Could this Invention Save us from our Dependence on Oil? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Could this Invention Save us from our Dependence on Oil?

firstmb, your headline is a bit overly dramatic. All this "invention" is is a solid catalyst that will transesterify vegetable oil in the presence of an alcohol. You still need feedstock inputs, and all the farmland in the US is not even close enough to satisfy just our transportation needs let alone all the other crap we use oil for.

The best hope for renewables to meet future energy needs is first of all, diversification. Wind, solar, hydro, geo-thermal all have parts to play. Biomass can help with oil and alcohol stocks. For biodiesel specifically, algae grown in CO2 and effluent streams could produce the most vegetable oil without compromising the land we grow our food on.

OBK #35

Sponsored Links
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

kvining - 4/20/2006 8:21 AM

iNeon - 4/20/2006 2:35 AM

no, it cannot... because then we need vegetable oil.

Where do you suppose we get the 20 million barrels(is 55 gallons what they're always talking about when they say a barrel?)of vegetable oil we'd burn a day?

I am not too up on the current market, how much oil do we use a day, exactly? I know I use 2 gallons a day and it still costs too much-- 10 cents increase since yesterday, how many weeks will we see a dime a week increase and whos started the betting pool?

I'll put 20 bux on $3.37 being the high for diesel this summer=)
The paper I read said that this method could use any organic source - even garbage, to produce bio-diesel. Give that it does not need some high grade source like corn oil, this is entirely possible.
The essay posted says the device needs vegetable oil?

How exactly is trash turned into oil? Can you find the other paper you read again? I'd like the link if you can!

This is the whole reason I got the 240, not that I've done anything with vegetable oil... well, beyond dumping a gallon of wesson in the tank from time to time and wowing friends and family[:p]

Plus, hes a handsome motorcoach.

Ohh... to build a 240SL-D with a 5 speed manual.. I'd just adore that!

I guess I just assume most people read on the internet, I don't even go to the library anymore (thanks, JSTOR![:D]) If you remember the source of the paper in print, that'd be just as nice too heh heh

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:57 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '09 B200, '05 Smart
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

But if 'X' million pieces of farm equipment can use grow your own - it still reduces the total number of barrels coming in - heck any excess can be sold -

Maybe a good way for cane farmers to not need 1.2 billion in annual US Gov subsidies
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 07:05 AM
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Can someone put up the link for this process?
Here is my opinion: This sounds good but what's the real cost associated with this process? How much energy is actually used up to filter and handle the fuel? The fact is that we know how to do this for oil and there is an existing infrastructure to support its distribution. Would this new fuel create a parallel infrastructure or simply some integration is the prescription?

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: