The Triumph of Unrealism: George Will sends shockwaves thru conservative movement - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 11:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Boy are you ever (fashionably) late to the party. Buchanan's been writing this stuff for years. Ever see his magazine http://www.amconmag.com ?

He even dabbled in Holocaust denial for a while. Claimed that there is no way the Germans could have exterminated the jews by pumping deisel exhaust through cattle cars. He read this somewhere on the internet so he knows this must be true. Unfortunately nobody was able to get him to test this theory himself on a first hand basis and report back to us.

Yes, Buchanan has a lot of credibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
About as much as any other conservative. I think you are exaggerating his Anti-sematism, I thought he just made some comments about how nice it would have been if the Nazis had won. But I am not really interested in his position for or against the war, it is his analysis that is very well done and his desire to kick neo-con ass instead of going after the Democrats. Not a good sign for you guys.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 11:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
...... I thought he just made some comments about how nice it would have been if the Nazis had won. ....
Oh is that all it was?

Well that certainly puts him on par with your average arab commentator about the ME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
.....his analysis that is very well done and his desire to kick neo-con ass instead of going after the Democrats. Not a good sign for you guys.
Buchanan's opinions about the ME are only outnumbered about 50 to 1 in conservative circles.

I know Bucahnan calls himself a "conservative" but is he really? Did you follow e.g., his presidential campaigns? He sounded much more like a populist than a conservative. He railed against free trade. He accused big buisiness of exploiting workers and exporting jobs etc. If the cornerstone of conservatism is economic laisser faire, as some here have maintained, then he flunks that test in a big way.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:06 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
It's nice to know some folks can tell the difference, even if that doesn't include our president. I've always thought George Will is a pretty bright guy...
That is, until he publishes something something that disagrees with your world view.

Then he becomes a "tool" again.

Liberals and the anti-bush crowd fawning all over GW's article is like Conservatives supporting Lieberman.

Just another instance of my enemy's enemy is my friend syndrome.

A desperate grab at straws.

Good day.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Sure, I was disappointed when he initially came out in support of Iraq, as any true conservative should have been, but that didn't make him an idiot. Iraq was a fool's errand from day one -- it was obvious then, and it's obvious now. Nothing that has occurred in Iraq has been a surprise -- it couldn't have come down any other way.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 09:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
There are fools calling themselves "liberals" who initially supported the illegal attack, invasion and occupation of the formerly sovereign nation of Iraq. Maybe we should strike it up to a momentary lapse of reason...or weak Will.

Z, that was me. I admit I was sure that no one would be so, well, crazy as to contemplate an invasion after 9-11 without real evidence of a threat. I guess, even though I was never a supporter of Bush that as President, he deserved the benefit of the doubt. I guess that bit of idealism has been extinguished. Reminds me of one of those chants by the Israelis - "never again" - the man has taken every available step in the direction of unmaking America along his path. Who in Congress has declared we are at war with terrorists and therefore the powers that could be attributed to the President in a time of war are actually due him now? All this "war on terror" stuff is, and sorry Bot and others, sounding like Hitler's rantings. We are on a path of pure reactionary mediocrity. The path of least resistance is not a form of leadership, it is a cruise downhill. War for us should only be entertained when we are threatened enough to use nukes without a shadow of guilt. Any other circumstances are really circumstances we should stay out of having a direct involvement. Jim
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 09:39 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
...War for us should only be entertained when we are threatened enough to use nukes without a shadow of guilt. Any other circumstances are really circumstances we should stay out of having a direct involvement. Jim
Interesting concept.

If what you propose is followed to its logical extension, the US shall then bleed to death from a thousand cuts, and not from a single blow, before it can "justifiably" go to war.

Very interesting concept indeed.

Last edited by 67_250SE; 08-19-2006 at 09:41 AM.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
Boy are you ever (fashionably) late to the party. Buchanan's been writing this stuff for years. Ever see his magazine http://www.amconmag.com ?

He even dabbled in Holocaust denial for a while. Claimed that there is no way the Germans could have exterminated the jews by pumping deisel exhaust through cattle cars. He read this somewhere on the internet so he knows this must be true. Unfortunately nobody was able to get him to test this theory himself on a first hand basis and report back to us.

Yes, Buchanan has a lot of credibility.
F*** Patrick Buchanan. He's a senile, washed-up old fart. A true RINO. He lost his credibility long ago, his gig now is simply to be contrarian.

For God's sake, he was on with that human cock-ring Alan Colmes...I suppose he couldn't get anyone from the sex industry that day to feel him up during commercial breaks.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 02:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I can't tell George Will's columns from David Broder's... What's the big deal? Sure as hell isn't a "shock wave!"

Don't believe everything you think
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 02:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Still trying to recover here from the "shock wave" that George Will sent my way.

Allow me to regain my composure here.....

Ah yes, now that's better....

But back to Buchanan. There really is too much glee in his pronouncements about Iraq. It's as if he desperately wants America to fail there so that he can be proven right.

What can one say about a man who puts his own ego ahead of the interests of his country?

That's not what I would call a "conservative' by any stretch of the imagination.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in