Peak Oil Theory is Cause of War - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:44 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
Prana25's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 04 SL55 AMG
Location: Sacramento, CA - US
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Ah yes, more narcissism from Colorado - the Massachusets of the New West. "It's about oil, because I say so." Brilliant.
That's about as insightful as saying it's not because I say so. Why is it that people like this claim it's not about the oil, then bitch and whine that we should open drilling in the US? If it's not about oil, then we don't need to drill here.

I always amazes me how people's knowledge of the Middle East is far greater than anyone else, simply because they watch Fox AND CNN news.

There's a drastic difference between it being about controlling a couple of oil fields and controlling the flow and distribution of oil.

It has nothing to do with oil? Let's ignore the fact that the US govt has been paying visits to Turkmenistan regarding the distribution and transference of oil, stressing over China's aprox $400 million dollar investment in Uzbekistan's development while we are investing millions into the development of Kazakhstan, already secured Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, etc. Let's ignore the situation in Iran was easily predicted over 3 years ago (down to imposition of sanctions, knowing Iran would blatantly reject the sanctions, thereby giving the US a reason to talk about forced invasion.... I mean... liberation).

Yes... much better to ignore they guys who ran intel in the region. Who needs direct experience based facts when we have the spoon fed truth of the news?

People simply need to take a step back from their personal moral ideologies and look at things from a cut throat business prospective. We're never shocked to hear that businesses don't care about moral values, why is it such a shock to think that governments don't either? Government is nothing but a nation's top corporation.

Overall, the situation is very complex. The US is imposing... sorry... liberating the middle east with democratic ideals and not taking into account that the lifestyle of Arabs and Persians are far different from the West and therefore cannot be approached with the same carrot (Wal-Mart on every corner) in exchange for submission. We approach each other with comments about our nice cars. They approach each other with praises unto Allah. Slightly different priorities in life.
Prana25 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Anyone who believes that oil is not a factor (if not the factor) in regard to our little ME foray, is naive beyond comprehension...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 02:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Anyone who believes that oil is not a factor (if not the factor) in regard to our little ME foray, is naive beyond comprehension...
I prefer naivety to cynicism!

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 04:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I prefer naivety to cynicism!
Naivety is NOT the antonym of cynicism. Innocence is the antonym you're looking for. Naivity is the antonym of wisdom.

I'd rather be cynical and wise than naive and innocent.

The best combination would be innocent and wise.

B
Botnst is offline  
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 05:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Naivety is NOT the antonym of cynicism. Innocence is the antonym you're looking for. Naivity is the antonym of wisdom.

I'd rather be cynical and wise than naive and innocent.

The best combination would be innocent and wise.

B
Ya, and then there is stupid, which is a Synonym for you!


http://encarta.msn.com/thesaurus_561.../cynicism.html

Don't believe everything you think

Last edited by Jayhawk; 07-09-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Jayhawk is offline  
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Ya, and then there is stupid, and that is a Synonym for you!


http://encarta.msn.com/thesaurus_561.../cynicism.html

encarta.msn.com/thesaurus_561570272/cynicism.html

Yeah, here's another with a different definition. http://www.answers.com/topic/cynicism

SFW? Neither of our ref'd websites offers an explanation as to why they propose entirely different antonyms. I offered my opinion as to why I disagree with your usage and I am willing to defend it. How about you?

Or would you prefer to use battling websites?

B
Botnst is offline  
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
Prana25's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 04 SL55 AMG
Location: Sacramento, CA - US
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know you are, but what am I?
Prana25 is offline  
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Be kind to the bird, plant-man. After all, you need him to spread your seeds.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 05:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Yeah, here's another with a different definition. http://www.answers.com/topic/cynicism

SFW? Neither of our ref'd websites offers an explanation as to why they propose entirely different antonyms. I offered my opinion as to why I disagree with your usage and I am willing to defend it. How about you?

Or would you prefer to use battling websites?

B
Definitions of jackass on the Web:
  • fathead: a man who is a stupid incompetent fool
  • jack: male donkey
    and
  • botnst

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 05:28 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
Prana25's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 04 SL55 AMG
Location: Sacramento, CA - US
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell me that this is an ongoing joke now. .... please
Prana25 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome