MB vs Lexus - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
No, but that's what Mercedes has fallen from.......

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 05:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
No, but that's what Mercedes has fallen from.......
Which is why the present generation of MB management needs to be hung from their scrotums in public. They have spent the company's first hundred years of good will and reputation for reliability by misguiding the company. Jim

Last edited by JimSmith; 06-04-2006 at 07:06 AM.
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 06:12 AM
GMISBEST.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
This is what your cars are good for

post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 07:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lexus vs. MB is a very subjective matter.

All my thoughts have been posted by the people above (except GMCANKISSMYASS.).

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Boring Cars...meh!

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 81 280E, 84 500SEC, 87 560, 89 "300E", 91 500SL, 15 E350 4Matic Estate, 71 BMW 2002, +others
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMISBEST.
Get a GM, GM is Best
Then WTF are you doing hanging out at a Mercedes-Benz forum for ? Jeezus,why the hell hasn't this douche been banned when others not even remotely as annoying have ?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/nutz4benz/W123/6C3A9CA5-EDFF-4834-8125-34B70B20A676_zpsiyesrawz.jpg
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
He only uses GMs to jump-start his camel.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 10:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think both are good cars. However, I still held firm belief that Japanese cars tend to be more expensive to maintain after 100K. It's just from my personal experience, and not necessary a reflect of all Japanese cars.

My friend needed to replace one of his cats on his LS400 (has 140K on the clock). The mechanic told him he had to replace both, not just one. The price for one cat is $3,200 each, and he was looking at $7,000 for the entire job for a car worths around that. He did find two after market cats, but still $2,000 each.

Now, I have never replaced a cat on any of my MB so I can't say whether which has a higher price. Maybe one of you can clarify that.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 10:10 AM
GMISBEST.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elau
I think both are good cars. However, I still held firm belief that Japanese cars tend to be more expensive to maintain after 100K. It's just from my personal experience, and not necessary a reflect of all Japanese cars.

My friend needed to replace one of his cats on his LS400 (has 140K on the clock). The mechanic told him he had to replace both, not just one. The price for one cat is $3,200 each, and he was looking at $7,000 for the entire job for a car worths around that. He did find two after market cats, but still $2,000 each.

Now, I have never replaced a cat on any of my MB so I can't say whether which has a higher price. Maybe one of you can clarify that.

I am thinking of putting an LS1 in my Alero, now try to beat that in terms of $$ or reliability hahahahaha
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 02:16 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mercedes Benz SET the standard for design and safety and are the innovators for putting srs airbags and abs brakes into production cars first (as an option). They also pioneered crumple zones and reinforced passenger cells before any other carmaker. All other luxury car makers set their standards on MB research and design standards and innovations. One leader (MB). Many followers (all the others).

ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)

The Mercedes was one of the world's very first pioneers actively developing ABS system for production automobile. The earliest development and tests dated back in the 60s. As with the airbag, ABS was a totally new concept during that era, and it took Mercedes long time to test the device thoroughly for the highest possilble reliability and precision before it could be applied to the production vehicles.

The W 126 S-class was the world's first production automobile to be equipped with the ABS system. The system was first available for the Germany market in 1981, as an optional extra.

First version ABS circuit board
First version ABS circuit board

W 126 under ABS Test
Two W 126 under ABS Test (right with ABS)

ASD (Automatic locking differential)

ASR (Acceleration skid control + Limited slip differential):

Spinning wheels can cause the car to swerve out dangerously when cornering or accelerating briskly on slippery surfaces. The automatic electronic acceleration skid control (ASR) prevents the wheels from spinning and adapts drive power to the conditions.

Links: Wolfgang's ML Page - very detailed information about ABS and other technological features on Mercedes cars.

Misc designs:

Child-proof lock

Exit lights

Flashing "fasten seat belt" sign

Reflectors near all door locks

Ribbed, self-cleaning tail lights

Wash/ wipe system for headlamps; heated windscreen wash system with two heated nozzles; heated rear-view mirrors and rear screen

Aerodynamics:

Roof are specially designed with "channels" at both sides duct water caught up in the slipstream around the glass and to the boot.

Tail lamp clusters are horizontally fluted to complement the drain water off the vehicle. The unique fluted surfaces are helpful in keeping the tail lights from water and dust accumulating in all weather conditions.

Exterior door handles in the SEC are accompanied with moulded plastic deflectors and aim to keep the grip-shaped handles clean.

See more about aerodynamics here
Mercedes-Benz advertisement

Passive Safety

Exterior:

Crumple zones and Rigid passenger cell (Safety bodycell)

Mercedes scored again? Yes, the company invented the crumple zones and rigid passenger cell. A simple but effective combination of the two designed to absorb and relocate the most of the massive impact energy to the vehicle itself rather than to the driver and passengers.

In the past, automobile industry claimed cars built in the hardest material were the safest cars during a collision. It may be true at the time vehicles were not to be driven at high speed. As engine output and car performance improved, the hardest vehicle was no longer the safest but the most lethal. It's all about energy absorption. Whether the vehicle, or the passengers, take the most of the momentum of the impact. An plain rigid vehicle most likely take most of the impact to the passengers.

The Mercedes came with a brilliant idea, using a softer, more energy absorbing crumple zones in the front and rear section of a vehicle, in combination with a rigid, reinforced passenger cell. As a result, during an impact at either end of the vehicle the crumple zone crumples and absorbs a large portion of the deadly impact and shock, at the same time preventing the impact from transferring into the passenger cell. The rigid passenger cell, on the other hand, acts as a protective safety cage free from material distortion and protects its occupants from sharp intrusions and fragments from entering the cell.

The concept was fully realized and integrated extensively in the bodywork design of the W 126 S-class. The result, needless to say, was exceptionally rewarding. In fact the W 126 stayed at the very apex of the safest vehicle list during its time and the years to come.

Crumple zones: SE/ SEL
Crumple zones: SEC

Intricate labyrinth of steel channels and box shaped structure

Complex structure of strengthened steel channels were used extensively in the safety bodycell.

The cross-section diagram of the roof section on the right illustrates how well the roof and doorside were designed for occupant protection in case of a rollover. It also hints why a door of W 126 shuts firmly with a sturdy, confident sound. Few cars are designed with such an over-engineered attitude today.

Polyurethane foam moulded bumpers and side mouldings:

These kind of bumpers and mouldings on W126 were first-of-its kind for Mercedes cars. These good looking fittings were proven to be successful and have been widely used or refined in most later Mercedes as well as cars of other makes.

Door locks: designed to be solid and secure

Laminated safety glass windscreen

Looped shape door handles

Warning triangle

Interior:

SRS airbags (Supplemental restraint system)

Airbags are nowadays equipped in virtually every newly sold vehicle as factory standard equipment. The invention of airbags has truely revolutionized our world. However back in the early 80s, it was the Mercedes-Benz which had brought this earth-breaking device alive.

Mercedes W 126 S-class was the world's first mass production car to have a driver-side airbag, available as an optional feature in 1981. It was also the first car which offered an optional passenger-side airbag after the 1986 facelift!

In the 70s Mercedes engineers had came into an entirely new idea in cushioning the driver from hitting directly the steering wheel during a head-on impact. After years of research and development the engineers finally invented the world's first pilot SRS airbag and took numerous tests in the 70s. During that time, most car makers were indifferent about the concept of an airbag and only very few of them awared or showed interest to the importance of such device.

Even Mercedes was extra precautious about launching the device in its production vehicles. SRS airbag was not only a totally new concept to the world, but also an extremely complicated device which had to be proven to work properly without any material flaws. Reliable impact sensors, precise timing and firing of airbag were essential and these meaures all relied on mature electronics and mechanics.

Only be activated in necessary situations, an airbag used a tiny amount of explosive to initiate a propellant resulting in a rapid release of nitrogen gas to inflate the airbag within milliseconds after a collision. The inflated airbag was then deployed quickly.

Every aspect of an airbag system were tested by Mercedes for the highest precision and reliability offered by the best possible technology available at that time. Only in early 80s did Mercedes put the airbag into reality and started to offer driver-side airbag for its top of the line series, the W 126 S-class, as an optional extra equipment.

Aluminium sheets beneath console panel

Crushable steering column: with impact absorber and corrugated tubings in the lower section

Extinguisher under front passenger seat (as an option extra)

Seat belt tensioners

A must see site for MB fans
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/2188/
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 02:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You beat me to it. As well built as Japanese cars are, they are all copy cats. None of their cars have patent, unlike all new MB models which come with tens if not hundreds of new patents which define the automotive industry for years.

Infiniti advertises the keyless go system in their '06 cars, but in fact, that is a technology belonged to MB some years ago. I believe the patent law is only good for 5 years, after that it is free for all.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in