The newspaper guy the lefties love to hate, courts Hillary! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The newspaper guy the lefties love to hate, courts Hillary!

Murdoch Defends Plan to Host Hillary Fundraiser; Calls Her 'Effective, Good Senator'
By: Robert B. Bluey
Posted 05/10/06
05:33 PM

News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch, owner of Fox News and the New York Post, said today that he his standing by his decision to host a political fundraiser for Sen. Hillary Clinton later this year.

During a conference call about his company’s robust earnings report, I asked Murdoch what conservatives are to make of his willingness to support the liberal New York senator. (Listen to Murdoch's response in Windows Media and MP3 formats.)

“It will be pretty modest support,” Murdoch said. “It’s giving the opportunity to people in our office who want to join us at a breakfast.

“We think that she’s been effective on state issues and local issues here in a New York. She’s been an effective and good senator. And if people want to come to breakfast for $1,000, they’re welcome. It’s no big deal. It’s not a million-dollar raising. It’s got nothing to do with anything other than her Senate re-election.”

A News Corp. press officer invited HUMAN EVENTS to participate in the call—and ask about Hillary—following my report last night about a speech Murdoch gave to conservatives without mentioning the topic.

Last night’s speech at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., came a day after the Drudge Report broke the story about Murdoch’s decision to raise money for Clinton. The news was the talk of the town, leading some pundits to speculate that Murdoch was making a strategic move similar to his embrace of Tony Blair over conservatives in the United Kingdom.

Murdoch chose not to broach the subject during his speech to conservatives. He was in Washington to receive the Phillips Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award and honor recipients of the foundation’s journalism fellowship awards. He kept his remarks focused on Fox News and his other journalistic enterprises.

During a pre-dinner reception before Murdoch was honored, he entertained and chatted with some of the conservative movement’s VIPs. But everyone I talked to said they were either too nervous or simply too afraid to bring up the Hillary question.

When I told one attendee I planned to corner Murdoch and ask him about it, he suggested I avoid interacting with the News Corp. chairman for fear of angering the honored guest.

Following his speech, I made my way to the front of the room to ask the question no one else would dare pose to Murdoch: What are conservatives to make of his raising money for Hillary? Alas, I was too late. Murdoch made a dash for the door, and I missed him.

Today, however, after seeing my story, a News Corp. press officer called to apologize. He said Murdoch would have been happy to answer my questions about Hillary. He then offered me the opportunity to take part in this afternoon’s call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 12:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
He didn't become a billionaire by being stupid. He's hedging his bets, and he's probably reached the conclusion that the Democrats could nominate Ozzie Osborne and put him in the White House at this point, so Hillary is going to win this in a walk.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 06:30 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She may need a bit of defrosting first. I think its kind of funny when democrats are being referred to as leftists. Teutone (aka Horst K)
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
She may need a bit of defrosting first. I think its kind of funny when democrats are being referred to as leftists. Teutone (aka Horst K)
I didn't say "...Democrats love to hate...." That's your call, not mine.

I read UK newspapers fairly regularly and if say, the Guardian is any indication of Euro-leftie sentiment, lefties hate Murdoch. Am I wrong?

Also, what's this thing quoting Hillary praising Dubyuh?

So far in her office as senator, Hillary has consistently danced to the right of the Democrat's party line. Who do we suppose is helping with this triangulation?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC
I prefer the economist. This is a bit confusing, I never made the call 'that democrats love to hate'. My defrosting comment refers to her remote and standoffish demeanor, not her abilities. For whatever it is worth, I see U.S. Democrats as being center and Republicans to the right. BTW, People in other parts of the world regard the two parties not much different from comparing coca cola to pepsi cola. Cheerio, Teutone (aka Horst K)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 09:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Just means she can be bought.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 10:11 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2006 SLK350
You notice she didn't come back to Arkansas to run for the Senate. We were so happy to see her leave.

The only votes she would have gotten here are the folks who can't read higher than "D" in the alphabet.

2006 SLK350
Something Silver

“I’m sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and disagree with this administration, somehow you’re not patriotic. We need to stand up and say we’re Americans, and we have the right to debate and disagree with any administration.”
- Hillary Clinton
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 10:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Looks like over 50% of the people in your state are scoring a "D" these days:

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x11367.xml?ReleaseID=880

Bush is in the toilet, and he is taking the whole GOP with him. I don't care if the dems nominate Sponge Bob Squarepants, he's in.

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 05-11-2006 at 10:25 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 10:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I don't know. Denial is really strong, and people don't like to think. They make up their minds once, and it takes a lot to convince them otherwise. The majority of the public might be coming back to their senses, but 35% of the people are still unwilling to reconsider their position on this president.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 10:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvining
Looks like over 50% of the people in your state are scoring a "D" these days:

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x11367.xml?ReleaseID=880

Bush is in the toilet, and he is taking the whole GOP with him. I don't care if the dems nominate Sponge Bob Squarepants, he's in.
Hillary and Sponge Bob? What are you liberals smoking??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	liberalism.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	84725  

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in