The science is so obvious,why does GOP want you to believe Global Warming isn't real? - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mzsmbs's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Location: on a high bank of a creek
Posts: 7,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i agree with bot here.. notice it says approx by the pirates.. i say a couple of thousand right away and we got things heading in the right direction.. matie.. arr..



in political asylum
mzsmbs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 09:03 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2006 C-55
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to mannyaplus11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
That is not accurate.

At least if you are including theories within the rigors of Popperian falsifiability. I will agree that there are as many opinions as there are people, but most opinions are at best, mildly scientific and more often fanciful.


Bot
I love this crap. I say that there are contradicting theories and, you, right away say that isn't accurate. So, I must be wrong and you must be right. So be it.
Let me ask the gallery this, cars before 1975 had basically NO pollution controls whatsoever on them. No, cars are ten times cleaner burning and put out minute amounts of hydrocarbos into the air. But, we still blame the automobile for Global Warming.
Don't you see this as an agenda to get people out of their cars and into mass transit?

As far as the question of what have I done or offered up to what am I willing to give up???
I Have switched ALL the light bulbs in my house to compact florecents. I Have put patio shade covers on the back yard/sunny side of the house to decrease thermal gain in the afternoons, I have added a programable thermostat to control the air conditioning, I keep my cars maintained and tires properly inflated.

I have done research on solar panels, this would be especially nice living here in Southern California, however, at an initial layout of about 25-35k, it is a bit beyond my budgetary means.


NEXT!!!!!
mannyaplus11 is offline  
post #53 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Does science have an agenda other than the elimination of ignorance?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #54 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 09:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyaplus11
I love this crap. I say that there are contradicting theories and, you, right away say that isn't accurate. So, I must be wrong and you must be right. So be it.
Let me ask the gallery this, cars before 1975 had basically NO pollution controls whatsoever on them. No, cars are ten times cleaner burning and put out minute amounts of hydrocarbos into the air. But, we still blame the automobile for Global Warming.
Don't you see this as an agenda to get people out of their cars and into mass transit?

As far as the question of what have I done or offered up to what am I willing to give up???
I Have switched ALL the light bulbs in my house to compact florecents. I Have put patio shade covers on the back yard/sunny side of the house to decrease thermal gain in the afternoons, I have added a programable thermostat to control the air conditioning, I keep my cars maintained and tires properly inflated.

I have done research on solar panels, this would be especially nice living here in Southern California, however, at an initial layout of about 25-35k, it is a bit beyond my budgetary means.


NEXT!!!!!
I didn't make myself clear. When I said your proposition was not accurate I didn't mean that any of the counter-argument theories are wrong. I meant that I believe your argument favoring equal weight to both sides was fallacious. Whether you are right or wrong is not what I am about.

If I understand the argument you make, becuase there are counter theories about a scientific question, this means that both sets of theories have equal probability of being correct. This is plainly a fallacious argument, IMO, because simply proposing a counter theory does not confer validity. Scientific validity comes through hypothesis testing.

The overwhelming number of research scientists involved in GCC research believe the data and prevailing explanations support the theories that we are in a global warming trend. A smaller majority believe that there is a significant anthropogenic event. Concerning both questions, there are reasonable, careful, objective scientists who disagree. That is a good thing as (1) They maybe right and (2) It keeps everybody honest to have skeptics testing results.
Botnst is offline  
post #55 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 09:38 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2006 C-55
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to mannyaplus11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
I didn't make myself clear. When I said your proposition was not accurate I didn't mean that any of the counter-argument theories are wrong. I meant that I believe your argument favoring equal weight to both sides was fallacious. Whether you are right or wrong is not what I am about.

If I understand the argument you make, becuase there are counter theories about a scientific question, this means that both sets of theories have equal probability of being correct. This is plainly a fallacious argument, IMO, because simply proposing a counter theory does not confer validity. Scientific validity comes through hypothesis testing.

