Inane or insane; you be the judge - Page 17 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300SD 1986 300SDL 1989 300SE 1998 740iL
Location: NY
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Now there ya go, putting the onus on me for your failure to see that what I said was what I meant and I said it repeatedly. I'm beginning to feel like Horton. Hopefully we're clear on this so I wont have to iterate a sixth time.

Well, if anybody feels strongly about something that a business is doing, for good or bad, one should of course, tell the management. It is up to the management how it will respond, not up to the customer.

based on management's response, the customer may choose to take further steps. It's a dance.
What you repeatedly said was your interpretation of yourself as a guest of the website.

What I repeatedly requested was for you to recognize the difference in your response to a rule of law as posted on the website versus a rule of law as posted by the government.

You finally accomplished that end in the last post. And, if repeated, it would be for the second time.

I agree, and note that your prior responses regarding attending such a website as a "guest", and tolerating any rule put forth because of your status, are in direct opposition to your current statement above.

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
Brian Carlton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #162 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 01:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
What you repeatedly said was your interpretation of yourself as a guest of the website.

What I repeatedly requested was for you to recognize the difference in your response to a rule of law as posted on the website versus a rule of law as posted by the government.

You finally accomplished that end in the last post. And, if repeated, it would be for the second time.

I agree, and note that your prior responses regarding attending such a website as a "guest", and tolerating any rule put forth because of your status, are in direct opposition to your current statement above.
Well, I guess what we have here is a failure to communicate.

I feel like I've been posting the same cussed thing in various iterations and adornments and you think I'm dodging and avoiding something that I can't seem to grasp. Am I mistaken? I understand the relationship and I accept it for what it is. If I don't, I leave. It is so simple even my gecko or a caveman or a duck could understand it without staying in a moterl last night.

The particulars of this event I think the whole thing is somewhere between inconsequential and trivial. If I had found it upsetting I would have squealed and if I got no satisfaction, packed my bags.

It's their ball and their yard and their rules. If I don't like it I'll sniff into my hankie, take my hurt wittle fewings and go somewhere that they whub me.

B
Botnst is offline  
post #163 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
old300D's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Well, I guess what we have here is a failure to communicate.

I feel like I've been posting the same cussed thing in various iterations and adornments and you think I'm dodging and avoiding something that I can't seem to grasp. Am I mistaken? I understand the relationship and I accept it for what it is. If I don't, I leave. It is so simple even my gecko or a caveman or a duck could understand it without staying in a moterl last night.

The particulars of this event I think the whole thing is somewhere between inconsequential and trivial. If I had found it upsetting I would have squealed and if I got no satisfaction, packed my bags.

It's their ball and their yard and their rules. If I don't like it I'll sniff into my hankie, take my hurt wittle fewings and go somewhere that they whub me.

B
Yup, you summed it up. Except for the part about understanding the relationship; you clearly don't. But you seem to have an innate acquiesence towards rules, regardless of the specific. So go ahead, take your wittle fewings, and try not to offend any Merkins.

OBK #35

old300D is offline  
post #164 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 01:35 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300SD 1986 300SDL 1989 300SE 1998 740iL
Location: NY
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Well, I guess what we have here is a failure to communicate.

I feel like I've been posting the same cussed thing in various iterations and adornments and you think I'm dodging and avoiding something that I can't seem to grasp. Am I mistaken? I understand the relationship and I accept it for what it is. If I don't, I leave. It is so simple even my gecko or a caveman or a duck could understand it without staying in a moterl last night.

The particulars of this event I think the whole thing is somewhere between inconsequential and trivial. If I had found it upsetting I would have squealed and if I got no satisfaction, packed my bags.

It's their ball and their yard and their rules. If I don't like it I'll sniff into my hankie, take my hurt wittle fewings and go somewhere that they whub me.

B
Clearly.

You would be correct.

The particulars of this event are somewhat inconsequetial and trivial. On that we agree.

On the situation of "their yard and their rules", we also agree.

On the part where "If I don't like it...................", we clearly do not agree. Personally, if I didn't like a policy..........or a banning.........I'd make my view clearly known to the powers that be. On some occasions, a positive result might be forthcoming..........as you might agree.

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
Brian Carlton is offline  
post #165 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 01:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
Clearly.

You would be correct.

The particulars of this event are somewhat inconsequetial and trivial. On that we agree.

On the situation of "their yard and their rules", we also agree.

On the part where "If I don't like it...................", we clearly do not agree. Personally, if I didn't like a policy..........or a banning.........I'd make my view clearly known to the powers that be. On some occasions, a positive result might be forthcoming..........as you might agree.
On occassion I have PM'd the mods concerning things that I thought might be helpful. I have never, ever requested somebody be shut-up or banned either by PM or on a forum. I have never asked that the Mods censor certain words or people and certainly never asked that an idea be censored. I have asked that a few banned people be reinstated. I have done that both publically and privately. As general rule, I don't PM the mods. I rarely PM other people, though there are a few with whom I feel a kindred spirit and so, PM on a friendly basis. Some I even share email with and have met, or will meet at some point in the future. A few no longer participate on the fora and so we email and stay in touch. Some you can easily guess but I'll bet there are a few that would surprise you.

I have been PM'd by people asking me to get involved in personal squabbles. No thank you, I'm a participant not a referee.

I have been PM'd by a mod to explain why the mod did something and he asked that I make no big deal out of it. I accepted his explanation and I shut-up. On one occasion I was banned by a moderator for a comment later demonstrated not to be as he had assumed. I did not complain and I did not go back. In all honesty, I didn't give a damn. It just quite simply doesn't mean that much to me. A few other folks did complain and the webmaster very graciously emailed me a note explaining the circumstances, which I fully understood and to this day, I bear no ill will to that moderator who banned me. His experiences in regards to what I had said were so awful that I felt compassion toward him. And still do. We never know who or what the other person has been through. On learning that, one often finds that one has a bit more tolerance for the occasional zaney behavior of others.

B

Last edited by Botnst; 07-10-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Botnst is offline  
post #166 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Surely A Large Human
 
Qubes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Location: Between Earth and Mars
Posts: 34,252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Spotting a trend here...


Fig. 1 - Circle Jerk Diagram


Last edited by Qubes; 07-10-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Qubes is offline  
post #167 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 01:56 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300SD 1986 300SDL 1989 300SE 1998 740iL
Location: NY
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
In all honesty, I didn't give a damn. It just quite simply doesn't mean that much to me.
I clearly recall the incident in question.

I find the conclusion baffling. Speaking personally, simply walking away from that site would be extremely difficult.

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
Brian Carlton is offline  
post #168 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 02:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
I clearly recall the incident in question.

I find the conclusion baffling. Speaking personally, simply walking away from that site would be extremely difficult.
Well there ya go, that is the reason we cannot seem to connect, communications-wise.

Our basic premise of value is incongruent, therefore our reactions are mutually incomprehensible. Now it all makes sense why you were so insistent about my personal reaction. It's amazing how one little piece of the puzzle affects everything else.

Concerning the particulars of the alluded to interaction, if you're interested I'll PM a more direct description but there are some scum on this forum that I'd prefer be left unaware of the personal lives of others, especially from another forum. But since you're on both and we have a long history I don't have a problem with you knowing what happened in that sordid exchange.
Botnst is offline  
post #169 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 02:51 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300SD 1986 300SDL 1989 300SE 1998 740iL
Location: NY
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Our basic premise of value is incongruent, therefore our reactions are mutually incomprehensible. Now it all makes sense why you were so insistent about my personal reaction. It's amazing how one little piece of the puzzle affects everything else.

Concerning the particulars of the alluded to interaction, if you're interested I'll PM a more direct description but there are some scum on this forum that I'd prefer be left unaware of the personal lives of others, especially from another forum. But since you're on both and we have a long history I don't have a problem with you knowing what happened in that sordid exchange.
Probably all too true.

The details of the sordid exchange are of no particular value to me. In fact, I do believe we've tossed this around in the past. However, I'd very much appreciate understanding your capability of simply walking away from a site where you have nearly 11K posts. PM's are fine.

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
Brian Carlton is offline  
post #170 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 03:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
Probably all too true.

The details of the sordid exchange are of no particular value to me. In fact, I do believe we've tossed this around in the past. However, I'd very much appreciate understanding your capability of simply walking away from a site where you have nearly 11K posts. PM's are fine.
Nah, that's not personal, or if it is, it makes no difference to me.

For me this forum stuff is an amusement. Some folks like to watch TV or play poker, etc. I like playing with ideas and find interesting players here and there. Most of them seem likeable, intelligent, and reasonable and those I tend to give careful thought to answering and consideration when I might misunderstand what tehy're saying. Most people both here and there don't agree with me very much which lets me know that I am "out there" as compared to the norms of both sites. That's an interesting nugget of knowledge, too.

Playing with ideas does two things for me that I appreciate. First, it forces me to look more deeply into what and why I believe as I do. Sometimes that reflection forces me to change. I hate doing it, but there it is. The second thing it does is improves my skill at communicating ideas. Like for example, your persistence 9above) forced me to return to the topic a number of times until we finally discovered that the block to our understanding each other is taht we have a fundamental difefrence in valuation of these sites. that was a wonderful reminder about assumptions and their value in finding truth.

Why don't I value this or other fora more? I don't know. I don't feel peersonally invested in the fora, but I do have an investment in some of the people. So I keep up with the people with or without the forum. Also, there are lots of other places to go for interactions. I do not see it as a substitute for a real community of real people, into which I am fully integrated in "real life." Outside of my door I have a rich life with other people that I would dearly miss if the door no longer opened.

I'm not sure that fully explains it. In all honesty, I had never thought to consider it in any depth. It is an interesting question.

B
Botnst is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome