post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 04:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Why do you care so much about the world's oil supply? Isn't twenty year's worth probably more than enough?
C'mon GS, you've heard my soliloquy several times. Do you really need it again?

About 3/4 of the proven oil reserves of the planet are within missle range of Iraq or Iran or Saudi Arabia or The UAE or Kuwait. Iraq under Hussein had frequently threatened to seize the oil or destroy it as a means of attaining an Arab version of "manifest destiny." He had the means, motive and demonstrated capacity for the engagement. Good riddance.

If Iran stays away from the world's oil supply I don't give a damn if they get nukes. But if they make a move, bust'em.

See, the world without that oil would collapse into economic chaos and then a deep depression. Next, since industrial agriculture depends directly on oil for fuel and for pesticides and fertilizer and since we have exceeded the carrying capacity of the planet for non-industrial agriculture for about 60 years or 3 billion people. Without 3/4 of the world's oil supply society will not be able to feed approximately 3 billion people if we lack the fuel, pesticides and fertilizer.

You guys can argue about whether the president was after WMD or democratization or whatever else ya'll feel froggy about. I don't give a good god damn what he said. I care about what he did about Iraq, which was exactly the right thing, whatever the stated reasons.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2006 C230
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
Bot, that goes right up there with "Mission Accomplished" and "The insurgency is in its last throes" from years past. With daily events like this one:

"By PATRICK QUINN, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Masked gunmen stopped two minivans carrying students north of Baghdad Sunday, ordered the passengers off, separated Shiites from Sunni Arabs, and killed the 21 Shiites "in the name of Islam," a witness said."

it should be clear the "insurrection" has never been a military operation of any significance. It is not about us and our efforts to influence the daily carnage have been impotent - or worse - we get our soldiers in situations where they are accused of attrocities. We should get the hell out. It is a civil war, and it is not our country.

There is nothing to suggest Iraq wants to disrupt the flow of oil, unless you believe adding to the supply from OPEC will be disruptive. You should be happy. We leave, they have a bloody massacre of each other, someone comes out on top and the oil flows again. The longer we stay the longer it is until the oil flow freely again.

Jim

We leave and the islamofacists take control. This scenerio is a wet dream for the powers that be in Iran. You can take that to the bank. You may not agree with the war, and I respect that, but bugging out is just plain shortsighted.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
C'mon GS, you've heard my soliloquy several times. Do you really need it again?

About 3/4 of the proven oil reserves of the planet are within missle range of Iraq or Iran or Saudi Arabia or The UAE or Kuwait. Iraq under Hussein had frequently threatened to seize the oil or destroy it as a means of attaining an Arab version of "manifest destiny." He had the means, motive and demonstrated capacity for the engagement. Good riddance.

If Iran stays away from the world's oil supply I don't give a damn if they get nukes. But if they make a move, bust'em.

See, the world without that oil would collapse into economic chaos and then a deep depression. Next, since industrial agriculture depends directly on oil for fuel and for pesticides and fertilizer and since we have exceeded the carrying capacity of the planet for non-industrial agriculture for about 60 years or 3 billion people. Without 3/4 of the world's oil supply society will not be able to feed approximately 3 billion people if we lack the fuel, pesticides and fertilizer.

You guys can argue about whether the president was after WMD or democratization or whatever else ya'll feel froggy about. I don't give a good god damn what he said. I care about what he did about Iraq, which was exactly the right thing, whatever the stated reasons.

B
Well, that isn't really my point. How long do you plan on living?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Well, that isn't really my point. How long do you plan on living?
Interesting question. I live as though my life span were indeterminate. I guess that means I don't believe in predestination.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in