post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 09:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian80
I don't think that's what GS was saying at all, Bot. I think he was saying how crazy it is to attack Iraq under the pretense of stopping terrorism when Iraq wasn't a hotbed of terrorist activity. I think you would be hard pressed to find many who would disagree with attacking Afghanistan. The ringleader (OBL) of the 9/11 attack was in Afghanistan. The terrorist training camps were there. How many training camps were in Iraq before we attacked? How many are in Iraq now, I wonder?

I know you've said terrorism or WMD weren't reasons you were behind the invasion of Iraq. I think your reasoning had more to do with gaining a foothold in the ME (or something along those lines--I can't really remember now), but that's not what the American public was told. We were told that invading Iraq made sense because we would fight the terrorists there and not here. GS makes the point that the terrorists behind 9/11 were here, not Iraq. They were in Florida, in flight schools. No one said anything about attacking Florida, though--you're really reaching with that one.
I took GS' words and their meaning and extrapolated one possible interpretation. You provide another. I suspect that GS has his own interpretation.

You misunderstood everything I said concerning my support of invading, decapitating, and reforming Iraq. For me, it is strictly about oil. Having an expansionist, murderous dictator follow-through on his oft-stated plan to control 3/4 of the planetary oil supply was not my favorite foreign policy direction. You see, industrial agriculture and transportation are directly dependent on oil. We simply cannot feed 6 billion people on this planet without industrial agriculture and without modern transportation. We can feed about 3 billion on pre-industrial agriculture and transportation. That leaves about 3 billion people to starve to death.

Saddam had demonstrated that he didn't give a shit for human life but he dearly loved having control over it. By controlling 3/4 of the oil supply, he would have controlled the lives of all inhabitants of the terrestrial ball. For he who can destroy a thing, controls that thing.

Concerning elected officials, I don't much give a damn what they say but I do care about what they do. In this instance I agreed with the tactical goal for my own strategic ends.

It's like getting on a bus. I don't really give a damn what the bus driver tells me about his motivations for getting somewhere. I see where the bus is going and get on it if it is going where I want to go.

Bot

Last edited by Botnst; 06-11-2006 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 09:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I'll bet Saddam wishes he would have listened. It sure got the attention of other terrorist nations like Lybia, didn't it?
I hate to ask this in the middle of such a busy discussion but:

Where the Hell is Lybia?

Are you thinking with the little head again CHawk?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 09:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Old hillbillies and hippies should be seen and not heard. “NEOCLUELESS” is not a word and putting it in all caps just makes you look stupid, not me. It is my humble opinion that you wouldn’t know a patriot if s/he bit you in the ass. The President of the United States is not “simple minded,” and has NOT destroyed “America's reputation around the World,” as you contend. To the contrary, he has been rock solid in pursuit of our beliefs that the United States stands for democracy and freedom around the world. Everyone now knows what we stand for, and although they may not always agree w/ us, they know that we mean what we say—and are willing to back it up w/ American lives if necessary. We scare the hell out of our enemies and impress the hell out of those who want to be free. I’m afraid it is you who have no clue, my friend.
That's Ret Maj. Hillbilly and Hippy, thank you very much. I paid my dues to know what a patriot is and to be one every single day, not just with little clipart and a W sticker on my car. Look at editorials in every single country that we have always called our friends and see what they have to say. England, Germany, Japan, Spain, Canada, Mexico. None appear impressed with our actions. Appalled would be a better word. And since Bush is changing his mind to 'work the polls' this 'we mean what we say' holds little water.

As for scaring the Hell out of our enemies, neither N. Korea nor Iran seem to have blinked so far, and in fact have made us move our position from 'will not negotiate' to 'OK let's negotiate' on both fronts.

And I like the juxtaposition of your No Clue and W clipart. I could not have done it better myself.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 09:43 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2006 C230
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
As for scaring the Hell out of our enemies, neither N. Korea nor Iran seem to have blinked so far, and in fact have made us move our position from 'will not negotiate' to 'OK let's negotiate' on both fronts.
Speaking of Iran and nukes, I watched the documentary of the Israeli raid on Iraq's nuclear reactor in '81 on the military channel last night. That scenario bears a striking resemblance to the situation in Iran today. Maybe " haunting resemblance " would be a better phrase to use. Anyway, just wanted to get your take on the comparison.
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 09:49 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
I hate to ask this in the middle of such a busy discussion but:

Where the Hell is Lybia?
They flank each side of a womans public mound. You really aren't that bright are you?

post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Was it Iraq or America that harbored and trained the terrorists who pulled off the 9/11 attack? What does that say? More and more, I'm convinced that you couldn't possibly believe your own posts. I am gaining an appreciation for your sense of humor, though...
Good point--but I would hardly call it "harboring" the terrorists. They "flew in" under our radar, which is exactly why we need the Patriot Act! So that it doesn't happen again, or at least is a lot less likely to.

I do post w/ a little tongue-slightly-in-cheek, and, on occasion, overstate a bit for emphasis, but when it comes to terrorists I am deadly serious.

Don't believe everything you think
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
That's Ret Maj. Hillbilly and Hippy, thank you very much. I paid my dues to know what a patriot is and to be one every single day, not just with little clipart and a W sticker on my car. Look at editorials in every single country that we have always called our friends and see what they have to say. England, Germany, Japan, Spain, Canada, Mexico. None appear impressed with our actions. Appalled would be a better word. And since Bush is changing his mind to 'work the polls' this 'we mean what we say' holds little water.

And I like the juxtaposition of your No Clue and W clipart. I could not have done it better myself.
Sorry 'bout that Ret. Maj. Hillbilly/Hippy. I'm sure you are a patriot too. I just think you worry too much about what other people think of us. Iran and N. Korea are coming around, as is the U.S., and I think you will be surprised w/ their turn-around over time. They know we are serious, and will do whatever is needed to help protect and defend budding democracies and spread freedom. At least that is my hope.
Attached Images

post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 10:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
They flank each side of a womans public mound. You really aren't that bright are you?
I knew, I was just wondering why Saddam should have learned lessons from them, other than his two half wit sons.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 10:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

The only reason I care what other countries think is that when we need to deal with something big, we need their help. If we have lost credibility then we have a harder time getting their support and have to make more under the table deals to get it. All that additional baggage just costs more in the long run and takes decades to rebuild the lost credibility.

As far as going after terrorists, one of the main gateways into the country right now is Mexico. We have caught people from the Middle East coming through for the past decade. It is only now [four years past Patriot Act] that we are starting to knit shut that border. That could have been done earlier but too many people on both sides want the Latino and/or business vote and don't seem to care that more than Latino come through that direction. Same thing for the Canadian border.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Caring about what other nations think is fine, but we cannot afford to let them--or the liberal left--set our foreign policy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Liberal Foreign Policy.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	87986  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in