post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 03:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcar126
I think the RS4 has a very generic look to it. I've seen them on the road and they are "plain Janes". I really like the Porsche Cayman S or the 911 S. If your going for a "sports car" don't settle for a "sporty sedan".
I agree with this completely, you have to decide between sport and sporty. The cayman is sport, RS4, sporty. And the cayman is not fem at all. The dark charcoal is stunning.

I drive the sedans because I am over 50 and happy with very fast sporty (500E) but the 240Z is pure sport. I would go Cayman or 911 S in a heartbeat if I were going new/used again [I hate the 25-30% depreciation even on Porsche for first year ownership -- read this weeks Autoweek regarding their long term 911 Carrera S. $90,000 with a trade in after 52 weeks and 28K miles of $58,600]

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.

Last edited by mcbear; 06-12-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I agree that the Cayman is a far sportier car. I am a big fan of Porsche but I did not like the fit of the Cayman and as for me the styling just strikes me again as a little awkward. Plus here in California I see a Cayman in every corner it's become the poormans Porsche but I still must say it is porbably one of the better handling Porsche's I have driven in a long time.
I am debating with my Audi dealer because they are still trelling me they cannot get me the color I want. What are your thoughts about this? I do not see why they cannot custom order me the car I want? I am not settling for the silver one either.
Does Audi have a program similar to BMW where I can buy the car in Europe and drive it around there so they can ship it here as Used?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:27 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2007
I'm a big fan of the RS4- I had a 996 C4 cab, and currently drive an SL55 (lease up in a few months), and have a spot reserved for an RS4 cab with Sept delivery. I like the AWD, as I live in CO, wanted 4 seats, and a cabrio. That basically left me with the options of a 911 C4 cab or the RS4. (Or a Bentley CGT )

IMHO, the Cayman (haven't driven it) and RS4 are worlds apart. Cayman should handle better, Audi far more practical. Is AWD important for you? 4 seats?? If not, the Porsche is prob a more pure driver's car, but it's a very personal choice. I don't think you go wrong with either one-
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 06:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
heh, heh....RS4 is a BEAUT! heh, heh......the 'others' mentioned pale in comparision! heh, heh.......
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 06:36 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
Saw a yellow Cayman in the Home Depot parking lot (go figure). Beau-ti-mofk-ful. I can't believe there are those that dislike it.
I have a yellow Cayman for every day driving and a blood orange GT3RS for weekends and the track. Strangely enough, the Cayman gets a lot more attention at 1/3 the price. I have a friend with an RS4 and it's a bit nose heavy in my opinion. The Cayman, being mid engine, feels super light and responsive.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

Vehicle: 1979 300D
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Premium Member
At the end of the day, the RS4 is just an A4 with a bigger engine and some suspension mods.

The Cayman is much more car for the money.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 12:29 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '96 500SEC + 2011 C350CDI
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to gumsie
You might say I'm a bit of a fashion victim or a snob or whatever but if I was paying that kind of money for a car I'd expect to see a lot more than four rings on the bonnet even if it was better to drive than it's counterparts, which I don't think it is, M3, or will be, C63.
IMHO, Audis don't have the kudos to match their prices. Which isn't to say they're not good cars.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 02:38 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
^They fall apart fast, despite their great intial fit and finish. It is for a car affictionado who doesn't know or care how to turn a wrench.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
^They fall apart fast, despite their great intial fit and finish. It is for a car affictionado who doesn't know or care how to turn a wrench.
Shane, you don't like Porsches either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in