LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 02:53 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcar126
No where did I use the word "HATE". That's your "small mind" jumping to assumptions.

Didn't hear me the first time?

Children can't protect themselves. We are obligated to protect them against groups that selfishly promote their own agendas first, without regard to what really benefits children.
Can you not see the hatred in your statement? Nowhere has it been proven that same sex partners raise corrupted children. It has never been proven because it cannot be proven without blatant bias.
With your same argument you could also attack hetero parents who beat, molest, and mentally abuse their children, and their children are just as helpless to stop it, so should we progress to the next stage and police parents who we fear are not worthy enough by our standards to raise healthy kids?

Last edited by Shane; 08-09-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
You cannot possibly be that obtuse. Yes, this is about your beliefs. You framed the question, ignore the posts that address otherwise and blow off any responses as "same ol' - same ol".
Whoa! Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt...my goal here was to put aside my own beliefs, yet challenge the rhetoric so that I might be able to LEARN something about the issue I hadn't already heard. You were the first to do so...why the teeth?

Quote:
Why have 40+ states passed civil union bans, because the issue is an emotional one that defies logic and state legislatures have, for the past few years been right leaning and done all sorts of stupid things. That pendulum is starting a swing in the opposite direction. It started last week in Nebraska when the Democrats took the statehouse and will continue this fall.
The whole topic is excessively emotional, and emotions (while not invalid) are a poor foundation for legislation. The purpose of citing that statistic was not to establish an argument against gay marriage, but to remind that the "Church and State" crowd and their arguments are pushing the term "obtuse" to it's near-flattened limits.
post #43 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 02:55 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
You cannot possibly be that obtuse. Yes, this is about your beliefs. You framed the question, ignore the posts that address otherwise and blow off any responses as "same ol' - same ol".

Why have 40+ states passed civil union bans, because the issue is an emotional one that defies logic and state legislatures have, for the past few years been right leaning and done all sorts of stupid things. That pendulum is starting a swing in the opposite direction. It started last week in Nebraska when the Democrats took the statehouse and will continue this fall.
Not so fast there mister...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...adoption_x.htm
post #44 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 02:59 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Whoa! Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt...my goal here was to put aside my own beliefs, yet challenge the rhetoric so that I might be able to LEARN something about the issue I hadn't already heard. You were the first to do so...why the teeth?

The whole topic is excessively emotional, and emotions (while not invalid) are a poor foundation for legislation. The purpose of citing that statistic was not to establish an argument against gay marriage, but to remind that the "Church and State" crowd and their arguments are pushing the term "obtuse" to it's near-flattened limits.
Well it has been said that gay marriage will give gays many more benefits than they have right now. Not the least of which is the ability to talk to the doctor at the ER when the other one is very sick.

Last edited by Shane; 08-09-2006 at 03:03 PM.
post #45 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Well it has been said that gay marriage will give gays many more benefits than they have right now. Not the least of which is the ability to talk to the doctor at the ER when the other one is very sick.
Fair enough - can anyone actually enumerate these though (the ER issue aside, as has been recognized)? As I replied to McBear's post along the same lines, it seemed that most of the fiscal issues that had been cited don't stand up to scrutiny - at least not in a significant enough way as to warrant federal legislation.

EDIT: Shane changed his message, so did I.

Last edited by Qubes; 08-09-2006 at 03:14 PM.
post #46 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane

or at least make the decision to have that gerbil removed or not.
post #47 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:

Again, the entire issue boils down to a six word phrase contained within the Declaration of Independence. All argument beyond that consideration is nothing but obfuscation until that enormous hurdle is cleared...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #48 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Quote:
If our country is as you seem to assert was to be devoid of any Christian influence, is it then not for Judeo-Christian values that 45 or so states have passed legislation declaring same-sex unions illegal? It seems arrogant to infer that all of the constituents and legislators and governors of all of those states are mindless, Christian-coalition, far-right-wing nutjobs.
Just because people assume something to be legal or right, does not make it so. Thats why we have courts to interpret the law. Many states back in the 1950's the majority of citizens believed it should be illegal for Blacks to have equal protection under the law, and therefore be denied the same rights as white people. Had it not been for the Supreme Court in Brown v. Board of Education, and left to the citizens they still might not be protected under the law.

The consititution does not exist to protect the majority from the minority or popular speech from unpopular speech, but to protect those who need protection from a majority who would force their own points of views, beliefs, morals, religion on everyone else, while trying to eliminate any rights the minority may have that conflict with their own.

We refer to basic human rights like the freedom of speech and association, liberty, and equal treatment in court as civil rights, because they are fundamental rights that each and every citizen should not be denied on the basis of their sex, race, or religious belief. Not only were gay people denied of equal treatment in court ("de jure"), but they also have been victims of violence and harassment in our own society on the base of their sexual orientation ("de facto"). Equal protection of the law is guaranteed by the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments and reinforced by hundreds of local, state and federal civil rights laws. Although the Fourteenth Amendment, ratified at the end of the Civil War, was designed to ensure legal equality for African Americans, Congress wrote it as a general guarantee of equality, and the courts have interpreted the Equal Protection Clause to prohibit discrimination.

The right to privacy, or "the right to be left alone," is guaranteed by the Fourth, Fifth, Ninth and Fourteenth Amendments. In 1965, Griswold v. Connecticut struck down a state law that prohibited married couples from obtaining contraceptives, citing "zones of privacy." In 1967, Loving v. Virginia decriminalized interracial marriage. The 1972 Eisenstadt v. Baird decision recognized unmarried persons' right to contraceptives. And in 1973, Roe v. Wade recognized women's right to reproductive choice. All of these Supreme Court decisions underscore the principle that decisions about intimate relationships are personal and should be left up to the individual.

As the Supreme Court explained in Romer v. Evans, there is nothing "special" about laws which prevent people from losing jobs and homes because of who they are. Most of us take the right to participate in daily life on an equal footing for granted, the Court said, either because we already have the right under the law, or because we are not subjected to that kind of discrimination. Laws which prohibit discrimination simply give LGBT people that basic right to be equal participants in the communities in which they live.

Denying lesbian and gay couples the right to wed not only deprives them of the social and spiritual significance of marriage; it has serious, often tragic, practical consequences. Since they can not marry, the partners of lesbians and gay men are not next of kin in times of crisis; they are not consulted on crucial medical decisions; they are not given leave to care for each other; they are not each other's legal heirs, if, like most Americans, they do not have wills. Marital status is often the basis on which employers extend health insurance, pension and other benefits.

"Protecting the Constitution vs Presidental powers is not about terrorism, but of doing what is right vs. what is easy. I choose doing right... where do you stand?"
post #49 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: Nice, Fast, Luxurious.
Premium Member
Is homosexuality an anomaly? I think it is. Therefore, I cannot accept it as normal lifestyle. Homosexual behavior should not be promoted and legitimized any more so than fornication which although widely practiced, is frowned upon in many societies.
What I would like to see is legalized prostitution.

P.S. I am well aware that prostitution is fornication. But, if I am paying for the service, I demand to have certain consumer rights such as 100% satisfaction, a safe an clean environment, and the assurance that I will not be arrested.

Mi$ter Right.

Last edited by offroadwarrior; 08-09-2006 at 03:54 PM.
post #50 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Anarchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
What if killing people makes me happy? :gay:
What if you killed yourself? That would make us happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in