"English Official Language" is racism - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 05:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
awesome!! about freaking time. it has nothing to do with racism.. not everything is about racism. hardly anything really is. USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

in political asylum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 08:25 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
English should be the official language, but it should go without saying.
That we have to say it speaks volumes about our insecurities.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 01:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To a foreigner like myself, this whole language issue borders on the absurd. English is the language of this Country, period. In every Country I have lived, I needed to speak the local language. Any form or application I ever had to fill out was in the common language of my host Country. Here, It never entered my mind to ask for, say a test for a drivers license in anything other than English. In most other Countries it's sink or swim. People have to learn the language of their host Country and that includes the school system. If I remember correctly, the minimum requirement to graduate from a U.S. highschool is a 9th grade level for english, and a 7th grade level for math. Such a low common denominator is too high a price to pay for appeasement. All you get is a 'dumbing down of America.' BTW, In otherwise liberal Holland, would be immigrants have to pass a number of tests. Part of those is their reaction to a video that includes scenes of everyday Dutch life, and includes topless beaches. This assimilation test should take care of any fundamentalist nut, and all applicants are required to apply, and answer all questions in the 'Dutch' language. Teutone, legal resident alien (aka Horst K)

Last edited by teutone.; 05-22-2006 at 01:42 AM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 01:23 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2006 SLK350
We being racist by requiring people to conduct business only in English and Spanish, we must be able to provide for everyone who comes to America (press 5 for Chinese, press 16 for Tagolog, press 54 for Swahili, press 67 for Bantu).

All government forms must be in every known language. We must have the appropriate interpreters for all government agencies, and shall require full time translators at all levels of police enforcement.

2006 SLK350
Something Silver

“I’m sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and disagree with this administration, somehow you’re not patriotic. We need to stand up and say we’re Americans, and we have the right to debate and disagree with any administration.”
- Hillary Clinton
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 01:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
God this is scary! I think I agree w/ all you guys!!

Some states have it and some don't:

Demographic data and official language laws of the 50 states

Red: No official English.. Blue: Official English

Don't believe everything you think

Last edited by Jayhawk; 05-22-2006 at 01:47 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Yeah, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
To a foreigner like myself, this whole language issue borders on the absurd. English is the language of this Country, period. In every Country I have lived, I needed to speak the local language. Any form or application I ever had to fill out was in the common language of my host Country. Here, It never entered my mind to ask for, say a test for a drivers license in anything other than English. In most other Countries it's sink or swim. People have to learn the language of their host Country and that includes the school system. If I remember correctly, the minimum requirement to graduate from a U.S. highschool is a 9th grade level for english, and a 7th grade level for math. Such a low common denominator is too high a price to pay for appeasement. All you get is a 'dumbing down of America.' BTW, In otherwise liberal Holland, would be immigrants have to pass a number of tests. Part of those is their reaction to a video that includes scenes of everyday Dutch life, and includes topless beaches. This assimilation test should take care of any fundamentalist nut, and all applicants are required to apply, and answer all questions in the 'Dutch' language. Teutone, legal resident alien (aka Horst K)
You have a great point, Horst, unfortunately the US hasn't seen fit to go that route. I live in a state where you don't even have to be able to read and write English to get your driver's license, and in fact the drivers' handbook is available in several languages. Can't read/write English? Come on in, the state will pay for an interpreter to assist you with your test. The time and expense necessary to accommodate multiple languages has increased every year and seemingly knows no bounds. I for one am hopeful that moves such as acknowledging English as the official language (seemingly absurd or not) will help to rein that in a bit.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC
At the risk of repeating miself, this Country could do with a viable third political party. The current crop of spineless dilettantes should make that obvious. Over half of Americans have given up on the voting process. The two parties are now chasing down the future Latino vote, no matter on who has to pay for the concequences. As long as some can sign a voter registration with two crosses, no matter, they can be educated at the taxpayers expense. Who cares about the vet on the street or the old lady that can't buy her medications, they don't vote any longer. Could it be, that the system can only produce politicians, that by the time the can affect the political process, have lost any idealism and are disillusioned to the core? Teutone (aka Horst K)
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Could it be, that the system can only produce politicians, that by the time the can affect the political process, have lost any idealism and are disillusioned to the core? Teutone (aka Horst K)
I know one US Senator and one US Rep very well and can safely give a 50/50 on that. The Republican Senator that I have known for 25 years is a good man BUT I find that every time we talk, we end up having to be pulled apart by wives and not allowed to talk policy. It seems that he has lost the ability to think for himself. Subjects that he used to be very much able to discuss with options such as NAFTA are now cast in stone.

The other friend, a Democrat is much more open to ideas and will listen before going ahead. I have actually seen him change a vote based on the views of his home voters and for the better, I believe.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: W-1-2-3 Go!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
You all have the impression that English as the official language is racism.

I wonder what you'd think if you all spoke a different language and did not understand each other. It wouldn't be deemed racism, would it?

Last edited by MBeige; 05-22-2006 at 08:05 PM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
At the risk of repeating miself, this Country could do with a viable third political party. The current crop of spineless dilettantes should make that obvious. Over half of Americans have given up on the voting process. The two parties are now chasing down the future Latino vote, no matter on who has to pay for the concequences. As long as some can sign a voter registration with two crosses, no matter, they can be educated at the taxpayers expense. Who cares about the vet on the street or the old lady that can't buy her medications, they don't vote any longer. Could it be, that the system can only produce politicians, that by the time the can affect the political process, have lost any idealism and are disillusioned to the core? Teutone (aka Horst K)
Amen, bruh. I started down that path after I voted for Nixon, thinking, "I can't believe the silly shitheads the two parties offer. It will be better next time."

Then I voted for Carter. Twice. Good grief.

Then I voted for (a) Bush. Twice. Wholly mackerel.

Then I voted for a doddering old man.

Then I voted for the lesser of two weasels.

The most recent time I voted third party in a presidential election for the first time.

It didn't mean anything to anybody except me. It was my realization that the two parties are irredeemably immoral. They will do or say anything to get and hold power. Neither party has a core value that they would not gladly jettison to gain power. Fuck'em both.

Bot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in