The Gore Movie - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 12:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyaplus11
FINALLY, someone on this board that is making sense.
Look, I agree that locally, there are things we can do to improve our "carbon impact". I strongly believe that if we are serious about anything to do with the quality of our air and reducing dependancy on foreign sources of oil, then we should do the following:
1. Immediately change building codes and require every new house and business complex to have rooftop solar panels installed.
2. Incentivise companies to build more solar panels, drive down the cost and make it easier to retrofit solar onto existing housing.
3. Solar energy will reduce the need for coal fired plants to produce electricity.
4. Improve our mass transit systems--here in Los Angeles, it is actually more expensive and takes three times longer to use mass transit vs. driving yourself.

We in these United States are very good at being vocal about environmental problems, however, nothing will change unless you make it economically viable for someone to change their habits. All the proposals in Gore's movie will result in a more expensive way of life. People will not change if it means more money out of their pockest. (reality vs wishful thinking)
Hallelujah! Another rational human being on this board!!!

We are gaining...
Attached Images
 

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 12:44 PM
worst mod in BW history
 
ThrillKill's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Location: Chicago
Posts: 27,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyaplus11
1. Immediately change building codes and require every new house and business complex to have rooftop solar panels installed.
2. Incentivise companies to build more solar panels, drive down the cost and make it easier to retrofit solar onto existing housing.
3. Solar energy will reduce the need for coal fired plants to produce electricity.
4. Improve our mass transit systems--here in Los Angeles, it is actually more expensive and takes three times longer to use mass transit vs. driving yourself.
Hah! A true Californian, oblivious to the world around him. Solar panels in Chicago for what, to power my doorbell?

ThrillKill is offline  
post #23 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 02:13 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2006 C-55
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to mannyaplus11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
Hah! A true Californian, oblivious to the world around him. Solar panels in Chicago for what, to power my doorbell?
Your point is valid, however, there is a whole country out there besides the awesome city of Chicago ( I love layovers in that city). MY point though, is that every house in the sunbelt and the west coast with solar panels would be extremely productive, and on the east coast and the northern tier states, they would also benefit during the summer months.
It is just a suggestion, but, your gripe only illustrates my point, nothing about global warming or global climate will change unless people are willing to change their lifestyles or adopt some new technologies.

I for one, still have my doubts on all the stuff that is making headlines. Don't forget, 30 years ago, we were heading into another ice age and 15 years ago, the rain forest was about to disappear. You don't hear anything about those two events anymore. INTRESTING!!!!
mannyaplus11 is offline  
post #24 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 02:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
Hah! A true Californian, oblivious to the world around him. Solar panels in Chicago for what, to power my doorbell?
Yeah, but if you live in the burbs, you can do one of the new style windmills which is very low profile and generates good energy. A friend in Kankeekee [or however that is spelled] has one and it paid for itself in the first year and generates 70% of her A/C power and 100% heating. When she replaces her A/C unit in time, it should go to 90%.

But like us, no solar panels

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #25 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 02:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyaplus11
FINALLY, someone on this board that is making sense.
Look, I agree that locally, there are things we can do to improve our "carbon impact". I strongly believe that if we are serious about anything to do with the quality of our air and reducing dependancy on foreign sources of oil, then we should do the following:
1. Immediately change building codes and require every new house and business complex to have rooftop solar panels installed.
2. Incentivise companies to build more solar panels, drive down the cost and make it easier to retrofit solar onto existing housing.
3. Solar energy will reduce the need for coal fired plants to produce electricity.
4. Improve our mass transit systems--here in Los Angeles, it is actually more expensive and takes three times longer to use mass transit vs. driving yourself.

We in these United States are very good at being vocal about environmental problems, however, nothing will change unless you make it economically viable for someone to change their habits. All the proposals in Gore's movie will result in a more expensive way of life. People will not change if it means more money out of their pockest. (reality vs wishful thinking)
I have to agree with ThrillKill on part of this. Solar will work in the West and parts of the South[which is good] but more Passive needs looked at that is CHEAP. Things to cool urban areas. Before Solar [which requires money] try green roofs [which requires 10% money]. Both work to save energy. Both cool the buildings. solar can then be added to the building afterwards for additional savings.

Mass transit does not work in 90% of the country because of suburban design. Light rail was never designed into the system and bus service seems to be only set up for the poor everywhere but the NE.

