Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc1244a
Doesn't sound like an owner who'll send his car over the cliff.

I've seen professor's car - it's very cool and well cared for. Professor's done a great job.

If worse comes to worse, professor, you can get a good price.
That's why I get emotional when it comes to this test. I always fail by a hair and get no breaks. At this time I am going to find a way to cheat the system.
I am going to either redirect the exhaust or simply like Jonathan said inject a constant additional air into the system.
It's sad that when I play by the rules I lose. Now I know what I have to do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 11:06 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: '82 380 SL, '82 300TD, '85 500SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
to the land of sun, roads w/o salt, and Republicans who have done away with emissions tests and safety inspections.
Living here in California, the land of the bureaucrats and democrats, I just have to know how in the world there could be no emissions testing in Florida? Could you tell that story in 25 words or less...or point me to a concise link? I want to be able to tell my grandkids about enlightenment. And I'm having trouble finding any on the left coast.

Let's see, if there are no emissions tests that must mean your DMV is automated and you don't have to go there and stand in line anymore, right? So that's why Floridians are always smiling! Thanks for the tidbit. I've learned sometghing today! Dave
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveward
Thanks for the tidbit.
Actually the testing was only in populated cities/counties like Tampa and Miami-Dade. A private company did the testing. The theory was that pollution was decreased by other means like cleaning up energy plant emissions and the program was no longer needed. When JEB and the republicans took over in 1999 the testing was stopped statewide. Besides, the program was a sham: if after spending $250 in good faith effort repairs and the car still failed, you were allowed to drive your car anyway - no polluters were taken off the road.

I think that's what happened to professor the last time.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Actually the testing was only in populated cities/counties like Tampa and Miami-Dade. A private company did the testing. The theory was that pollution was decreased by other means like cleaning up energy plant emissions and the program was no longer needed. When JEB and the republicans took over in 1999 the testing was stopped statewide. Besides, the program was a sham: if after spending $250 in good faith effort repairs and the car still failed, you were allowed to drive your car anyway - no polluters were taken off the road.

I think that's what happened to professor the last time.
Exactly, except that here in Maryland the crooks want $450. in repairs to get a waiver. There is nothing wrong with my car, so spending another 450 smackers this year for their pleasure just does not make any sense. The car failed in the HC test by less than 1% in the spread, they are so full of crap these people.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 03:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
If the cat convertors are old take it to a muffler shop and have a couple new ones installed. I have an 84 500 Sec AMG with 252k miles on it that had high HC and after the new cats were installed the emission #s at a Test Only smog station on the dyno were as clean as a new car! Performance and fuel mileage is the same. Out here in Ca. more and more cars are forced to go to Test Only stations which is forcing more people to make their cars "legal." Somehow it did'nt seem right to donate an AMG Sec to the "state program" for a tax write off.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 09:59 AM

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to cyberdrakon Send a message via MSN to cyberdrakon
Dave has the right idea. In CA, smot test is really tough. Hypothetically, the easiest way to pass smog is to cut out all the stock cats (clogged or useless by now) and put 2 hi capacity catalytic converters in serial on flanges.

eddie aka cyberdrakon aka drakon

SLK 55 AMG widebody (2006), C36 AMG (1995), 420 SEL (1989)
Previously: 560 SEC RennTech/AMG (1990), 420 SEL (1987).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in