White House's Big Oil Connections: Why Bush Won't Do Anything About Gas Prices - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman
Yeah, I agree. raise taxes! That always fixes everything.

It would be great to keep the poor people with there shitty junk cars off the road. that way I (one of the rich) can drive without fear that one of those blue-collar fucks don't get close to my Mercedes.

KV , dude your a fucking genius. Should I write my congressman to request this? please give me more insightful opinions
I've been advocating it for years on this and other forums familiar to these readers. It is exactly what it does in Europe - keeps the shitty cars off the road, puts the poor on mass transit, and forces the auto makers to build for mileage instead of piggery. The rich pay for what they want, thru the nose, as it should be. The end result it that they, unlike us, don't have to murder their kids to get the fucking cheap gas they think is their right to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I think we are being too light on the big oil companies.

How is it that even the threat of bad weather spikes the price of gasoline?
That has no relation to the cost of producing a barrel of oil.

They're crooks. No two ways about it.
And for the people who could do something about it to not just sit on their thumbs, but actually facilitate the price gouging (which depletes our economy) is criminal.

Last edited by Gregs300CD; 05-12-2006 at 04:54 PM.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvining
I've been advocating it for years on this and other forums familiar to these readers. It is exactly what it does in Europe - keeps the shitty cars off the road, puts the poor on mass transit, and forces the auto makers to build for mileage instead of piggery. The rich pay for what they want, thru the nose, as it should be. The end result it that they, unlike us, don't have to murder their kids to get the fucking cheap gas they think is their right to have.
We have a different situation than Europe, though. Our country is very stretched out in comparison. I do not even have the option of mass transit. Many people don't. We can't just tell people to move closer to their jobs or get new ones. That's unreasonable.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 05:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
No, but we can encourage them to car pool and drive better cars, and of course, it would stimulate the growth of the synthetic fuel industry. The refineries here in Houston have already seen the light, they broke ground today on a one billion dollar bio-diesel plant in Galveston this week. We have an unlimited supply of coal, and the sooner we learn how to turn into clean fuel, the better. Cheap gas has caused a world of problems, and is now costing us the lives of our children. It's time to put an end to this.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 05:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvining
How can that be an accurate graph, Bitsnit? Oil taxes are not charges as a "percentage" of a gallon - they are a flat rate tax. If the price of gas rises, then the percentage of cost that was tax falls. That graph is just another shit sandwich - it is giving the impression that the 20% is constant, when that is just not true.
Came from DoE, Kunt Whining. In the text they stated that it was based on a certain price/gal of gas. I think it was $2.85/gal.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 05:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs300CD
I think we are being too light on the big oil companies.

How is it that even the threat of bad weather spikes the price of gasoline?
That has no relation to the cost of producing a barrel of oil.

They're crooks. No two ways about it.
And for the people who could do something about it to not just sit on their thumbs, but actually facilitate the price gouging (which depletes our economy) is criminal.
Bad weather has no effect on oil? Dude....

Where does oil come from?
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 06:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Botnst]Came from DoE, Kunt Whining.

LMFAO
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 11:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
A barrel of crude oil has a pretty fixed production cost. The oil companies typically lease the deposit from the local government. Once the deposit is being "harvested" by whatever the suitable technology is, the capital cost or investment of profits in the project is pretty close to being over and quickly paid for, and all that is left as an ongoing cost is labor, maintenance and, of course, the the lease. The oil itself is pretty much "free" compared to the typical manufacturing industry where the cost of raw material is actually "free" to rise with demand. The uncontrolled demand for oil is what drives the price up. Which is pure profit as the lease is not renegotiable in most places in the world. If that profit is reinvested, then the oil company secures additional deposits.

The trend in South America and other countries to cancel the leases abruptly and nationalize the installed facility is a disruption in the financial planning of those oil companies affected as they typically have their stock prices tied to the value of their known, leased reserves. So, they lose inventory and production is one shot. In the Middle East the trend is to have the local government a co-investor in the project, at a greater than 50% level, so they reap the benefits of our lust for oil at any price.

So, don't kid yourselves. When the price of a barrel of oil doubles, the profit much more than doubles. All of the increase is profit, while the original profit margins calculated when the hole was drilled in the ground, which were obviously satisfactory, were based on the price of that barrel of oil, minus all the expenses, which have all stayed pretty much the same, or actually dropped as China entered the oil and gas equipment markets and drove costs down.

Jim
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 11:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How many threads are we going to have to endure on gas and oil prices?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GasPrices.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	84887   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil shortage.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	84888  

Don't believe everything you think

Last edited by Jayhawk; 05-13-2006 at 11:19 AM.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 11:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

In April issues of The New York Times, the chief was revealed to have received such an extravagant bonus that even veteran industry observers were said to be shocked. While customers are chronically panicked about rising prices, Lee Raymond, who retired as CEO of ExxonMobil in December, was reported by the Times to have received the equivalent of $144,000 every day for 13 years. [New York Times, 4-15-06]

It costs less than $5 to produce a barrel of oil.
Shipping, on the other hand, is getting more expensive all the time.

And I said the THREAT of bad weather. Just like the THREAT of a missile. How long is your memory working for you? Seems not longer than a year.

Last edited by Gregs300CD; 05-13-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in