And yes, my shop has green roof. My house has passive cooling roof and thermal pump heating. Max utililty bill for 3500sf living space is $150mo which is usually August

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #26 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 02:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyaplus11
Your point is valid, however, there is a whole country out there besides the awesome city of Chicago ( I love layovers in that city). MY point though, is that every house in the sunbelt and the west coast with solar panels would be extremely productive, and on the east coast and the northern tier states, they would also benefit during the summer months.
It is just a suggestion, but, your gripe only illustrates my point, nothing about global warming or global climate will change unless people are willing to change their lifestyles or adopt some new technologies.

I for one, still have my doubts on all the stuff that is making headlines. Don't forget, 30 years ago, we were heading into another ice age and 15 years ago, the rain forest was about to disappear. You don't hear anything about those two events anymore. INTRESTING!!!!
In any Global climate change, some places will get hotter and some colder. They are STILL predicting Europe will be getting colder due to this event. Scotland will be one of the first areas affected. If science is correct, it will occur when the switch 'flips' on the gulfstream and the warm southern waters quit moving north as they have been. As for the Rain Forests, they are still being cut down as quickly as ever. As with AIDS, Hunger, Damfur, Anorexia, Katrina, OJ, Elizabeth Smart, JonBenet Ramsey, the media gets bored pretty quick and moves on to the next great drama.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #27 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 02:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is it possible that, with the exception of flavor, everyone here is actually in agreement with the need for the solutions but some just don't like the messenger all that well?

This might be an OT first. But maybe I am counting chickens early, as it were.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #28 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 03:31 PM
worst mod in BW history
 
ThrillKill's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Location: Chicago
Posts: 27,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I lived in Huntington Beach for a short while in a house that was solar energized and it was great. I have seen some here as well but when I looked into it, it did not make sense as it would take until the next ice age for it to pay for itself. We do have the land for a windmill and I'll have to check it out but the last thing I want are a bunch of Dutch nazi sympathizers hanging around.

ThrillKill is offline  
post #29 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 04:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
I lived in Huntington Beach for a short while in a house that was solar energized and it was great. I have seen some here as well but when I looked into it, it did not make sense as it would take until the next ice age for it to pay for itself. We do have the land for a windmill and I'll have to check it out but the last thing I want are a bunch of Dutch nazi sympathizers hanging around.
In "sunny california" it takes 7-9 years to get a return on your investment. That is after a 50% subsidy for the purchase AND a tax credit that can amount to UPTO 20 PERCENT of the 50 perecnt you actually pay. (The plan is always changing, so I may be off for this year.)

So, currently, the marketplace is able to offer systems that- without significant government subsidy- woud take 15 to 20 years to make financial sense. This when most sell their homes after 7 years.

I have, in fact, opted for a system despite this. I like the idea of sending my money to the solar company instead of PG&E...the local utility...since our solar array adds value to the home to the tune of an offset of $300 a month on average for electricity. We nailed down the point where we cut our electricity bill to the first cost tier...so-called baseline usage...thereby eliminating the marginally higher rate schedule. We don't "get a check back from the power company at the end of the year", but 80 percent of our $ are solar provided (about 50 percent of our KWH). The last 20 percent would have doubled the size and cost of our array.

Now , wouldn't you know, natural gas has sky-rocketed and has blown the energy budget in my household once again.

I am seeking a decomissioned Soviet nuclear sub for a certain "engine room component" that I might install in my garage. Then I will convert everything to electricity. LOL.

My point...alternative energy is EXPENSIVE, damn it.

Most Hybrids are sold in Cali, by the way. Do you know why?

You get a sticker to drive alone in the car pool lane. 75,000 stickers have been issued to date. My brother drives a V10 BMW M5...except to work in the city...he takes his stickered civic hybrid bought for the purpose.

Irony...hybrids get better mileage if they stay OUT OF THE CARPOOL LANE, whereas my SUV would get much better gas mileage IN IT.

Also...2 people in a standard civic getting 45mpg can't drive in bay area car pool lane that requires 3 or more per car, but the 50mpg hybrid civic allows one guy to use the lane.
DaveN007 is offline  
post #30 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran
 
WeVonBraun's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1989w126
Location: Montreal
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
No no I am not left wing wacko. wacko is ok though.

And yes Hybrid cars is just a momentary patch. But Having a wind mill and solar roof + volontary energy saving on a day by day basis while being hooked to a Hydro Power Corp that redeems savers who can feed back the BACKBONE is smart !!!

Money is the power of every solution we will have to bring forward. I'm may be wacko : I'm not stupid.

Also I believe that a very firm regim will garantee the safe use of Nuculair technology AND democracy (if needed) That goes for Iran, Israel, U.S. AND THE LIKES in random alphabetical order.

-- wvb
WeVonBraun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome