Double Standard? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 240 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Double Standard?

I have a few questions, in light of the latest invasion into Lebanon to “eradicate terrorism” would it be appropriate for say Turkey to invade Iraq? To clarify this question let me put it in context. Last week fourteen Turkish soldiers got killed by Kurds that infiltrated from Iraq. We are not talking about just three here but fourteen. Of course the Kurds are not a representation of Iraq as a whole but they are a good chunk of its population nevertheless. So will it be appropriate for Turkey to espouse the Israeli tactic or is that reserved for an approved list of our friends since the US warned Turkey that any retaliation will not be permissible?
I don’t know if you see a double standard here or is it simply the way things should be? Help me understand this
DP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 240 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 10:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
I have a few questions, in light of the latest invasion into Lebanon to “eradicate terrorism” would it be appropriate for say Turkey to invade Iraq? To clarify this question let me put it in context. Last week fourteen Turkish soldiers got killed by Kurds that infiltrated from Iraq. We are not talking about just three here but fourteen. Of course the Kurds are not a representation of Iraq as a whole but they are a good chunk of its population nevertheless. So will it be appropriate for Turkey to espouse the Israeli tactic or is that reserved for an approved list of our friends since the US warned Turkey that any retaliation will not be permissible?
I don’t know if you see a double standard here or is it simply the way things should be? Help me understand this
I think you understand it pretty well. Israel gets a pass and no one else does. Should India have been allowed to go after Pakistan since a terrorist organization in their country killed over 200 in Mumbai? The list goes on.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #3 of 240 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I think you understand it pretty well. Israel gets a pass and no one else does. Should India have been allowed to go after Pakistan since a terrorist organization in their country killed over 200 in Mumbai? The list goes on.
No I don't understand it! Why the free pass? Why do we play the police role when it suits us and literally allow genocide when we judge a country's demise as a cost for what Rice said "the birth pangs of a new Middle East". Right now as we speak Rice is in Lebanon while our president declares that he opposes any cease-fire
This simply leads me to believe that our administration sees that an expandable Lebanese life or entity is the way to go rather than tackle Syria or Iran who are the main sponsors of Hizbolah.
Back to Turkey, why not allow it to invade northern Iraq? Not a member of the free pass I guess? So why in the hell do they allow US bases on their soil? Do we have US bases in Israel?
DP is offline  
post #4 of 240 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 11:19 AM
~BANNED~
 
deathrattle's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Location: Head in the clouds
Posts: 11,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^^^^

Diplomacy is inherently, invariably and necessarily 'flexible'.
deathrattle is offline  
post #5 of 240 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
79-300SD's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1979 300SD, 1983 300D Mercedes
Location: Hells Half Acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 79-300SD
Funny how the Jew haters think its fine for Muslims to kill Jews. But heaven forbid they get their asses kicked by the Jews for doing it.


You want double standards....how about that....the left remains silent when its Hamas or Hesbolah killing Jews becasue they are Muslim and can do no wrong....but let the Isrealies kick some ass and then its , OH we can't have this now...poor "innocent" muslim terrorists are dying, we have to protect them with some damn stupid cease fire.....

I geuss its time for another UN investigation...Syria and Iran are paying off the UN again. THat is painfully obvious.

----------------------------------------

Speed is a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

----------------------------------------
Proud Owner of a

1979 W116 300SD

1983 W123 300D
----------------------------------------

Come join us at http://schumanautomotive.com/forums
79-300SD is offline  
post #6 of 240 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I think you understand it pretty well. Israel gets a pass and no one else does. Should India have been allowed to go after Pakistan since a terrorist organization in their country killed over 200 in Mumbai? The list goes on.
Allowed by who?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #7 of 240 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79-300SD
Funny how the Jew haters think its fine for Muslims to kill Jews. But heaven forbid they get their asses kicked by the Jews for doing it.


You want double standards....how about that....the left remains silent when its Hamas or Hesbolah killing Jews becasue they are Muslim and can do no wrong....but let the Isrealies kick some ass and then its , OH we can't have this now...poor "innocent" muslim terrorists are dying, we have to protect them with some damn stupid cease fire.....

I geuss its time for another UN investigation...Syria and Iran are paying off the UN again. THat is painfully obvious.
Since when have I become a Jew hater? or is that your impulse response you use whenever you feel cornered?
Now, since you are pointing to the UN, do you have proof that they are getting paid off or is that another shot in the dark?
My post was not about "poor Muslim terrorists" it was about applying the same rules across the board or did that escape your narrow eyesight?
The majority of the people being killed you dimwit are civilians on both sides. This is not a Jew against Arab story; this is simply about OUR selective response. Now if I have to go with your line of thinking then because those people are Muslims then there should not be any cease-fire, am I correct?
DP is offline  
post #8 of 240 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 11:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
If Turkey (or any other country) has the stones and a perception of national threat then they'll do what they gotta do. If they don't they wont. It is a matter of power and perception. Any resemblance to legality is for convenience. International law, whatever that is, will never stop a country from pursuing its self-interest.

Bot
Botnst is offline  
post #9 of 240 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 11:45 AM
~BANNED~
 
deathrattle's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Location: Head in the clouds
Posts: 11,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Turkey has a dire record of mistreatment of Kurds within her own borders and is now subject to a degree of scrutinisation.This policy is seen as a major stumbling block to her admittance to the European Union, so now she is attempting to demonstrate restraint.
deathrattle is offline  
post #10 of 240 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
If Turkey (or any other country) has the stones and a perception of national threat then they'll do what they gotta do. If they don't they wont. It is a matter of power and perception. Any resemblance to legality is for convenience. International law, whatever that is, will never stop a country from pursuing its self-interest.

Bot
There is no perception here. Turkey was explicitly told to eat shit and shut up. Since you are so worldly through all the analogies that you use to make your points (ie Malaysia, Rome, Byzantine, etc) then by all means you must have a good understanding of how the PKK is seen from the Turkish side.
DP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Double Trouble ThrillKill Off-Topic 1 04-30-2006 09:24 AM
    Double the horn SaleenS7 W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class 18 03-07-2006 06:16 PM
    Seeing Double Curacao W202 C-Class 2 01-05-2006 04:50 AM
    Double Decked deathrattle Off-Topic 3 12-09-2005 10:21 AM
    How Democrats See Things: A Double Standard? 98MBE320 Off-Topic 7 10-08-2004 09:37 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome