post #141 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
You restate all the options but fail to address my original question to you.

You view the website in a different manner than you view the politics of the country or, I presume, the operation of a corporation for which you are an owner.

Naturally, in a store owned by someone else, they have complete rights to post any rule for which they see fit. This is not the discussion.

The discussion is the reason you choose to accept the new rule without discussion........or leave.........where you never exhibit such behavior when confronted with rules or polices for which you disagree when it is government related.

As a side note, HD has complete rights to have one cash register open on a Saturday afternoon. It's their store........their policy. Presumably, you would accept their policy and wait on a 15 minute line.......or you would go to Lowes.

However, I choose to call the manager on the telephone and complain bitterly about the miserable treatment of the customers of the store. If enough people act in similar fashion, maybe the manager will change the policy.

But, if I simply walk away from the store without a fight, there is little liklihood that such a policy will ever change.

You typically don't walk away without a fight..........with the exception of the rules on this website.
I see absolutely no difference between carrying-on a conversation in a retail store or a physician's waiting room and carrying-on a conversation on a forum.

The office manager has a right to ask people to maintain a state of decorum that the manager feels appropriate. If a customer (or employee) doesn't like it he can ignore the manager and keep talking; offer to discuss it with the manager; change his behavior; or he can leave.

The manager also has choices. He can ignore the behavior that he finds obnoxious or he can choose to discuss it with the perps to search for an acceptible accommodation or he can ask them to find a more appropriate venue.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
Yes, if you care to review the title to this entire thread, it deals with the apparent "oddness" of such rules in the first place. Again, it's about the peculiarity of the policy, not whether they have the right or ability to enforce such bungholery.

And, let's face it, this was a very bizarre policy.
With this I am in agreement.

It's a silly thing and getting all twisted-up in righteous indignation is a derivative of silly. Not sure what the word is but we probably wouldn't like it.

B
post #143 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Of course, you yourself would patronize such establishment, even if the office manager came out and handed you a list of words that you could not use in any given conversation. Mercedes Shop is essentially a club composed of a bunch of right wing pricks. You belong there. I wear my bannings as a badge of honor, unwilling to sell out my core beliefs in free expression to a bunch of red neck assholes on a car site. You on the other hand, routinely go there to have the parameters of your behavior defined for you by a bunch of shitheads, and defend their bizarre behavior with a sneer.
post #144 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:23 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300SD 1986 300SDL 1989 300SE 1998 740iL
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
I see absolutely no difference between carrying-on a conversation in a retail store or a physician's waiting room and carrying-on a conversation on a forum.

I'm failing to grasp the relevance of the physican's waiting room.

The issue is a matter of policy from a specific website or a specific retail store and your reluctance to offer any objection to said policy.

This is in direct contrast to your approach to government policies.

Maybe a bit of reflection is in order..........we seem to be restating the same points without any progression.

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
post #145 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:29 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
I wear my bannings as a badge of honor, unwilling to sell out my core beliefs in free expression to a bunch of red neck assholes on a car site.
I've only got two points to make regarding this BS:

"matt7531"
"gnomer"

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
post #146 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Of course, you yourself would patronize such establishment, even if the office manager came out and handed you a list of words that you could not use in any given conversation. Mercedes Shop is essentially a club composed of a bunch of right wing pricks. You belong there. I wear my bannings as a badge of honor, unwilling to sell out my core beliefs in free expression to a bunch of red neck assholes on a car site. You on the other hand, routinely go there to have the parameters of your behavior defined for you by a bunch of shitheads, and defend their bizarre behavior with a sneer.
Hi Kirk!
post #147 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I'm failing to grasp the relevance of the physican's waiting room.

The issue is a matter of policy from a specific website or a specific retail store and your reluctance to offer any objection to said policy.

This is in direct contrast to your approach to government policies.

Maybe a bit of reflection is in order..........we seem to be restating the same points without any progression.
We're both using words but failing to communicate.

Concerning the particulars of this instance, I don't give a damn. Is that clear?

I see no difference between an office manager in any establishment demanding some level of decorum (physician's waiting room being one instance) and a forum demanding the same. In all cases the choices are the same.

It's real simple: If you feel all boogered about it then go talk to the manager. If you get no satisfaction, leave. If enough people feel as you feel then competitors will benefit from the exodus and you will find a new, happier home.

I don't understand why folks are so incensed over the thing. It's just a commercial internet site. They want to make money off of you and me. If they don't, that's their fault. Punish them with your absence. Or not. Do whatever pleases you.

It just seems so silly to me.

B
post #148 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 08:15 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
I don't understand why folks are so incensed over the thing. It's just a commercial internet site. They want to make money off of you and me. If they don't, that's their fault. Punish them with your absence. Or not. Do whatever pleases you.

It just seems so silly to me.

B

There is no disagreement on what people should, or should not do regarding the rules at a given internet site.

My entire discussion was focused on you. The dichotomy between your beliefs regarding the site vs. your beliefs regarding other policies of the government was my interest.

My thought was that a person of convictions would be bothered by a rule that, on the surface, seems to be instituted without any forethought.

But, clearly, I was mistaken............for reasons unknown.

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
post #149 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
My thought was that a person of convictions would be bothered by a rule that, on the surface, seems to be instituted without any forethought.
It was instituted as a punitive measure against one or two members. And, despite the other "Nadian" moderator's assertion this morning, no direct attempt was ever made to simply ask that the word not be used, prior to the posting of the policy directive. Had that happened, I more than likely would've stopped using the term, simply because it would've felt uncomfortable to do so.

bizarre policy -> curious mismanagement = silly brouhaha
post #150 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 08:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
= the most boring forum on the net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in