post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 09:04 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
The Dixie Chicks still suffer from the same malaise that affects so many other half-witted artists - they mistake their celebrity and the incessant presence of microphones and cameras in front of them as tokens of legitimacy for their exceptionally idiotic opinions. Janeane Garofalo, Alec Baldwin, Tim Robbins, Martin Sheen, John Mellencamp, Dave Matthews, those tools from REM, the list goes on and on and on.

If these people were brilliant and principled social or political scientists, they wouldn't be playing music or 'acting' for a living - no matter how much money it raked in for them. Most of the lot named above were slamming GWB as being an idiot, when few of them have ever been on a college campus as anything but a performer (much less a student).

What they have to say is not of interest; that it's someone famous saying it is of interest. I fault the media for this more than the artists, but sadly, these artists (and those like them) are too stupid to realize that they should just shut up and perform...it's much harder to look like an idiotic dolt when those recording your every word and motion aren't given material with which to work.
Well put!

Furthermore, I feel I might be more indulgent to their ranting if they were occaisionally to put their money where their mouth is.Very few of the Saint Bob's and Bono's of this world contribute a significant proportion of their wealth to the cause which they espouse.So often their empassioned pleas seem nothing more than a cynical way to raise their personal profile and fortune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 09:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveByPoster
I think they want out of the redneck market.
That is pretty much what they said on their last 60 minutes interview.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 09:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
Very few of the Saint Bob's and Bono's of this world contribute a significant proportion of their wealth to the cause which they espouse.
True, but a million dollar contribution from an artist might be worth less than the publicity and awareness they can garner.

Does Ben Aflec annoy you? He sure as hell bugs the fuck out of me. But I digress...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyc280
That is pretty much what they said on their last 60 minutes interview.
That's all well and good, but you can't make twangy songs titled "Cowboy Take Me Away" and "Goodbye Earl" and hope that smooth jazz / classical / NPR listeners become your fan base.

These ladies aren't talentless, but they're about as genuine a group as the Backstreet Boys. They're a formulaic concoction of the RIA that we've all come to loathe, designed solely to make lots of money for the record companies and be forced down your throat from every possible media outlet. Only the chords and genders were changed.

That they signed their contracts, recorded those songs, and are bitter about it, serves to remind us exactly how fudgin' stupid they all are (even if the others dissent, the fact that they allow Natalie to become their mouthpiece implies otherwise).
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 09:42 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs300CD
True, but a million dollar contribution from an artist might be worth less than the publicity and awareness they can garner.

Does Ben Aflec annoy you? He sure as hell bugs the fuck out of me. But I digress...

Well I think they would gain more respect if they augmented their gobshite with some hard cash.

Ben Aflec annoys me along with the vast majority of show-biz luvvies.First against the wall come my revolution would be Sting, Elton John, Paul Mc Cartney, Chris Martin, Geri Halliwell and of course the aforementioned Bob and Bono.
(And that's without even thinking about it)
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 09:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I second the comments of DR and QBNCGAR (I guess I third the latter!?). The chick's music* is trite and borders on what used to be called bubble-gum pop. Not to say that it doesn't sport catchy phrases and music -- which accounts for people going to see them (hey, if people will pay to hear Jessica*Simpson and Britney*Spears...) -- but it's their off-music comments that get them into trouble. Just because you're famous and have a stage doesn't mean anyone cares what you think; when I go to see someone I want to hear their music -- that is, what they're known for -- not insipid droning or catch-phrases. For much the inverse reason I didn't care to hear Clinton playing his moronic sax, either. (If you tuned in to MacNeil, Lehrer and they said, "Hey, for a change we're going to play you a song we just wrote", how fast would you change the channel?)

And Tuetone, IMHO Dylan would have made it pretty much in any age. Significant musical*talent and skillful lyricism -- even when it weaves in controversial opinion -- will never go out of style. Of course half the time you couldn't understand what he was singing, but...
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 09:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: DeLorean DMC-12
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs210
Of course half the time you couldn't understand what he was singing, but...
That's 'cause you didn't smoke enough.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Anarchy
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
That's all well and good, but you can't make twangy songs titled "Cowboy Take Me Away" and "Goodbye Earl" and hope that smooth jazz / classical / NPR listeners become your fan base.

These ladies aren't talentless, but they're about as genuine a group as the Backstreet Boys. They're a formulaic concoction of the RIA that we've all come to loathe, designed solely to make lots of money for the record companies and be forced down your throat from every possible media outlet. Only the chords and genders were changed.

That they signed their contracts, recorded those songs, and are bitter about it, serves to remind us exactly how fudgin' stupid they all are (even if the others dissent, the fact that they allow Natalie to become their mouthpiece implies otherwise).
You're nuts dude. That bitch can sing.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 11:27 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Anarchy
Here's a little Dylan for all you rightwing nut cases. Just substitute "Muslim" for "Communists". Same shit, different dance:

Talkin' John Birch Paranoia Blues

Well, I was feelin' sad and feelin' blue,
I didn't know what in the world I was gonna do,
Them Communists they wus comin' around,
They wus in the air,
They wus on the ground.
They wouldn't gimme no peace. . .

So I run down most hurriedly
And joined up with the John Birch Society,
I got me a secret membership card
And started off a-walkin' down the road.
Yee-hoo, I'm a real John Bircher now!
Look out you Commies!

Now we all agree with Hitlers' views,
Although he killed six million Jews.
It don't matter too much that he was a Fascist,
At least you can't say he was a Communist!
That's to say like if you got a cold you take a shot of malaria.

Well, I wus lookin' everywhere for them gol-darned Reds.
I got up in the mornin' 'n' looked under my bed,
Looked in the sink, behind the door,
Looked in the glove compartment of my car.
Couldn't find 'em . . .

I wus lookin' high an' low for them Reds everywhere,
I wus lookin' in the sink an' underneath the chair.
I looked way up my chimney hole,
I even looked deep inside my toilet bowl.
They got away . . .

Well, I wus sittin' home alone an' started to sweat,
Figured they wus in my T.V. set.
Peeked behind the picture frame,
Got a shock from my feet, hittin' right up in the brain.
Them Reds caused it!
I know they did . . . them hard-core ones.

Well, I quit my job so I could work alone,
Then I changed my name to Sherlock Holmes.
Followed some clues from my detective bag
And discovered they wus red stripes on the American flag!
That ol' Betty Ross . . .

Well, I investigated all the books in the library,
Ninety percent of 'em gotta be burned away.
I investigated all the people that I knowed,
Ninety-eight percent of them gotta go.
The other two percent are fellow Birchers . . . just like me.

Now Eisenhower, he's a Russian spy,
Lincoln, Jefferson and that Roosevelt guy.
To my knowledge there's just one man
That's really a true American: George Lincoln Rockwell.
I know for a fact he hates Commies cus he picketed the movie Exodus.

Well, I fin'ly started thinkin' straight
When I run outa things to investigate.
Couldn't imagine doin' anything else,
So now I'm sittin' home investigatin' myself!
Hope I don't find out anything . . . hmm, great God!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 02:29 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Quote:
The Dixie Chicks still suffer from the same malaise that affects so many other half-witted artists - they mistake their celebrity and the incessant presence of microphones and cameras in front of them as tokens of legitimacy for their exceptionally idiotic opinions. Janeane Garofalo, Alec Baldwin, Tim Robbins, Martin Sheen, John Mellencamp, Dave Matthews, those tools from REM, the list goes on and on and on.

If these people were brilliant and principled social or political scientists, they wouldn't be playing music or 'acting' for a living - no matter how much money it raked in for them. Most of the lot named above were slamming GWB as being an idiot, when few of them have ever been on a college campus as anything but a performer (much less a student).

What they have to say is not of interest; that it's someone famous saying it is of interest. I fault the media for this more than the artists, but sadly, these artists (and those like them) are too stupid to realize that they should just shut up and perform...it's much harder to look like an idiotic dolt when those recording your every word and motion aren't given material with which to work.
Right you are - Just because you can sing or act DOESN'T MEAN YOU ARE A FUCKING EXPERT on anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in