Lawmakers also vote to lift minimum wage and lower estate taxes - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 02:41 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by guage
Well their's something I just did not know.

Are you Union?
What's union have to do with life's choices? Is that all you see as an alternate? I guess where you are it's either union or none, how about personal choices, endeavors and accomplishments? Do these have to be supported by a union to build a future for Tomy and Suzy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 02:42 PM
guage

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
What's union have to do with life's choices? Is that all you see as an alternate? I guess where you are it's either union or none, how about personal choices, endeavors and accomplishments? Do these have to be supported by a union to build a future for Tomy and Suzy?
Well..... Are you?
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 02:46 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Well..... Are you?
Nope, but why is it important to you?
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 03:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I think I just got a raise.
Actually, you probably just got fired! That is usually what happens when those do-gooders increase the minimum wage.

Don't believe everything you think
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 03:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
The minimum wage act was put in place because businesses across the nation were paying workers as little as possible to work. It is NOT a market driven number. With the number of unemployed workers, plus the influx of illegals, there would be a drop in wages for many people, yet the costs of living would not change. How often do you see McDonalds lower the cost of their food or the grocery lower the base cost of milk or bread.

To say it is a union tool is asinine. Most union negotiations are about benefits, not base wages. A company would love to "just" increase the base wage.

This House bill is, however very political. The House put this bill out now to allow Republicans to vote FOR an increase in minimum wage but put the estate tax cuts onto it knowing the Senate would not approve that part of the measure. Bottom line, Reps get to say they voted for an increase in the minimum wage but none will actually pass.
"Asinine," huh? How about this for equally thoughtful assertion: To say it is NOT a union tool is asinine. Nyah-nyah.

And yes, unions also press for more untaxable benefits.

Instead of guaranteeing wages and benefits why not try something really radical and let the market dictate the value of goods, services, and labor? On the flip side, remove all taxation of any kind on food and medicine and medical treatment, then remove all income taxes and all deductions and tax just consumption. Oh yeah, remove all corporate taxes, too. Anybody have a clue who actually pays corporate taxes?

B
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Does anyone get the connection between this legislation and immigration reform? I'm sure it's just coincidence...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
The minimum wage act was put in place because businesses across the nation were paying workers as little as possible to work. It is NOT a market driven number. With the number of unemployed workers, plus the influx of illegals, there would be a drop in wages for many people, yet the costs of living would not change. How often do you see McDonalds lower the cost of their food or the grocery lower the base cost of milk or bread.

To say it is a union tool is asinine. Most union negotiations are about benefits, not base wages. A company would love to "just" increase the base wage.

This House bill is, however very political. The House put this bill out now to allow Republicans to vote FOR an increase in minimum wage but put the estate tax cuts onto it knowing the Senate would not approve that part of the measure. Bottom line, Reps get to say they voted for an increase in the minimum wage but none will actually pass.
To say it is NOT a union tool/priority is truly asinine! But you are right that it is far from a done deal, since it has to survive a Senate vote and a House/Senate Conference Committee, and there are a couple of "poison pills" in the HR.

post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Does anyone get the connection between this legislation and immigration reform? I'm sure it's just coincidence...
I really don't see it, but I can see how you might, if you are a conspiracy theory buff.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 04:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
"Asinine," huh? How about this for equally thoughtful assertion: To say it is NOT a union tool is asinine. Nyah-nyah.

...Anybody have a clue who actually pays corporate taxes?

B
I do! I do!! I do!!! Teacher, I know!!!!

The answer is "YOU and ME" and mcbear!!!!!

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 05:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
'Splainification?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in