LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
The Israelies are murdering scumbags too, but at least they are democratic murdering scumbags, so I'll side with them.
My people?? excuse me but I never said what my nationality was or where I even reside. For your information... I'm a white full blooded American who has roots from England/France. My relatives fought in the civil war against the british, participated in creating this country through work in politics and fought in WWI, WWII, viertnam, Korea, etc.. My family has a long history of military service, from my grandparents to my dad, in fact my grandpa was one of the few survivors of the USS Arizona and later went on to become an Admiral of the US Navy. I was a military brat as they say since my father was in the military. However I have choosen other pursuits in law.

Back to the subject... None of what I have recounted is, or is intended to be, an excuse or justification for Palestinian suicide bombings and other acts of terrorism. These acts, which do indeed deliberately target civilians, are indefensible. The Israeli actions described above are also instances in which civilians have been deliberately targeted, and they are also indefensible.

Where this leaves us is that this leads to moral distortions such as the one described above in which an otherwise intelligent person, such as yourself, can be so blinded by the mental image of an ever-moral Israel populated by ever-moral Jews that you can actually defend Israel for a clear terrorist action and blame the victims for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. How the suffering and death and oppression caused by Israel's month-long siege of the West Bank in April 2002, or by the round-the-clock curfews imposed for the last four months on a civilian population--to name just a few of Israel's actions in the last 35 years of occupation--can be justified as moral and non-violent begs the imagination.

The national philosophy (it is really deeper and more significant that just a military tactic) that underlies this devotion to massive over-reaction, and particularly its corollary, collective punishment, is obviously and demonstrably foolish and futile. It does not intimidate or deter the Palestinians, and it never will. It hardens their determination to resist and to defy. I don’t care whether you consider the Palestinians to be terrorists or common criminals or freedom fighters or national resistance heroes. If you are an intelligent and sensitive human being, you learn from your past mistakes and you make a rational decision to try something different. The Israeli leadership for all these many generations has been incapable of performing that really rather simple mental and moral exercise.

If you take land and houses and personal freedoms away from individuals, and if you systematically deprive a whole people of dignity and national identity, they do not forgive or forget their deep sense of injury, deprivation and injustice. Giving them a thorough beating at regular intervals, or endlessly frustrating their hopes of enjoying the benefits of political self-determination and economic prosperity, does not diminish their personal bitterness of alleviate their collective hunger for revenge and restitution. That point should be beyond debate, in my opinion.

"Protecting the Constitution vs Presidental powers is not about terrorism, but of doing what is right vs. what is easy. I choose doing right... where do you stand?"

Last edited by rstone; 08-14-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: