BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
What Formula 1 race yesterday?
The US Grand Prix at Indy was Sunday. Temps were in the high 90's and the racing was good except for the turn 1 crash on the first lap which took out 7 of the 22 cars. Both Mercedes were taken out. Montoya seemed to have hit the brakes late and punted Kimi in the rear starting the event. Took out Scott Speed [first American since early 90's - Michael Andretti] and flipped Nick Heidfield several times in the kitty litter. No one hurt. Rest of the race looked like this.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 10:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
Jeez, I missed you. I was there. What the hell happened at the first turn? From my vantage point (camped out at about 6:15 am) in the Tower bleachers accessible with the cheapo tickets, I saw the action in real time but couldn't make out what really happened. The replays on the screens were not much better and the announcer had no clue. Jim
I was at the top of the Turn 10 stands so I had a real good view of the end of the inside straight and 4 turns. We have bunches of action from P3 back.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #83 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 11:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
The US Grand Prix at Indy was Sunday. Temps were in the high 90's and the racing was good except for the turn 1 crash on the first lap which took out 7 of the 22 cars. Both Mercedes were taken out. Montoya seemed to have hit the brakes late and punted Kimi in the rear starting the event. Took out Scott Speed [first American since early 90's - Michael Andretti] and flipped Nick Heidfield several times in the kitty litter. No one hurt. Rest of the race looked like this.
Interesting: I was watching Sam Hornish win the IRL at Kansas Speedway, on his birthday. Actually, I was watching Danica Patrick and her Letterman crew!
Attached Images

Don't believe everything you think

Last edited by Jayhawk; 07-04-2006 at 12:03 PM.
post #84 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I understand the IRL race was very good. I have it recorded but have not seen it yet.

Do you ever wonder why folks make fun of NASCAR drivers because they only turn left but never do the same with Indy car drivers? I was thinking about that the other night when a NASCAR commentator was saying Boris Said was the "Greatest Road Racer in the World". Very good, yes, Greatest, I don't think so.

So now Michael Schumacher has FIVE total Indy wins with Rick Mears, AJ Foyt, Al Unser and Jeff Gordon having FOUR. Gordon is the only one who can come back.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #85 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Do you ever wonder why folks make fun of NASCAR drivers because they only turn left but never do the same with Indy car drivers? I was thinking about that the other night when a NASCAR commentator was saying Boris Said was the "Greatest Road Racer in the World". Very good, yes, Greatest, I don't think so.
IndyCar, to it's credit, is starting to embrace road courses a bit more. It used to be pretty stupid, watching a bunch of amateurs plow into one another on pace laps, etc. It seems like the IRL and CART are on the cusp of a re-merger - ostensibly, the proctologist found a way to extract Tony George's head from his ass (or they pulled the life support plug on Mary - one of the two).

For Boris Said to be "the greatest road racer in the world" implies that the world is indeed pretty damned small - you don't have to look far to disprove this. (Where was Boris during Le Mans?)

I like the guy, because he knows how to turn right, but he's got nothing on Tony Stewart or Jeff Gordon. Not sure if anyone else caught it, but during the Speed Channel coverage of the USGP, it certainly sounded like old #24 would take an F1 ride if he got the right opportunity, and it sounded like there's more than one team that would be willing to give him the shot (Williams F1 chief among them).
post #86 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Not sure if anyone else caught it, but during the Speed Channel coverage of the USGP, it certainly sounded like old #24 would take an F1 ride if he got the right opportunity, and it sounded like there's more than one team that would be willing to give him the shot (Williams F1 chief among them).
The trackside interview by the track announcer pretty much asked the same thing and he shut the door on it. I think he has the skill set to drive F1 but would have to give up the sweetheart deal he has with NASCAR as there 4 time Champion. He is the only guy to be able to gain toward the 100 victories at this time. Too much parity and skill at the young end of the pile. Gordon is going to try Rolex 24 next year which will be a good diversion.

On the Williams note, when he did the "trading paint" with JPM a couple of years ago, he ran the F1 car pretty quick. I would think he could get to speed without much trouble and Williams need all the help it could get. Maybe even a DuPont sponsorship. So who knows.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #87 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Surely A Large Human

Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff is fast, but more importantly, he's an American. He pretty much admits that he's not in the type of physical condition he would need to be in if he were to race a full season, or even a full weekend. His comment on that was pretty funny..."Have you seen the size of Fernando [Alonso]'s neck?"
post #88 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 06:12 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Actually, I was watching Danica Patrick and her Letterman crew!
What's Vitor doing their in their midst? He must be homesick for the old team. I tried to watch a little of the race from the suite in Indy during the F1 race. God, it's boring. Reunification is the only hope for open wheel racing in America, or it's over.
post #89 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Priceless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
"New rule, read.
I have noticed that the word "Merkin" is being used on this forum recently. It seems to be used as a disrespectful slang word for American. Since this is a private, US based and run website the use of this word will no longer be allowed. If the mods catch it in a post we will edit the post and PM a warning. If it continues the mods will decide on a harsher punishment."
post #90 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 07:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Anarchy
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Big Brother is watching, baby.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in