Evolution, do you believe? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
If you try to make something idiot proof , someone will make a better idiot !
Human beings , who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others , are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:08 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
In the case of evolution through natural selection (which is I assume what you folks mean when you use the term, "evolution"), the evidence in its favor is all circumstantial. Being circumstantial doesn't make it wrong, but it isn't an air-tight, law of nature as say, Thermodynamics is. It is a very strongly supported theory with a few embarrassing apparent exceptions here and there.

Some popular promoters of evolution have a fervency about their belief in evolution that any religionist will recognize as similar to their own fervency and mostly label as another incarnation of Satan. Most western religionists who have a serious conflict with evolution are some sort of Biblical literalist. Most western religionists are not Biblical literalists. Many western religionists see no conflict between evolution through natural selection and their religion.

Back when I used to work in organismal biology I found that the evolution dogma was a very useful framework on which to hang explanations of relatedness in form and function of organs between species. To me, I didn't find evolution a threat to God or whatever. Most of the time that argument seemed rather trivial. See, one can have develop a very reasonable description of relatedness without dragging some unsuspecting deity into the discussion. In that case, I invoke a rule of parsimony that suggests that no theory should be more complicated than necessary. It works like this: If a deity is unnecessary for a description of some event or other, don't invoke the deity. I think it was a French mathematician, LaGrange (?) who, in a similar context opined, "I have no need of that hypothesis."

Curiously, (or interestingly, or ironically, depending on one's perspective) that rule of parsimony was promoted most effectively by a Christian monk in the Middle Ages. William of Oakham.

Bot
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Curiously, (or interestingly, or ironically, depending on one's perspective) that rule of parsimony was promoted most effectively by a Christian monk in the Middle Ages. William of Oakham.
Just bringing that full circle - us youngsters will best recognize this as "Occam's Razor", as discussed in the book/movie Contact by Carl Sagan.
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 10:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
Poignant cartoon.

When I was in high school a Jehovah's Witness kid in my form lost his brother after routine surgery due to his parent's adherence to the 'no blood transfusions' doctrine.These are the times my tolerance for religious absurdity become stretched.

a knock at the door and they ask, 'Are you a Jehovah's Witness?"

I said Gee, I didn't even see the accident!
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 10:22 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman
a knock at the door and they ask, 'Are you a Jehovah's Witness?"

I said Gee, I didn't even see the accident!
I'm in the Jehovah's Witness protection program. I have to go around knocking on people's doors and telling them I'm somebody else.

post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 10:59 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
One doesn't "believe" in evolution as much as accepting the facts that support it.

One does "believe" in creationism because it is religion based and calls for "faith" that is NOT supported by any facts. That's why they call it faith, because it calls for "blind" belief.

Religion always answers it's own questions - "God is never wrong, because God is always right".

Circular reasoning is not logic based.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 11:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
Easter Bunny, Santa Claus...God. We all grow out of it. At least the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus brought some fun into young lives. God just brought fear.

2009 BMW Z4, 2014 MB 300S BLUETEC HYBRID, 2005 MB SLK 200
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 11:52 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkscrew
Easter Bunny, Santa Claus...God. We all grow out of it. At least the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus brought some fun into young lives. God just brought fear.
I think alot of people are Christians because of the threat that their kind and benevolent god would send them to "burn in HELL" for eternity for non-belief.
That's a pretty scary threat to most people.
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Thats why I've got my money on Odin , not only has this cat got a eight legged horse , he drinks and like a bit of a dust up and the higher your body count the better . Is there a down side here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in