Inane or insane; you be the judge - Page 13 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 05:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: Anarchy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah yes, Kansas. Follow the yellow cake road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 05:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
Why must you resort to trifling buffoonery here? This concerns a rather dry matter of site policy, not moral outrage at foreign policy excesses or whatnot.
Definitions of whatnot on the Web:

Don't believe everything you think

Last edited by Jayhawk; 07-09-2006 at 05:51 PM.
post #123 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 05:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveByPoster
Ah yes, Kansas. Follow the yellow cake road.

I did
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wilson whines.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	91339  

Don't believe everything you think
post #124 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 05:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Looks like a nice assortment.

B
Attached Images

post #125 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 06:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
McBear, what are you about, now? Of course it is fair to talk about anything here. You want to talk about whatever you wish, that's fine with me. So talk.

I am intrigued by Z going-on with his deeply offended sense of righteousness as though some moral outrage has occurred and is doing it from a safe distance. The man appears to have a safely circumscribed concept of honor. He fails to take his moral stand in the face of that which he finds obnoxious and offensive and instead, comes for succor among people of a like mind. It is typical, however.

Hope that helps you understand. If not, do me the courtesy of addressing me directly with your questions.

Bot
I was actually questioning why some folks did not think it was an appropriate conversation here on OT and I think that it is very appropriate as I hate to see any board censor a word or a thought just because a mod does not think it is 'right'. If, as Z posted, this board stopped you or JHawk from posting a phrase or certain support for Bush or an idea, you would understand the surprise and maybe bitch about it on another board like Z has.

I did not direct my original comments at anyone as they were just a warmup since I have been off for a couple of days and needed to get loosened up before coming back in. I was down your way for two days at NO NAS. I still can't get used to 90 by 8am.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #126 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Gone........

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #127 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I was actually questioning why some folks did not think it was an appropriate conversation here on OT and I think that it is very appropriate as I hate to see any board censor a word or a thought just because a mod does not think it is 'right'. If, as Z posted, this board stopped you or JHawk from posting a phrase or certain support for Bush or an idea, you would understand the surprise and maybe bitch about it on another board like Z has.

I did not direct my original comments at anyone as they were just a warmup since I have been off for a couple of days and needed to get loosened up before coming back in. I was down your way for two days at NO NAS. I still can't get used to 90 by 8am.
Ah, I understand. It was the use of my handle in your post during a bit of back-and-forth that got my attention.

I've been working on some time-series mapping projects in the Barataria, which is just off the runway at Callender Field. Mostly work from an airboat when I've been surveying or ground-truthing, which I haven't done in a couple of years. I do fly over the area in our floatplane. The hand-off to Callender is one of those transitions that is interesting in a small plane at low altitude. They're always been very accomodating, except immediately post 9/11 when they were kind of pissy.

The recent hurricanes caused tremendous retreat of the marsh in that area. F-14's doing touch-and-go's have scared the spit outta me. Ever since I was a kid the USN has tried to close that place and the Support Activity nearby. Powerful forces in Congress seem to protect it all from harm. Probably a confluence of several heavily Democratic voting districts in a pro-military state.

Coincidentally, that was my final duty station for a month as my ship went to the Med. I took a transfer from NOB. NOLA was the best duty I ever had for just plain fun, but it was a nowhere place if you wanted to be a career sailor.

B
post #128 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 07:50 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300SD 1986 300SDL 1989 300SE 1998 740iL
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst

Now would you say that a customer and a company is analogous to a citizen and his country? I think that fails on several grounds. First, a closer analogy would be stockholder is to company as citizen is to country. A customer is more closely analogous to a visiting alien. Legal aliens have some of the rights and privileges of citizenship, but certainly not all. For example, citizens and stockholders may take an active role in changing laws or rules while aliens and customers generally may not.

Do you see where I'm going with this?
-------------------------------------------------
I do and the analogy of a customer is a good one. Most companies view the customer as a visiting alien. If he remains........fine.........if not.......well so be it. My latest example of this behavior is painfully reinforced during my recent visit to Home Depot.

However, as a practical matter, a citizen of a country, or a stockholder of a corporation (with 100 shares) has, effectively, the same amount of clout with respect to changing the rules as the customer of a corporation or a visitor to a website. We all can complain bitterly regarding specific policies that we are not fond of on a website, or in a corporation, or in a government for that matter. Without substanstial support from others who think like we do, our net effect is a big zero.

So, although my analogy might be technically incorrect, the effect is the same. If you don't like your country, your corporation, or you internet website, you're free to leave it, or you're free to complain bitterly about it............your choice.

I remain a bit perplexed as to your laissez-faire attitude with respect to the website, but your passionate responses when confronted with government polices that you are not in agreement. The end result is largely the same.

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
post #129 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 07:53 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300SD 1986 300SDL 1989 300SE 1998 740iL
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Gone........

Well, amazing what a short and well written note can effect..................

Brian Carlton
1984 300 SD
1986 300 SDL
1987 300 SDL
post #130 of 219 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Type "Merkin" into a post over there, and your response will be the deleted stars of oblivion. It's still a profoundly bizarre policy, but at least the threats of eternal banishment and damnation are no longer part and parcel. Hopefully that was a learning experience for all involved. Let us now bow our heads in prayer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in