BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
This just in: Jesus NOT a Republican

Jesus Is Not a Republican

In November 2002, 30 years after my previous visit to Wheaton College to hear George McGovern, I approached the podium in Edman Chapel to address the student body. At evangelical colleges like Wheaton, in Illinois, there are two kinds of required gatherings: chapel and convocation. The former is religious in nature, whereas a speaker at convocation has the license to be far more discursive, even secular — or political. The college's chaplain, however, had invited me to preach in chapel, not convocation, and so, despite temptation, I delivered a homily that was, as I recall, not overly long, appropriate to the occasion, and reasonably well received.

I doubt very much that I will be invited back to Edman Chapel. One of the benefits of being reared within evangelicalism, I suppose, is that you understand the workings of the evangelical subculture. I know, for example, that when my new book on evangelicals appears, the minions of the religious right will seek to discredit me rather than engage the substance of my arguments. The initial wave of criticism, as an old friend who has endured similar attacks reminded me, will be to deny that I am, in fact, really an evangelical Christian. When that fails — and I'll put up my credentials as an evangelical against anyone's! — the next approach will be some gratuitous personal attack: that I am a member of the academic elite, spokesman for the Northeastern establishment, misguided liberal, prodigal son, traitor to the faith, or some such. Another evangelical friend with political convictions similar to mine actually endured a heresy trial.

The evangelical subculture, which prizes conformity above all else, doesn't suffer rebels gladly, and it is especially intolerant of anyone with the temerity to challenge the shibboleths of the religious right. I understand that. Despite their putative claims to the faith, the leaders of the religious right are vicious toward anyone who refuses to kowtow to their version of orthodoxy, and their machinery of vilification strikes with ruthless, dispassionate efficiency. Longtime friends (and not a few family members) will shuffle uneasily around me and studiously avoid any sort of substantive conversation about the issues I raise — and then quietly strike my name from their Christmas-card lists. Circle the wagons. Brook no dissent.

And so, since my chances of being invited back to Edman Chapel have dropped from slim to none, I offer here an outline of what I would like to say to the students at Wheaton and, by extension, to evangelicals everywhere.

Evangelicals have come a long way since my visit to Edman Chapel in 1972. We have moved from cultural obscurity — almost invisibility — to becoming a major force in American society. Jimmy Carter's run for the presidency launched us into the national consciousness, but evangelicals abandoned Carter by the end of the 1970s, as the nascent religious right forged an alliance with the Republican Party.

In terms of cultural and political influence, that alliance has been a bonanza for both sides. The coalition dominates talk radio and controls a growing number of state legislatures and local school boards. It is seeking, with some initial success, to recast Hollywood and the entertainment industry. The Republicans have come to depend on religious-right voters as their most reliable constituency, and, with the Republicans firmly in command of all three branches of the federal government, leaders of the religious right now enjoy unprecedented access to power.

And what has the religious right done with its political influence? Judging by the platform and the policies of the Republican Party — and I'm aware of no way to disentangle the agenda of the Republican Party from the goals of the religious right — the purpose of all this grasping for power looks something like this: an expansion of tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, the continued prosecution of a war in the Middle East that enraged our longtime allies and would not meet even the barest of just-war criteria, and a rejiggering of Social Security, the effect of which, most observers agree, would be to fray the social-safety net for the poorest among us. Public education is very much imperiled by Republican policies, to the evident satisfaction of the religious right, and it seeks to replace science curricula with theology, thereby transforming students into catechumens.

America's grossly disproportionate consumption of energy continues unabated, prompting demands for oil exploration in environmentally sensitive areas. The Bush administration has jettisoned U.S. participation in the Kyoto Protocol on climate change, which called on Americans to make at least a token effort to combat global warming. Corporate interests are treated with the kind of reverence and deference once reserved for the deity.

The Bible contains something like 2,000 references to the poor and the believer's responsibility for the poor. Sadly, that obligation seems not to have trickled down into public policy. On judicial matters, the religious right demands appointees who would diminish individual rights to privacy with regard to abortion. At the same time, it approves a corresponding expansion of presidential powers, thereby disrupting the constitutionally mandated system of checks and balances.

More at:
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 06:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Religious right...religious left; both are pretty silly. It is like Santa Claus north or Easter Bunny at the White fictions.

2009 BMW Z4, 2014 MB 300S BLUETEC HYBRID, 2005 MB SLK 200
post #3 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 07:50 AM
BenzWorld Member
Thanks for the link. A great perspective that sums up many issues very well.
post #4 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 06:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Now that is a look at the conservative religion that I grew up with, in the very heart of the Bible Belt.

I got a chance to see Chet Atkins just before he died at a small concert in Cinci. He complained about some of the very things and sang a song " Would Jesus Wear a Rolex on His Television Show?".

Maybe there is hope.

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 06:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2005
Jesus NOT a Republican

Oh thank God.

FWIW, I think that if Jesus ever pulled into Wheaton, IL in his finger-painted 1963 VW bus, the first thing he'd ask is "where the hell is the McDonalds????"
post #6 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 02:11 AM
CH4S Artist
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
From an Ideological point of view, is is interesting how the perverting of Christianity and Islam coincide. The coalition of the religious and politcal right can only hope that Hell has a decent Mercedes dealership.
post #7 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 10:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I know Christianity has co-opted and swallowed up just about everything it has bumped up against, but judgmental self-righteousness in the guise of personal responsibility? They don't read their own literature, do they?
post #8 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 12:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wonder what this church believes in?
Attached Images

Don't believe everything you think
post #9 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 07:10 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: Anarchy
Originally Posted by Teutone
From an Ideological point of view, is is interesting how the perverting of Christianity and Islam coincide. The coalition of the religious and politcal right can only hope that Hell has a decent Mercedes dealership.
The reason I despise Republicanism is because of who they are in bed with. Last night while channel surfing, I came across Rod Parsely, one of the heads of the Religious Right who rails against homosexuals as "ungodly", "abominations" etc. In his show, he was trying to sell "holy anoiting oil" at a $100 a pop, and you could tell his pitch was aimed at old folks. Fucking bastard is trying to rip off old people who can barely afford dog food so he can wear $1000 suits. Who is the real abomination? This is who the Republicans are made up of - religious snake oil sales men and fucking morons from Kansas who think dinosaurs missed the boat when Noah's Ark sailed, joined with the Ambramoff gang looting the treasury. Ye shall know them by the company they kep.
post #10 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
"holy anoiting oil" at a $100 a pop !!! Rod Parsely you fu@k , I sold it to him for $25 a pop , I'll rack the price up on him next time !!!! the Benz is due a oil change soon

Last edited by Von Vorschlag; 09-29-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: