Hey guage and Jayhawk wazzup with this! Murhta cheered by troops - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 07:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
NY Times front pages differ from place to place? Didn't know that. Did they have the bank thing on the front page w/ the Maimi terrorist bust or was that on page 22A?
Yep, NYT contracts with most major daily papers to print X copies for their local subscribers, airport and box copies. We had the Miami story on top of the fold with the Data story to the right of the Miami story and N Korea on the bottom of the fold plus others. Only thing I miss is they don't print the full entertainment sections so I never know what is going on. My next door neighbor is getting ready to star in Legally Blond on Broadway so I have to keep up with her stuff plus we fly up every month for a show when the Challenger has to go up for something. [I can only right seat at this time].

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 07:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I have too many friends in Canada, England and Germany so I oppose it pretty much every day that I get a chance. I know there is a solution somewhere but it is a very hard target to acquire.
Agreed. Their system sucks due to over-all cost (cleverly hidden from the payer), our system sucks because po' folks get screwed.

I was just watching a PBS story about the reformation of GM and the cost burden of retirees, given the foreign competition, etc. A good piece of work from PBS, even after adjusted for the prevailing wind from the west. One interviewee used the word, "paternalism", to describe the cradle-to-grave benefits that the retail buyer of the GM products must pay for. That struck me in an oddly Faulknerian sense. I've lived and worked around mill towns in the SE USA since I left the USN. They were the epitome of paternalism in their day. Company store, company script used only at the store, company housing, company doctor, company school for the kids. I worked in one town in which the mill owner (during the 1920s-1950s) built a complete modern hospital and elementary through high school and gave scholarships to the honor students to any college in the USA that would take the kids. The people of the town hate that family to this day and they left the town in the 1980's.

The lesson I learned is that paternalism doesn't breed love, it breeds contempt. That is one of potential fundamental problems, long-term, of a socialized system. I don't think it is a unique, necessary outcome. But socialized systems' weakness is the notorious inability to adapt. People change any number of times over the course of a life time but social systems simply cannot do so. That's why ALL social systems are conservative--they are always behind the curve. The bigger the entity, the slower it can change and adapt. The current bureaucracy, IMO, has become so large and inflexible that it simply cannot change in the course of any one person's lifetime. Thus, it will become increasingly a source of irritation and ultimately contempt.

Like the mill owner.

B
post #63 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 11:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Agreed. Their system sucks due to over-all cost (cleverly hidden from the payer), our system sucks because po' folks get screwed.

I was just watching a PBS story about the reformation of GM and the cost burden of retirees, given the foreign competition, etc. A good piece of work from PBS, even after adjusted for the prevailing wind from the west. One interviewee used the word, "paternalism", to describe the cradle-to-grave benefits that the retail buyer of the GM products must pay for. That struck me in an oddly Faulknerian sense. I've lived and worked around mill towns in the SE USA since I left the USN. They were the epitome of paternalism in their day. Company store, company script used only at the store, company housing, company doctor, company school for the kids. I worked in one town in which the mill owner (during the 1920s-1950s) built a complete modern hospital and elementary through high school and gave scholarships to the honor students to any college in the USA that would take the kids. The people of the town hate that family to this day and they left the town in the 1980's.

The lesson I learned is that paternalism doesn't breed love, it breeds contempt. That is one of potential fundamental problems, long-term, of a socialized system. I don't think it is a unique, necessary outcome. But socialized systems' weakness is the notorious inability to adapt. People change any number of times over the course of a life time but social systems simply cannot do so. That's why ALL social systems are conservative--they are always behind the curve. The bigger the entity, the slower it can change and adapt. The current bureaucracy, IMO, has become so large and inflexible that it simply cannot change in the course of any one person's lifetime. Thus, it will become increasingly a source of irritation and ultimately contempt.

Like the mill owner.

B
Exact thing occured with mine owners. They built an entire infrastructure for the community and were loathed by the community by the time they left in the sixties. I guess GM and Ford will only have about 15 more years before most of the cradle to grave employees find the grave side of the deal. The 37K that took early retirement this week got, I am sure, a clause that cut the loses. Otherwise the offer would not have been made.

It will be interesting to see what the next system will look like for the US. While I am usually able to look at extreme complex systems and design at will, this one keeps me in a fog trying to work out parameters that can adapt to an 85-90 percentile solution [which I think is still too low]. I know the states can't do it due to the extreme scatter of wealth between them. It will have to be a national effort or we will see a migration to wealthly states which will, in turn, reduce their ability to cope with the influx.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in