post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: B6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GMC Typhoon

I had a 1989 Jimmy S15 Classic for a bit of High School. It was such a fun vehicle to take out in the bush. I can only imagine what fun I'd have with this Typhoon though!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GMC-Jimmy-1992-GM...QQcmdZViewItem

Freude am fahren!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:05 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
RE: GMC Typhoon

Those were screaming machines back in the day.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 11:36 AM
GMISBEST.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Quote:
430 - 4/13/2006 8:05 AM

Those were screaming machines back in the day.
Thank you, I know that you and I agree on everything
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 11:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

snips--

my first car was a first generation ford taurus, eggshell blue with grey lower cladding. it tried to be nice, it really did.. fake wood, some chrome interior trims and blue corduroy seats. it *was comfortable, but reliable is another story... there was not a single mechanical part that was not changed twice in the 6 months i drove it. 2 engines, 2 transmissions, countless alternators, starters, ignition something or anothers, cv joints, radiators, water pumps.

it makes the 240 seem like a modern toyota by comparison.

you see, it was fitted with a DREADFUL 2.5 4 cylinder engine and a 3 speed automatic transmission.

my dream replacement: the SHO with the 5 speed. boy those were nice!

are those any more reliable than the base model, anyone? i know theyve got a nice yamaha head(full engine, then? heads only later, maybe?)

ive always wondered why gm built such a big v6(4.3), why wasnt it an 8?

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 02:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: 1999 C 280 Sport

Quote:
iNeon - 4/13/2006 1:58 PM

snips--

my first car was a first generation ford taurus, eggshell blue with grey lower cladding. it tried to be nice, it really did.. fake wood, some chrome interior trims and blue corduroy seats. it *was comfortable, but reliable is another story... there was not a single mechanical part that was not changed twice in the 6 months i drove it. 2 engines, 2 transmissions, countless alternators, starters, ignition something or anothers, cv joints, radiators, water pumps.

it makes the 240 seem like a modern toyota by comparison.

you see, it was fitted with a DREADFUL 2.5 4 cylinder engine and a 3 speed automatic transmission.

my dream replacement: the SHO with the 5 speed. boy those were nice!

are those any more reliable than the base model, anyone? i know theyve got a nice yamaha head(full engine, then? heads only later, maybe?)

ive always wondered why gm built such a big v6(4.3), why wasnt it an 8?
Yeah it had a great engine and that's about it, cause the rest was made by Ford.

1999 C 280 Sport Brilliant Silver
1995 C 280 Arctic White (Sold)

Mods:

Avante Guarde Grille
17" AMG Style III's
Eibach Prokit Springs
Bilstein Sport Shocks

Blaupunkt Monterrey MP35 Head Unit
JL Audio 12" Sub, Alpine Amp

CarPC:
Gateway 450SX4 Laptop
P4 1.6 GHz
512 MB RAM
Windows XP Professional
Road Runner Front End Software
7" Xenarc Touchscreen Monitor.
GPS, MP3, DVD

"I don't care what anyone says, I like my hood star."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 04:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

see, ive always seen it the opposite.

i have never questioned fords build quality, they build a sturdy car, but the mechanical bits are pure junk(think of 1 gen tauruses)-- on the other hand, i have always been suspect of gms build quality, but the durned things seem to keep running, even if the car is falling apart around it(think 1 gen grand ams)

its been chrysler that i think has both in measurable ammounts.

sorry, snips--

i do remember my 7th grade science teacher drove a black one of those, but i think it was a truck(is this an suv we are looking at?) but it seemed fancy in its day.

why dont we get any of these limited production cars anymore?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 05:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:

i have never questioned fords build quality, they build a sturdy car, but the mechanical bits are pure junk(think of 1 gen tauruses)-- on the other hand, i have always been suspect of gms build quality, but the durned things seem to keep running, even if the car is falling apart around it(think 1 gen grand ams)
I don't understand how you can build a "sturdy" car and have all the mechanical things in it be junk. That, IMHO, is the definition of bad build quality. And Chryslers are the worst bodies when put to the test. Let me tell you what you have when you put an HD Dodge with a Hemi into service in the oil field: a badass engine and NO truck!

Mods:

Avante Guarde Grille
17" AMG Style III's
Eibach Prokit Springs
Bilstein Sport Shocks

CarPC:
Gateway 450SX4 Laptop
P4 1.6 GHz
512 MB RAM
Windows XP Professional
GPS, MP3, DVD

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 05:51 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

Typhoon too damn slow then and even more so now. A V6 auto Accord will eat its lunch now. A new Corvette would not even know you are trying to race!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
davis449 - 4/13/2006 6:50 PM

Quote:

I don't understand how you can build a "sturdy" car and have all the mechanical things in it be junk. That, IMHO, is the definition of bad build quality. And Chryslers are the worst bodies when put to the test. Let me tell you what you have when you put an HD Dodge with a Hemi into service in the oil field: a badass engine and NO truck!
i realize, sir or ma'am, that you may not be accostomed to such vehicular plight as the poor SOB's in fords and chevrolets, but there *are* cars whos build quality is second to none, but the mechanicals are lacking. there are also cars whos bodies and interiors fall apart around their bulletproof engines and drivelines.

the japanese and german automobiles tend to be homogeneous and fall apart mechanically when the bodies and interiors start to go, but EVERY american car ive known has fallen into the former two categories.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 08:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
iNeon - 4/13/2006 8:36 PM

Quote:
davis449 - 4/13/2006 6:50 PM

Quote:

i realize, sir or ma'am, that you may not be accostomed to such vehicular plight as the poor SOB's in fords and chevrolets, but there *are* cars whos build quality is second to none, but the mechanicals are lacking. there are also cars whos bodies and interiors fall apart around their bulletproof engines and drivelines.

the japanese and german automobiles tend to be homogeneous and fall apart mechanically when the bodies and interiors start to go, but EVERY american car ive known has fallen into the former two categories.
Yeah I've driven American trucks before, a GMC, and I would love to have another one. I was simply stating that "build quality" is an overall thing. Therefore, the Japanese and Germans would be considered to have good build quality in your words. Something that looks pretty and falls apart externally is NOT good build quality.

Mods:

Avante Guarde Grille
17" AMG Style III's
Eibach Prokit Springs
Bilstein Sport Shocks

CarPC:
Gateway 450SX4 Laptop
P4 1.6 GHz
512 MB RAM
Windows XP Professional
GPS, MP3, DVD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in