post #71 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 02:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Totally random screening with no profiling of any kind? That's either stupidity, incompetence, or both.
I agree with you. However, I would argue that a random component is also important precisely because of the obviously effective tool of recruiting outside of the obvious profile. Also I would require some proportion of random search for statistical modeling.

This also keeps the folks who are attempting to game the system from being able to predict whether a particular search is random or targeted. An uncertain terrorist is one who is more likely to exhibit signs of stress. Remember how that Border Patrol agent busted that Al Queda Millennia bomber--odd, nervous behavior warranted increased scrutiny.

On a related note, for some reason I get pulled for intensive searches pretty frequently. Far more than anybody else I know. It has gotten so routine that I always remove my belt and shoes and everything else and I check damn-near everything. I don't get it, but I'm accustomed to it. I can't imagine that I scare many people, despite looking somewhat like Freddy Krueger.

OTOH, yeah, searching Chuck Yaeger is just strange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 02:26 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Being unable to either spell or pronounce the word in question myself, I ususally just go with "I-DOKDER".
How foresighted of you,or should that be farsighted?
post #73 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 02:31 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bot
"On a related note, for some reason I get pulled for intensive searches pretty frequently. Far more than anybody else I know. It has gotten so routine that I always remove my belt and shoes and everything else and I check damn-near everything. I don't get it, but I'm accustomed to it. I can't imagine that I scare many people, despite looking somewhat like Freddy Krueger"

I expect those butch airport strip searchers notice a twinkle in your eye and a certain keeness in your demeanour.
post #74 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
I agree with you. However, I would argue that a random component is also important precisely because of the obviously effective tool of recruiting outside of the obvious profile. Also I would require some proportion of random search for statistical modeling.

This also keeps the folks who are attempting to game the system from being able to predict whether a particular search is random or targeted. An uncertain terrorist is one who is more likely to exhibit signs of stress. Remember how that Border Patrol agent busted that Al Queda Millennia bomber--odd, nervous behavior warranted increased scrutiny.

On a related note, for some reason I get pulled for intensive searches pretty frequently. Far more than anybody else I know. It has gotten so routine that I always remove my belt and shoes and everything else and I check damn-near everything. I don't get it, but I'm accustomed to it. I can't imagine that I scare many people, despite looking somewhat like Freddy Krueger.

I agree completely -- they should be doing both. I recall as a teenager, getting pulled over frequently for little feigned offenses so that the officers would have an opportunity to search my vehicle for certain unnamed substances. I also noticed that this never seemed to happen to my mother or father, so of course it was completely unfair. It was merely coincidence that their outrageous, unfair searches occasionally yielded results. Law enforcement agents who don't profile aren't doing a proper job.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #75 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
How foresighted of you,or should that be farsighted?
I was thinking dimwitted, myself...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #76 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 05:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst

So, my hack on the Terror Watch List worked.
post #77 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 05:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Has anyone noted these two cases? They both look like the result of hysteria, I think these guys are innocent:

http://www.wnem.com/Global/story.asp?S=5269589

http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=v...&storyid=12983

I'm at a loss as to what is illegal about what they have done.
post #78 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Has anyone noted these two cases? They both look like the result of hysteria, I think these guys are innocent:

http://www.wnem.com/Global/story.asp?S=5269589

http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=v...&storyid=12983

That is a strange deal. What if the feds tapped their calls to known terrorists outside of the US from within the US? Maybe there is more to this than we know.

Then again, I have a buddy who sells crap he buys at Walmart on eBay for a nice profit. Maybe these guys are small-time, American-dream entrepreneurs that happen to have the wrong background.

Or they are a supplier to terrorists.

Thankfully, Chimpy the Chimp is so stupid that he supports keeping tabs on people who call Al Queada on the phone. God help us if the smart people take over. They are way to intelligent to do anything like that. There are so many shades of gray and so little time to contemplate all of them, after all.
post #79 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 09:36 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Had Jeffrey Dahmer been arrested, while driving around with his first set of Ginzu knives and chainsaw in the trunk of his car, maybe a lot of innocent lives would have been spared.

Hysteria or good police work, only time will tell. Perhaps we should reserve judgment until all the facts are out.

Instead, however, the jihadistas and their apologists choose to jump all over the police.

Good work...
post #80 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 09:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_250SE
The jihadist strikes again...good luck to you and your fellow islamic savages, thugs and murderers...
Fuck you, you piece of worm shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in