post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2006 ML350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Babe's family wants no part of Bonds celebrations

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Barry Bonds is one longball away from tying for second place on the all-time home run list. If and when No. 714 comes, some of Babe Ruth's relatives don't plan to share in the celebration.

"In my heart, it's hard for me," Ruth's granddaughter, Linda Tosetti, said from her home in Durham, Conn. "I like to do things in Babe's name. I just don't want his name mixed up in steroids."

Tosetti and her three sisters are Ruth's four surviving blood grandchildren. Their mother, Dorothy Ruth Pirone, who died in 1989, was Ruth's only biological child.

Tosetti said the family has politely declined invitations from the San Francisco Giants to be on hand when Bonds finally draws even with her granddad.

"They're a great organization and I really wanted to help them out. I said, 'Call me for anything else,'" Tosetti said. "I'm a pretty game gal. I've got a lot of my grandfather in me."

What she knows about the Babe she's had to learn from her older siblings, who delighted in the visits from the large, jovial man.

Ruth died in 1948, six years before Tosetti was born. Her grandmother, Juanita Jennings, never married Ruth and had their daughter when the slugger was married to his first wife, Helen.

Ruth and his wife adopted Dorothy, who didn't learn the identity of her biological mother until she was 59 years old. Dorothy Pirone authored the 1988 book "My Dad, the Babe." Ruth adopted another daughter, Julia, with his second wife, Claire.

The family has seen the Babe's record eclipsed before when the all-time home run king Hank Aaron passed him in 1974. They were fine with that.

"It didn't diminish the feat. My mother always said what a feat [Aaron] did. Records are made to be broken," Tosetti said.

It's the steroids allegations trailing Bonds that are disconcerting to Tosetti. She said drug use sends a disturbing message to youngsters. Her grandfather, she said, enjoyed being a role model for children, even though his hard-drinking, hard-living life is well-documented.

"Look, he did his carousing. But liquor didn't touch his lips when he was with children. That's how his image is for the youth," Tosetti said. "I would hate myself a million times if I shook Mr. Bonds' hand if he did do it. These guys are making adult decisions about their body. It's the kids who think they're bulletproof coming up in high school who don't have that luxury."

Tosetti insists she has no malice toward Bonds, whom she's never met.

"I can't point a finger at Mr. Bonds. That's for people at a higher power to do," she said. "I'm sure he's a nice young man."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...e=MLBHeadlines

Thanks, D.

2006 ML 350 - Black, Appearance Package, Navigation System, Entertainment Package, Sunroof Package, Heated Seats, IPod Integration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 05:52 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CL55
Asterisks in record books are a terrible thing. A post some time back had a good write-up by a espn guy, it was pretty good.

jmho.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 05:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Giving steriod junkies a place next to the Mighty Sultan of Swat is a crime against baseball. They should guillotine everyone involved.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 06:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvining
Giving steriod junkies a place next to the Mighty Sultan of Swat is a crime against baseball. They should guillotine everyone involved.

HOLY SHIT! KV makes sense! I agree!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 11:24 PM
BNZ
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Quoted: 477 Post(s)

If guilty, he should be hit with a bat 714 times then guillotined !

__________________________________________________ ____
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 12:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Fuck the babe's family and the concept of celebrating being No. 2 on the list. If they don't want to party for no particularly good reason, which I actually understand as the idea confuses me and would figure even Bonds would find the concept peculiar, who cares?

This Bonds bullshit should be called for what it is. Baseball is a business and, as was noted on Real Time tonight, the baseball business liked more home runs, so, while there was no specific prohibition the business managers were tacitly or even overtly encouraging these dopes to take steroids that drew bigger crowds while it shrank the player's balls and turned them into freaks. From the day they became available you can be assured they all took steriods, at least the big names. You think Roger Clemens is naturally that unstable? He's throwing a ball harder at over 40 than most 20 year olds, who are just starting their chemically induced careers. Roger is going to explode, literally, some day, throwing a pitch and kill someone. His arm will just break off and head to home plate at 110 miles per hour, taking out the batter, catcher and ump while he zooms around the field like a balloon released before tying off the nipple, taking the rest of the players out. Everyone will be aghast, but attendence will go up, with more ghoulish fans hoping for another player to spontaneously dismember for their viewing pleasure.

Baseball, football, hockey, basketball, etc - all businesses and like all businesses they have discovered a way to a quick buck. By a chemist instead of an MBA, but not much more destructive to the nation's well being. Get over Bonds. If he bothers you, you need to stop paying attention as the rest of what is coming will really get you down. Unless the problem is Bonds is another black guy passing the Babe. Then it is just plain racism. And that is really nothing new. Jim
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 07:58 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvining
Then they'll have to guillotine an awful lot of players. Let's just collect everyone in baseball since Jose Canseco and off 'em all to be safe.

Roger Maris and Hank Aaron were both treated badly by fans as they approached HR records, and now it's Bonds. I hate to break this to you, but Bonds isn't responsible for steroid use in baseball, neither is McGwire or Sosa (who were actually lauded by baseball and fans alike for their steroid use). Baseball is responsible, and that includes the commissioner's office and the owners.

Don't get me wrong -- I loathe steroid use -- I just don't think its fair to make Bonds the poster boy. He is the best player of his era and he's not a popular guy, and that seems to be all it takes to draw everyone's ire.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 11:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Seems like the balls aren't leaving the park that fast for him anymore...

Wonder what happened?

What Could it be...

maybe...

STEROIDS!?

Last edited by Gregs300CD; 01-08-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in