The overwhelming number of research scientists involved in GCC research believe the data and prevailing explanations support the theories that we are in a global warming trend. A smaller majority believe that there is a significant anthropogenic event. Concerning both questions, there are reasonable, careful, objective scientists who disagree. That is a good thing as (1) They maybe right and (2) It keeps everybody honest to have skeptics testing results.
With THAT, I will agree. You make a valid argument.
From a personal standpoint, I will wait to see actual, unbiased, non-political evidence that we, as a society, are causing this.

It will be interesting to watch those in Gov't when or if evidence does come down. Will they continue their finger pointing ways or will they get off their collective asses and actually work for a living. Doubtful.
mannyaplus11 is offline  
post #56 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 02:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Oh, that's easy.

42.

B
I will be 42 in January.

I am ready to join your cult and worship you.

As long as sleeping with all of the female members is part of the deal. (It usually is.)
DaveN007 is offline  
post #57 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 02:38 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
WeVonBraun's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1989w126
Location: Montreal
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
I will be 42 in January.

I am ready to join your cult and worship you.

As long as sleeping with all of the female members is part of the deal. (It usually is.)
No that is a "to Do" while you're alive.

When you're dead you have to wait until everyone else comes in. That may take times. If fact, once you're dead you only wish for the longer time it takes cause after every one is in that's over with and that's it. What are we talking about exactly here ? Pollution again. Yes.

-- wvb
WeVonBraun is offline  
post #58 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyaplus11
And there are just as many converging theories that contradict global warming. Whether it is the Hollywood elite or the liberal vs. conservative media, many contradictors to global warming aren't being heard because "it isn't hip."

I still have my doubts about global warming, I do my part, but, I still come back to the basic question which everyone is avoiding, to wit, probably making my point, "What is EVERYONE prepared to give up, adjust, spend in order to battle this phenomenon?????
Where? Where are these theories? So far, I have seen theories presented by the most reputable scientific bodies on the planet, to the Congress, all rasing alarm about global warming. Contradicting them, I see minor players, organizations tied to corporate interests, and guys out to make a buck on the speaking circuit saying it ain't so. Your post shows the real problem here - you are thinking in terms of left vs right, not science. Science isn't about "hipness" either - if someone has evidence and logic on his side, he gets a place at the table. The conservatives in this country have become so brainwashed into adversarial groupthink by their talk radio clones they see the whole world in terms of left-right politics when sound scientific reasoning is needed.
FeelTheLove is offline  
post #59 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
We have spent over $20K in the past 5 years adding both passive and active energy saving devices to our 50 year old house. This has put us in a position to be only 20% on the grid. The side effect of this has been that there have been articles in the local newspaper and tv stations on how to save money on energy and our house is used as an example. There are many houses that have started emulated some of our processes [two patents pending]

Working on car conversions to increase gas mileage. Set of restomod shop which restores cars and will install diesels in formally IC cars which boths saves fuel and reduces energy due to energy not expelled in making car.
Let me know if your patent results in incorporation. I like to buy stock in companies like that. I also know a lot of enegry-oriented investors who have money looking for out-of-oil sector opportunities for direct investment as well, drop me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 07-12-2006 at 03:29 PM.
FeelTheLove is offline  
post #60 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
If climate change is bad, then what will we do to stabilize the climate, and where will we stabilize it?

What year was the best year?

What percentage of climate change today can be attributed to man? Some of it? All of it? Most of it?

Once we stop all of that bad stuff we are doing, do we simply sit idle and let the "natural level" of change occur?

Or do we change the climate change? Would that be bad or good?

If I own a taco stand and I claim that the production of tacos is vital to our survival, wouldn't you be suspicious?

But... I AM A TACOLOGIST!

How dare you insinuate that my request for money from taxpayers for tacos has anything to do with my desire to send my kids to college!


Why is does the answer always boil down to more money, marijuana, and marxism?
The problem is caused by excessive levels of carbon dioxide produced by the internal combustion engine and methane byproducts from oil and chemical refining. You figure it out from there, taco man.
FeelTheLove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome