LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guage
You don't think he knows a couple of cops?
Does it matter? All he did was state the opinion of 2 police officers , which I might add are not fact, but merely the opinion of two out of how many police officers in the US?

However since you nor he cant provide one shred of evidence to support the idea of racial profiling in everyday law enforcement I'll help you out here...

Studies have shown that even when people of color are searched at higher rates, they are no more likely than whites to be found with contraband.

Dr. John Lamberth, in a study of stops by Maryland State Troopers on I-95, found that the “hit rate” – the percentage of searches in which contraband was found – was the same for black and white drivers: 28%. New Jersey’s attorney general reported in 1999 that the hit rates for motorists stopped by New Jersey State Troopers were 10.5% for white drivers and 13.5% for black drivers. New York’s attorney general reported that in “stop in frisk” incidents in 1998 and 1999, the arrest rates were 12.6% for whites, 11.3% for Latinos, and 10.5% for blacks. In 1998 the U.S. customs service reported similar numbers for stops and searches in airports nationwide. Their hit rates were 6.7% for whites, 6.3% for blacks, and 2.8% for Latinos

http://www1.umn.edu/irp/publications....html#_ftnref5

As for being supported by the police agencies...

Eleven states have enacted legislation addressing racial profiling to date: California, Connecticut, Kansas, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, and Washington.

Also Arizona is the newest to add to that list...

Friday, July 28, 2006

PHOENIX , AZ – U.S. Magistrate Judge Lawrence O. Anderson today approved a settlement agreement between the American Civil Liberties Union and the Arizona Department of Public Safety to prevent racial profiling by patrol officers along Arizona's highways and streets.

The terms of the settlement also address the following:

• Amending agency policies to prohibit officers from pulling over motorists on the basis of race or skin color;

• Training officers to comply with anti-racial profiling policies;

• Working toward the goal of having vehicle-based video systems in all department vehicles throughout the state to tape all traffic stops, detentions and searches; and,

• Requiring patrol officers to use a bi-lingual written consent form whenever a search is requested during a traffic stop.

http://www.acluaz.org/News/PressReleases/07_28_06.htm

"Protecting the Constitution vs Presidental powers is not about terrorism, but of doing what is right vs. what is easy. I choose doing right... where do you stand?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 04:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
When I was 17 or so, I was stopped frequently by police officers for the purpose of searching my person and vehicle for contraband. Many years have now passed and that never happens any more. Are you honestly suggesting that is a lapse in judgment on the part of police officers?
It means we are all in great danger!!!!!!

Don't believe everything you think
post #63 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 04:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by guage
Are we in Kansas?
You should be so lucky, Toto...

post #64 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstone
Does it matter? All he did was state the opinion of 2 police officers , which I might add are not fact, but merely the opinion of two out of how many police officers in the US?

However since you nor he cant provide one shred of evidence to support the idea of racial profiling in everyday law enforcement I'll help you out here...

Studies have shown that even when people of color are searched at higher rates, they are no more likely than whites to be found with contraband.

Dr. John Lamberth, in a study of stops by Maryland State Troopers on I-95, found that the “hit rate” – the percentage of searches in which contraband was found – was the same for black and white drivers: 28%. New Jersey’s attorney general reported in 1999 that the hit rates for motorists stopped by New Jersey State Troopers were 10.5% for white drivers and 13.5% for black drivers. New York’s attorney general reported that in “stop in frisk” incidents in 1998 and 1999, the arrest rates were 12.6% for whites, 11.3% for Latinos, and 10.5% for blacks. In 1998 the U.S. customs service reported similar numbers for stops and searches in airports nationwide. Their hit rates were 6.7% for whites, 6.3% for blacks, and 2.8% for Latinos

http://www1.umn.edu/irp/publications....html#_ftnref5

As for being supported by the police agencies...

Eleven states have enacted legislation addressing racial profiling to date: California, Connecticut, Kansas, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, and Washington.

Also Arizona is the newest to add to that list...

Friday, July 28, 2006

PHOENIX , AZ – U.S. Magistrate Judge Lawrence O. Anderson today approved a settlement agreement between the American Civil Liberties Union and the Arizona Department of Public Safety to prevent racial profiling by patrol officers along Arizona's highways and streets.

The terms of the settlement also address the following:

• Amending agency policies to prohibit officers from pulling over motorists on the basis of race or skin color;

• Training officers to comply with anti-racial profiling policies;

• Working toward the goal of having vehicle-based video systems in all department vehicles throughout the state to tape all traffic stops, detentions and searches; and,

• Requiring patrol officers to use a bi-lingual written consent form whenever a search is requested during a traffic stop.

http://www.acluaz.org/News/PressReleases/07_28_06.htm
Would you please quit posting/plagiarizing all of that CRAP!!!

post #65 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 05:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Would you please quit posting/plagiarizing all of that CRAP!!!
Will you do everyone a favor and go jump off a cliff... For your information dumbass... its not plagiarizing when you cite your sources, so go put a sock in it.

"Protecting the Constitution vs Presidental powers is not about terrorism, but of doing what is right vs. what is easy. I choose doing right... where do you stand?"
post #66 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 05:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstone
Will you do everyone a favor and go jump off a cliff... For your information dumbass... its not plagiarizing when you cite your sources, so go put a sock in it.
"...put a sock in it?" How rude:
Attached Images

post #67 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: Nice, Fast, Luxurious.
Premium Member
Smile Doesn't look anything like you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
"...put a sock in it?" How rude:
...Cute kid!
The mother must be a hottie.

Mi$ter Right.
post #68 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 02:04 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
This is sad but very funny, watch the video
http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightTV...aspx?id=208508

Last edited by DP; 08-20-2006 at 02:23 PM.
post #69 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
This is sad but very funny, watch the video
http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightTV...aspx?id=208508
That's almost as funny as it is scarry...

post #70 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 10:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
They pulled me over repeatedly because I was young and I looked like a druggie. Now, I'm older and I don't look like a druggie. Simple as that. That kind of profiling happens every day in every city in America. Show me a police officer who ignores that valuable tool, and I'll show you a poor police officer.
When I lived in New York I still had Kentucky tags on my GMC Jimmy which I drove in the winter. I was pulled over 7 times in 8 months for "general stops", never ticketed. Finally I would hang my IBM Armonk badge on the rearview mirror and they would just ask for ID and let me go on. That was constant profiling.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in