post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Worst Cell Provider?

Submitted for your approval: Cingular. I have to use them for work (and sadly have to help manage about 80 accounts for my employer) and while their cellular*coverage works fine, they have the absolute worst, most deplorable, useless customer service I've ever had the misfortune to have to deal with. They're worse than a monopoly: they don't care about your problem, much less how to resolve it. And that's the crap service we get even though we're considered a "preferred business customer". I sincerely hope they don't treat average Joes similarly.

I've dealt with (personally or professionally) all of the big carriers, Cingular, AT&*T (now merged into Cingular), T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint* (now including NexTel) and Cingular wins the "WE SUCK" award, hands down. Their new slogan should be, "Cingular: Singularly Bad".

Not that I have an opinion.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Do you have a say for a future switch?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sadly, no. If I did we would already have switched. Apparently the employer thinks they are getting some special deal, about the only deal we get is a discount on replacement phones and combined bills (no discount, they just all appear on one bill). The latest episode is we tried to migrate an account that was still under the hybrid ATT/Cingular to pure Cingular and it required (of course) a new phone. More than three weeks later, still won't work, they tell us one thing, open a trouble ticket, then that one is fixed (supposedly) and they tell us it's another issue, more trouble tickets, etc. I finally told them to just give us an RMA and stop the nonsense, we'll just close the number and have them create a whole new account.

They're just completely worthless.

Again, not that I have an opinion.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 05:09 PM
worst mod in BW history
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You got that right.
I had them for several years, paid all my bills on time and had all imaginable options. I upgraded phones as soon as the new ones came out at out of pocket expense always taking the supplemental insurance.
I purchased 3 new phones approx $200 each for myself, wife and kid. These were the first to have cameras. You actually had to plug the camera portion onto the top of the phone,lol.
Anyway, a few days later we got a puppy......I think you can guess the rest.....In the middle of the night, she chewed all three. I later found out there is a high pitched whine that the phones emit....Drives dogs crazy.
So I call Cingular and explain to them what happened and they tell me they would have covered it but I didn't have insurance. The salesman must have forgotten to write it up when I bought the phones.
We went round and round and I finally said "just sell me 3 new phones at half price and we'll call it even". They wouldn't even do that! I had been a loyal customer for years and thee pricks wouldn't even meet me halfway on their own freaking mistake.
I told them, "kiss my ass!", paid my last bill ,and reneged on the contract. They still try to bill me for services unused. This is also when they started the new satellite system so even then every time I traveled, it was a crap shoot whether my phone would work or not.
If you read all of this shite, thankyou....I owe you one.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 12:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've used Cingular for years and have had some problems w/ customer service, but overall I would have to give them high marks for service and everything else.

Don't believe everything you think
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I think it depends on your account team...ours is phenomenal. The last 8 BlackBerry 8700c's we've ordered arrived the next morning, and we don't do a tremendous amount of business with them relative to other customers. The biggest complaint we get is about coverage, but Cingular's network has better coverage where we are than any other carrier.

That said, we're moving our data network to Sprint, and their cellular service has been in use by my family for about 12 years. They're a more technology-centric company, and have better offerings if you're a business.

Verizon wins my "Worst Telecom Company" award, hands frickin' down...cellular included. They STILL don't have towers or service (even a store) in my home state.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 03:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: DeLorean DMC-12
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I really detest Verizon.

I have T-Mobile now. Everyone tells me how shitty they are, but I've always received great customer service. Also, my plan is also one of the most inexpensive around--1500 minutes, free nights/weekends and long distance, and 1000 text messages for $45.00/month, plus taxes, fees, etc. However, I do sometimes have trouble getting coverage when I get too far in the boonies, but I try to stay out of those areas anyway. Dueling banjos scare me.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 04:05 PM
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I had bad experiences with both AT&T and Cingular. They are ousourcing theit customer service, and remind me of the old AT&T/ Lily Tomlin skit,: "We are the phone company, we are omnipotent." Over their protest, Cingular has been removed from the N.Y. better business bureau. In my area, verizon has provided me with decent service, good coverage with few dead spots, and even less dropped calls. The co. is a bit slow in offering the latest phones. On a Dubai bought Samsung, I have direct connectivity (download+upload). The same phone bought from Verizon USA won't let me do that directly, and charge for the extra service.

Last edited by Teutone; 08-12-2006 at 04:24 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 04:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
what .......what I Can't Hear You ..fucking Coverage Hello ...

Last edited by Von Vorschlag; 09-30-2007 at 11:05 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: DeLorean DMC-12
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag
what .......what I Can't Hear You ..fucking Coverage Hello ...
That's one of my favorite THTV skits.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: