LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 03:53 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Los Angeles is an interesting place. I shop once a week at an Armenian Deli and keep seeing people drive up in new MB's, Lexus etc., and pay with food stamps. Hmmm. L.A. has a large homeless population. When asked for handouts, I usually offer to buy a meal at the nearest fast food joint. It's surprising how often that offer is refused. A halfway decent panhandler can average $ 100 to 150 a day (good ones can make twice that), but more often than not spend it all on drugs, instead of getting off the streets. For those, I can not feel sorry. Some of the more unfortunate members of society ( interesting how many are Veterans ) are clearly unable to take care of themselves. What kind of help should a Goverment provide and how? The street price for cocaine has been declining for years, a good indicator that the apx. $ 20 billion annual U.S. drug policy is not working. Obviously a change of strategy is needed. One radical and pragmatic way would be to de criminalize drugs, and remove organized crime from the equation. It's doubtful any politician would ever have the balls to suggest such a policy. Teutone (aka Horst K)

Last edited by Teutone; 06-05-2006 at 03:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Petrol price

In Bangkok today I paid 30 baht per litre for petrol. That is $2.99 per US gallon or 79 US cents per litre.

2009 BMW Z4, 2014 MB 300S BLUETEC HYBRID, 2005 MB SLK 200
post #93 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 06:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
First, my example of what became Harry Hypo was in reference to the comment "lets not have any tax and make our own decisions about healthcare". Obviously that got lost somewhere in generalities but the scenerio is a very valid point when discussing a blanket healthcare policy.

My further point was that you cannot speak in generalizations and stereotypes when suggesting that America's poor are lazy, unable to dig out and need to 'get their priorities straight' simply because it is untrue and BS.

I was not actually speaking in generalizations when I initally spoke of 'Harry Hypo'. He is a friend of mine from eastern Kentucky. All of his savings went to his three kids college funds so they did not have to struggle like he and his wife did. They lived in a 900sqft house and drove a 10 year old car and a 12 yr old truck (needed to get to work). He had to leave school at 10th grade to support his mother and siblings so education was not an option for the oldest child. His priorities were laser sharp. He had to break into the college savings to have living expenses for the past four years and medical expenses for his wife and youngest kid. I pay for his oldest daughters college.

I don't throw red herrings. If I have something to say, it will never be for misdirection. I will say it straight. Red herrings are for politicians.
Well, I guess it depends on how we define the pigmentations of north temperate of pelagic life.

Your own argument is based on generalizations, too. You chose a particular person to illustrate your generalization. That's a useful tool for some jobs but an individual's life experience is not an especially useful datum for developing nationwide economic and social policy. It's the same population from which we draw our samples. The difference we have is not due to characteristics of sampling, it is due to the beliefs we hold concerning the population.

I believe that the individual, a citizen, is the ultimate unit of representative democracy. It is the irreducible quanta. This individual has certain responsibilities for life, basic necessities for biological function. If all he did was satisfy these goals he would be purely appetitive. That would be the natural state for all life.

If God is present when two or three are gathered in his name, then God is a politcal scientist. Because when two or three people gather together they must arrive at some relationship. The nature of that relationship, IMO, should be such that the coercive nature of a group is minimized, thus maximizing freedom. That is my rule that guides my judgement from two or three people to 7 billion people. The principle stays constant.

IMO, one can debase or destroy freedom in several ways. The most important (because of it's obviousness and frequent employment) is by direct application of coercive force. Another, far more subtle, is through subversion or seduction. In this method the State promises to care for the individual if only the individual will cede a bit of freedom for the good of all. It is a seduction because it is always honestly presented by the state out of love for the citizens. It is subversive because the individual begins to think that giving-up freedom is a good thing to do in order to gain security.

The USA Patriot Act is an excellent example of government seduction/subversion. In this last Congress the opposition made a great commotion about how the Act infringes on liberty while the party in power said it protects liberty. In the end they changed the cosmetics and reauthorized the bleeding monstrosity. Orwell loves both parties.

B
post #94 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Well, I guess it depends on how we define the pigmentations of north temperate of pelagic life.

Your own argument is based on generalizations, too. You chose a particular person to illustrate your generalization. That's a useful tool for some jobs but an individual's life experience is not an especially useful datum for developing nationwide economic and social policy. It's the same population from which we draw our samples. The difference we have is not due to characteristics of sampling, it is due to the beliefs we hold concerning the population.

I believe that the individual, a citizen, is the ultimate unit of representative democracy. It is the irreducible quanta. This individual has certain responsibilities for life, basic necessities for biological function. If all he did was satisfy these goals he would be purely appetitive. That would be the natural state for all life.

If God is present when two or three are gathered in his name, then God is a politcal scientist. Because when two or three people gather together they must arrive at some relationship. The nature of that relationship, IMO, should be such that the coercive nature of a group is minimized, thus maximizing freedom. That is my rule that guides my judgement from two or three people to 7 billion people. The principle stays constant.

IMO, one can debase or destroy freedom in several ways. The most important (because of it's obviousness and frequent employment) is by direct application of coercive force. Another, far more subtle, is through subversion or seduction. In this method the State promises to care for the individual if only the individual will cede a bit of freedom for the good of all. It is a seduction because it is always honestly presented by the state out of love for the citizens. It is subversive because the individual begins to think that giving-up freedom is a good thing to do in order to gain security.

The USA Patriot Act is an excellent example of government seduction/subversion. In this last Congress the opposition made a great commotion about how the Act infringes on liberty while the party in power said it protects liberty. In the end they changed the cosmetics and reauthorized the bleeding monstrosity. Orwell loves both parties.
B
Again, my comments were based on a post by VWGolf: "lets not have any tax and make our own decisions about healthcare" where I said it did not take into account folk who do not fall into parameters that can just go out and buy their own healthcare for reasons that are not of there making.

If your post has a point regarding my position on that I cannot for the life of me find it.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #95 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 08:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For some reason Premium has been down to 2.79 every other week here in Lexington for about two days at tier 1 stations [Shell, BP, Chevron]. Wacky Wednesday at Chevron was 2.70 last week when the 2.79 and Wednesday collided.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #96 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 09:07 AM
CH4S Artist

Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst

B
Coca cola or Pepsi cola! Teutone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in