Tax Relief for All Americans - Page 15 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 09:34 AM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedezGolf
First of all, sorry to hear about your cousins......second, what about the prospect of not taxing food and that which is deemed basic necessities....and third.....why are we so brainwashed that we feel the necessity to pay more than others who are probably in a poorer situation due to lack of personal effort rather than external circumstances! (sorry germanstar, playing devil's advocate"

No question in my mind how deserving of it all u r, Ace.
Shane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #142 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:11 AM
GMISBEST.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
where is my dam dollar?
post #143 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Why -- did you run out of toilet paper?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #144 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMISBEST.
where is my dam dollar?
you spent it yesterday along with your n

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #145 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:39 AM
GMISBEST.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Why -- did you run out of toilet paper?
Nah, I use rocks for that if not I don't worry cause my shit don't stick
post #146 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 04:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
tiggerfink's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
Location: TN USA
Posts: 1,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedezGolf
First of all, sorry to hear about your cousins......second, what about the prospect of not taxing food and that which is deemed basic necessities....and third.....why are we so brainwashed that we feel the necessity to pay more than others who are probably in a poorer situation due to lack of personal effort rather than external circumstances! (sorry germanstar, playing devil's advocate"
I grew up poor from a country that has no welfare. My mother was kick out of the home for having a mix bread child. If you think racism is bad in this country you need to live in Korea or Japan. My father brought us over to the States and had two jobs to support his family. My mother got a job at the Levis factory in El Paso, Texas. Living in Texas was rough because my mom and I had to learn English. We even had to deal with the raciest people in Texas harassing us.

I remember times when my father had to pawn stuff just to purchase milk and food until he got paid. Eating at Mc Donalds once a month was a special event for our family or evening drinking a coke was treat. I sometimes could feel the sad looks in parent’s eyes when they see people on food stamps buying stuff that my parents could not provide. My parents tried to get on welfare but never did qualified.

After several years of trying to prove that my father served in the military, he got a got a VA grant for night school. He graduated and got a good job.

From my past experience, I just do not buy the crap that external circumstances keep you poor. It is up to you to better yourself and your parents bringing you up properly. My best friend grew up in the worst ghetto in New Jersey, and he became a successful black man in Atlanta. I used to see other black people pick on him because they thought he was trying to talk white.

On the subject of taxes, we should either have a national sales tax or tax everyone the same percentage and everyone should get the same standard deduction.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
tiggerfink is offline  
post #147 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 04:40 PM
GMISBEST.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I grew up poor from a country that has no welfare. My mother was kick out of the home for having a mix bread child. If you think racism is bad in this country you need to live in Korea or Japan. My father brought us over to the States and had two jobs to support his family. My mother got a job at the Levis factory in El Paso, Texas. Living in Texas was rough because my mom and I had to learn English. We even had to deal with the raciest people in Texas harassing us.

I remember times when my father had to pawn stuff just to purchase milk and food until he got paid. Eating at Mc Donalds once a month was a special event for our family or evening drinking a coke was treat. I sometimes could feel the sad looks in parent’s eyes when they see people on food stamps buying stuff that my parents could not provide. My parents tried to get on welfare but never did qualified.

After several years of trying to prove that my father served in the military, he got a got a VA grant for night school. He graduated and got a good job.

From my past experience, I just do not buy the crap that external circumstances keep you poor. It is up to you to better yourself and your parents bringing you up properly. My best friend grew up in the worst ghetto in New Jersey, and he became a successful black man in Atlanta. I used to see other black people pick on him because they thought he was trying to talk white.

On the subject of taxes, we should either have a national sales tax or tax everyone the same percentage and everyone should get the same standard deduction.

I have a question: is it really horizontal?
post #148 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 05:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
From my past experience, I just do not buy the crap that external circumstances keep you poor. It is up to you to better yourself and your parents bringing you up properly.
I certainly agree that it is up to you to better yourself and for your parents to bring up up properly BUT you are assuming a bunch that every person growing up has opportunities to better themselves. What of those kids who don't have both parents to help? Or those with eight kids and mom or dad is on welfare? School was not a priority with the parent so it is not pushed to the kid. School system does not always try and shepard the kids that are missing from school. Local economics may not have extra work for parent/s to have that second job. Mom and eight kids just can't up and move to another location without extra startup cash.

The cycle is vicious. I have seen many people from inner cities go from nothing to the top, go from the deepest 'hollars' to the top, go from dirt farms to the top, but I have seen many more stagnate in those poverty centers. In some respects the system that we built to help folks the most has, over the past 40 years driven down an entire generation of welfare recipients.

It it truly wonderful when folks dig out and those that do usually are the best at giving a hand out to those that need the help the most. That is the best part of the unofficial system, giving back. And if part of my taxes go to that, I would prefer that to foreign aid to buy friendship with other countries.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #149 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Moderately subtle
 
edfreeman's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 8,511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I certainly agree that it is up to you to better yourself and for your parents to bring up up properly BUT you are assuming a bunch that every person growing up has opportunities to better themselves. What of those kids who don't have both parents to help? Or those with eight kids and mom or dad is on welfare? School was not a priority with the parent so it is not pushed to the kid. School system does not always try and shepard the kids that are missing from school. Local economics may not have extra work for parent/s to have that second job. Mom and eight kids just can't up and move to another location without extra startup cash.

The cycle is vicious. I have seen many people from inner cities go from nothing to the top, go from the deepest 'hollars' to the top, go from dirt farms to the top, but I have seen many more stagnate in those poverty centers. In some respects the system that we built to help folks the most has, over the past 40 years driven down an entire generation of welfare recipients.

It it truly wonderful when folks dig out and those that do usually are the best at giving a hand out to those that need the help the most. That is the best part of the unofficial system, giving back. And if part of my taxes go to that, I would prefer that to foreign aid to buy friendship with other countries.
Everyone in this country has the opportunity to better themselves, some are "programmed" due to their environment and our quite recent history (started with the New Deal) that it is futile and the government will take care of them. Were it not for that beginning (the "vote for me and I'll give you stuff"), and if the federal government wasn't so far outside the bounds of their constitutional powers, the programming would be that you had to work to get better.
edfreeman is offline  
post #150 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman
Everyone in this country has the opportunity to better themselves, some are "programmed" due to their environment and our quite recent history (started with the New Deal) that it is futile and the government will take care of them. Were it not for that beginning (the "vote for me and I'll give you stuff"), and if the federal government wasn't so far outside the bounds of their constitutional powers, the programming would be that you had to work to get better.
Have you actually ever worked with third generation welfare receipiants in a deeply poverty stricken area of the country? I volunteer 30-40 hours per month with a team going to these towns and teaching adult-ed basic math skills to folk who have been on this cycle for decades. It is not 'programming'. They want to get out of the cycle but do not have the skills, the money, the backing or the job prospects to do so. You go to some of these towns and there are 1000 people out of work and 10 jobs. The are filled before dawn. The people want to work. They want out of the cycle. In rural areas there just are not the jobs to allow that step up to get out.

I don't know how old you are but EVERYONE that has talked about the New Deal has called it a success. We have never had to stand in food lines or job lines or plead for the necessitites to keep our families alive like many did when the depression hit in 29. I am a believer that we should have a limited government BUT, if that government is so limited as to not be able to take care of those who need our help at home, we really need to strongly look at just who we are. I was always taught to help those who can't help themselves, even if it is 'programmed'. We can try and take care of that "programming" on the fly.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome