's idea in the Philippines of dipping his ammo in pigs blood. Damn near stopped that rebellion in it's tracks. Saved a lot of lives on both sides.

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 09:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Is it even in Israel's interest to have a U.N. force in south Lebanon? They should rethink their demand. With U.N. troops there, any cease fire violation by Hezbollah will likely not be met by force so as to avoid killing or wounding "neutral observers." With only the Lebanese there Israel will have greater freedom of action.

I think that a small, weak (chapter 6) U.N. force is Lebanon is worse than none at all. Either put someone in there like a strong international force under chapter 7 who can enforce the peace or just let Lebanon patrol its own border like it should have been doing for the past 40 years.

Although Israel would have preferred an international force they settled on a U.N. force as a comprimise at the last minute but, to me, that seems like the worse of all possible solutions.

And those who somehow think that Israel is "weaker" militarily now then they were before this war are simply wrong. What they have lost is their deterence capability meaning that some ambitious arab regime (like Syria or Iran) might be tempted to provoke it into yet another war. But Israel will learn from its mistakes. It won't be fighting wars with one hand tied behind its back in the future and hopefully the kadima party will get trounced at the polls and we they will get a strong and determined Likud in there instead.

This victory has embolded the arabs and will likely set the stage for the next round. If the arabs are tempted (as I think they are) to another provocation they will have seriously miscalculated its enemy....

Last edited by baby boo; 08-18-2006 at 09:57 AM.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 12:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
France, of course, pushed for a cease fire and promised to lead the UN force. Now that they have gotten their wish they decide they can only send about 200 troops to the area. Their reason for offering this ridiculously small contingent is of a piece:

The United Nations appealed for European countries to send troops to keep the peace in Lebanon yesterday after France offered a "disappointing" 200 soldiers.....

France's defence minister, Michèle Alliot-Marie told the UN that France had to be reassured about the mission's rules of engagement before it could offer more troops.

"You can't send in men telling them: 'Look what's going on, but you don't have the right to defend yourself or to shoot'," she said
......(Emphais mine).

Now wasn't it France that insisted, against the wishes of the USA and Israel, that the UN contingent not have robust rules of engagement under a chapter 7 resolution in the first place?

1) France pledges thousands of troops to lead the UNIFIL force.

2) They oppose vigorous rules of engagement that would allow the peace keepers to fire back at Hezbollah if attacked.

3) After getting the USA (and with reservations, Israel) to agree to this they say they can't fulfil their commitment because the rules of engament are not sufficiently robust to allow them to protect their troops!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: