post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FEMA: When you think you've heard it all

It just makes me shake my head in wonder at the degree of managerial incompetence.

Your tax dollars.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/3223791.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 12:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
It just makes me shake my head in wonder at the degree of managerial incompetence.

Your tax dollars.

It just doesn't stop. I would hope that FEMA can trump the ex wife with federal charges and maybe get some money back.

Heck of a job Chertie.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst

Your tax dollars.

Why did you put that green thingy in there?

FEMA seems to be the new whipping-boy of the anti-government group.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FEMA.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	89668  

Don't believe everything you think
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Why did you put that green thingy in there?

FEMA seems to be the new whipping-boy of the anti-government group.

I'm betting it's a Google "innovation." It's like an STD. All I did was insert an unprotected post and I got a case of "Green Thingy."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
A Very Late Checkout
New York’s last Katrina evacuees prepare to depart (under duress) from the JFK Airport Holiday Inn.
By Matthew Philips

(New York Magazine)

This winter, FEMA put up over 300 Hurricane Katrina evacuees in New York City hotels. Almost all of them have gone back to their lives, their jobs. But not Theon Johnson. He’s currently sprawled out watching Halloween 5 on one of the two full-size beds in his room at the JFK Airport Holiday Inn. He is one of four evacuees still living in a hotel in the city.

The others left in February and March, when, after spending more than $500 million, FEMA stopped paying for hotel rooms housing some 40,000 evacuees across the country. That left many scrambling for places to live. But thanks to the city’s squatters-rights law, evacuees here were safe. Their rooms weren’t paid for, but since they’d been in them for more than 30 days, the hotels couldn’t just kick them out. Only a judge’s order could evict them.

And Johnson, 49, isn’t that motivated to leave. For one thing, AMC’s in the middle of its “Thrill Me” marathon. Next up, Gothika. “Halle Berry,” he says with lazy lust. These days he’s usually up all night—it’s hard to sleep on an empty stomach. When he has to, he’ll go outside and beg for change, but he doesn’t really like that too much. Most days he just showers and gets back in bed, showers and gets back in bed. Once a week he and another evacuee, a diabetic named Larry, walk to a church off the Van Wyck and get canned goods. When Johnson’s caseworker, Sharon, comes around, she gives him some bus passes and maybe a few bucks, but she’s getting frustrated. “They sit around on their butts watching TV. There’s only but so much I can do if they’re not willing to help themselves.”

After being flown here for free back in September, Johnson’s been at the Holiday Inn since Super Bowl Sunday. On April 21, the hotel served Johnson with three notices of occupancy termination, saying that it would begin court proceedings if he wasn’t out by May 9. He wasn’t, so it did. If the court boots him, Johnson could end up in one of the city’s homeless shelters. He’s been broke for over a month now. FEMA sent him $9,000 in housing aid, but he spent it all on booze, cigarettes, some clothes, and food—partying, mostly. “I spent my money just the way I wanted, and I think [fema] should send me some more,” he says. But it won’t. Johnson’s caseworker says FEMA offered to buy him a ticket home to New Orleans in February, but he didn’t take it. FEMA won’t now. So he’s stuck, at least until the Holiday Inn pays him to leave.

Attorneys with the Legal Aid Society have been negotiating a buyout deal for Johnson and the remaining evacuees, and expect a settlement—he heard about $1,200—imminently. He says he’ll use the money to get a room for a few nights and have some fun before flying back to his little house in New Orleans’ Third Ward. But for now, Gothika’s on. “Halle Berry,” Johnson says. “Halle . . . Berry.”
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: DeLorean DMC-12
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
FEMA sent him $9,000 in housing aid, but he spent it all on booze, cigarettes, some clothes, and food—partying, mostly. “I spent my money just the way I wanted, and I think [fema] should send me some more,” he says.
Why the hell are they paying this prick $1200 to leave??? Time to bring in the county mounties and boot his lazy ass out. He has a home in NOLA. He should go there.

And people wonder why FEMA has got such a bad rap. With just a smidgen of competence in the management of all that money and we taxpayers wouldn't be paying for this guy to sit on his ass all day and watch Halloween 5 (which sucked, btw.)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 05:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian80
Why the hell are they paying this prick $1200 to leave??? Time to bring in the county mounties and boot his lazy ass out. He has a home in NOLA. He should go there.

And people wonder why FEMA has got such a bad rap. With just a smidgen of competence in the management of all that money and we taxpayers wouldn't be paying for this guy to sit on his ass all day and watch Halloween 5 (which sucked, btw.)
Where's you green thingy, honey?

Don't believe everything you think
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 05:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Where's you green thingy, honey?
I believe she practiced safe post

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in