Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstone
I still would like your sources that state:

"profiling is generally supported by the law enforcement community within the Western world"

"profiling based on any characteristic is a time-tested and universal police too"

I might add that it is illegal for ANY law enforcement officer to profile per the law and court precedant. If your friends are doing so, they are breaking the law.

Also I happen to know many in law enforcement myself, and worked in law enforcement for many years and I would beg to differ with your friends that profiling works 90% of the time. However, if you have sources to back up your friends statements I would like to see those as well.
Why are you nitpicking the definition of the word rather than focusing on the application of the principle? We all seem to be pretty much on the same page in regard to the subject matter.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Why are you nitpicking the definition of the word rather than focusing on the application of the principle? We all seem to be pretty much on the same page in regard to the subject matter.
I don't like people making blanket statements that are made-up or false just to prove a point. If he has sources to back up his statements I'd like to see them. Also, he should be careful about pulling two other law enforcements illegal actions into a conversation as proof of anything. I'm sure his friends would not appreciate it, considering they are confessing to a crime.

Like I said from the start, I believe their is a difference between profiling used by law enforcement in everyday crimes, which I am against, and terrorist profiling at airports.

"Protecting the Constitution vs Presidental powers is not about terrorism, but of doing what is right vs. what is easy. I choose doing right... where do you stand?"
post #53 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
The British government are considering implementing passenger profiling as routine security measures at all our airports.

Is this a good or a bad direction in which to move?
The simple answer:
Attached Images

Don't believe everything you think
post #54 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Like I said from the start, I believe their is a difference between profiling used by law enforcement in everyday crimes, which I am against, and terrorist profiling at airports.
When I was 17 or so, I was stopped frequently by police officers for the purpose of searching my person and vehicle for contraband. Many years have now passed and that never happens any more. Are you honestly suggesting that is a lapse in judgment on the part of police officers?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #55 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
What!

No 90 year old caucasian grandmother from the midwest on this list?
post #56 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:18 PM
guage

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
I don't like people making blanket statements that are made-up or false just to prove a point. If he has sources to back up his statements I'd like to see them. Also, he should be careful about pulling two other law enforcements illegal actions into a conversation as proof of anything. I'm sure his friends would not appreciate it, considering they are confessing to a crime.

Are we in Kansas?
post #57 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
When I was 17 or so, I was stopped frequently by police officers for the purpose of searching my person and vehicle for contraband. Many years have now passed and that never happens any more. Are you honestly suggesting that is a lapse in judgment on the part of police officers?
I've been around law enforcement long enough to realize they don't all know the law as well as they might tend to think so, and furthermore I've seen my far share of bending the rules to suit the sitution.

Having said that, are police officers prone to lapse in judgements? my answer is... isnt everyone?? of course they are. They are after all just human like the rest of us. Sometimes they tend to get zealous in their pursuits.

With regard to your prior sitution... their are probably a million reasons for a police officer to pull you over that have nothing to do with racial profiling. Searching your vehicle does not require a warrant, only probable cause or your consent. Either way, I don't know the circumstances of your sitution that led the officer to believe you might be committing a crime, and to be honest I'd probably need not only your version of the story, but his as well to come to any honest conclusions from your statements.

"Protecting the Constitution vs Presidental powers is not about terrorism, but of doing what is right vs. what is easy. I choose doing right... where do you stand?"
post #58 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guage
Are we in Kansas?
Do we know the law??? You care to cite where ANY of his statements are accurate?? Can't find one?? figures.

post #59 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
With regard to your prior sitution... their are probably a million reasons for a police officer to pull you over that have nothing to do with racial profiling. Searching your vehicle does not require a warrant, only probable cause or your consent. Either way, I don't know the circumstances of your sitution that led the officer to believe you might be committing a crime, and to be honest I'd probably need not only your version of the story, but his as well to come to any honest conclusions from your statements.
They pulled me over repeatedly because I was young and I looked like a druggie. Now, I'm older and I don't look like a druggie. Simple as that. That kind of profiling happens every day in every city in America. Show me a police officer who ignores that valuable tool, and I'll show you a poor police officer.

post #60 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:31 PM
guage

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Do we know the law??? You care to cite where ANY of his statements are accurate?? Can't find one?? figures.
You don't think he knows a couple of cops?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in