Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
New Voting Law Proposal

My wife heard recently that a startlingly low number of Americans have any clue how government works. Some quick Google-fu reveals a July article in USA Today, whereby adults (not snot-nosed highschoolers) you meet stand about a 50/50 chance of naming all three branches of government, or defining the separation of powers.
"As for this nation's adults, in an American Bar Association poll last summer, a little more than half of those surveyed were able to name the three branches of our government. Fewer than half had any idea what "the separation of powers" means."
So...how about a simple test at the polling places? You must correctly name the three branches of government before you can vote. You can use the formal or informal names (executive/white house, legislative/congress/senate/house, judicial/supreme court/judges/courts), but you must identify all three.

Let the chants of "hate monger", "facist", and "racist" begin...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Has anyone seen the test the INS gives to people before they can become a naturalized citizen of the USA? I haven't, but I think they are a lot more involved than yours, and probably should be.

I guess my point is this: Those people know a lot more about our government, constitution, et cetera, than the average American who just happened to be born here, but didn't pay much atention in their Civics or History classes. "I plead guilty your honor".

hehe, let the flames begin

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 08-16-2006 at 10:01 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
They've taken the opposite approach here in Arizona, and have actually attached a jackpot lottery to voting in order to attract all the folks to the polls who don't even know what a 'candidate' is...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Part of me says yes, bring on the test and make it hard. I would be happy to be one of the few around here with a vote on election day. And that initially sounds like a great idea, but lack of ability should not negate a citizen's right to representation. If you start going down that road, it's just a matter of time before you're putting people in ovens or cutting up the lazy for organs.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
My wife heard recently that a startlingly low number of Americans have any clue how government works. Some quick Google-fu reveals a July article in USA Today, whereby adults (not snot-nosed highschoolers) you meet stand about a 50/50 chance of naming all three branches of government, or defining the separation of powers.
The Nina......The Pinta........And the Santa Maria.

Seriously though. We used to sit in my buddies basement, blow weed and record conversations. In one such recording, his step-father was heard to say, "If you don't know who to vote for, you shouldn't be voting". It actually sounded like, "If you don't know who to vote for, you're shittin' the boat'n", which provided us with much laughter and conviviality in our altered state. But I digress. What is the point of providing incentive to those who don't give a shit?
Quality not quantity.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
A polling place in every trailer park! -- just trying out new campaign slogans...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
The Nina......The Pinta........And the Santa Maria.
Hmmm, wrong answer ThrillKill

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs300CD
Part of me says yes, bring on the test and make it hard. I would be happy to be one of the few around here with a vote on election day. And that initially sounds like a great idea, but lack of ability should not negate a citizen's right to representation. If you start going down that road, it's just a matter of time before you're putting people in ovens or cutting up the lazy for organs.
What about the next-to-impossible test they used to give Afro-Americans (in the south mostly I think) to keep them from voting?

Does anyone know much more about this, because I sure don't?

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
What about the next-to-impossible test they used to give Afro-Americans (in the south mostly I think) to keep them from voting?

Does anyone know much more about this, because I sure don't?
Reference the Jim Crow Laws which were "gate laws" to stop blacks from voting in the south.

Those laws are why there cannot be a test before allowing someone to vote.

EDIT: This link, while long and from People for American Way [I googled to find a good link] is a good read that shows Jim Crow from the 1870's when the issues started to now when they apparently are still going. Here is a paragraph that is 5 pages from the end but the whole thing is a pretty good read.
+++++
When federal troops were withdrawn from the South in 1877, violence, intimidation and corruption were powerful tools the Southern white elite used to put itself back in power. Once seats in government were obtained, legalistic barriers like poll taxes and literacy tests were put into place to ensure that African Americans would not regain political power. By the middle of the 20th century, much of the violence and intimidation meant to deny African Americans the right to vote happened long before Election Day. Simply registering to vote was the most dangerous step, so intimidation at the polls was not as important as it would become in later decades. Most people would never get that far.
+++++
http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=16367

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.

Last edited by mcbear; 08-16-2006 at 11:59 AM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Angry Jim Crow Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Reference the Jim Crow Laws which were "gate laws" to stop blacks from voting in the south. Those laws are why there cannot be a test before allowing someone to vote.

http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=16367
Thanks much McBear - needless to say, those were part of the American "dark ages". I'm going to read the entire 5 pages

Regards,
Musikmann

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in