DURHAM, N.C. --
Two members of Duke University's men's lacrosse team surrendered to authorities shortly before 5 a.m. Tuesday, one day after a grand jury reportedly returned sealed indictments against them in connection with an alleged gang rape at an off-campus party last month.
The two men, who attorneys say are sophomore Reade Seligmann and sophomore Collin Finnerty, surrendered to authorities at the Durham County Magistrate's Office at about 4:55 a.m. They are charged with first-degree forcible rape, first-degree sexual offense and kidnapping.
Finnerty, whose jersey number is 13, arrived at the magistrate's office in a suit and tie. Seligmann, whose jersey number is 45, arrived in a yellow shirt. Both were accompanied by law enforcement officers and handcuffed with their hands behind their backs. They had no comment.
Both are being held on $400,000 bond each. Sources tell WRAL that representatives for the men are waiting for banks to open at 9 a.m. so that they can post bond.
The New York Times and Raleigh News & Observer reports that the same day Finnerty was ordered to submit a DNA sample in connection with the investigation, he was in Washington D.C. to face charges of simple assault. Finnerty and two friends were arrested early Nov. 5 after a man told an officer that the men allegedly assaulted him. They reportedly called him gay and derogatory names, busting his lip and bruising his chin, according to court records.
Courthouse sources told WRAL just hours after the grand jury adjourned Tuesday afternoon that two sealed indictments had been returned against lacrosse players, but because the grand jury meets in a closed session not open to the public, it was not immediately known which members of the team had been indicted.
Defense attorneys had little to say Monday afternoon, but in a written statement, one attorney commented on the indictments.
"Today, two young men have been charged with crimes they did not commit," attorney Robert Ekstrand said Monday. "This is a tragedy. For the two young men, an ordeal lies ahead. ... They are both innocent."
Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann
Collin Finnerty (left) and Reade Seligmann face multiple charges that include first-degree forcible rape and kidnapping.
The incident involving the black accuser, a 27-year-old single mother who works as an exotic dancer and is enrolled at North Carolina Central University, and white suspects has ignited racial tensions in Durham because of allegations of racial slurs yelled from the lacrosse party at people passing by the house.
The alleged victim also told police that the men who assaulted her also shouted racial slurs at her and another dancer.
The controversy has roiled the Duke campus, with President Richard Brodhead holding several news conferences and meeting twice with community leaders and N.C. Central's chancellor.
The school has also canceled the lacrosse season and the coach has quit.
Brodhead also appointed a committee to find out if the proper authorities have been paying attention to a pattern of behavior exhibited by the team. After interviewing everyone from friends to neighbors to staff members, the committee will report their findings to Brodhead in early May.