post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tom Delay Calls It Quits After Sidekick Sings

Just heard on Fox News that Tom Delay has withdrawn from the reelection campaign, no word on whether or not he will continue his present term. Sounds like there is some ugly stuff coming out soon. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: Tom Delay Calls It Quits After Sidekick Sings

good for us all. [:D]

in political asylum
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

They would not have given a big fish like Abramoff a deal unless he could have delivered a much bigger fish.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MARK WILSON / GETTYU.S. Representative Tom DeLay on Capitol Hill
Web Exclusive| Nation
Exclusive: Tom DeLay Says He Will Give Up His Seat
The embattled former Republican leader tells TIME that he will leave Congress and not seek reelection
By MIKE ALLEN/SUGAR LAND, TEXAS
Interview: DeLay Tells TIME Why He's Quitting Congress

Posted Monday, Apr. 03, 2006

Rep. Tom DeLay, whose iron hold on the House Republicans melted as a lobbying corruption scandal engulfed the Capitol, told TIME that he will not seek reelection and will leave Congress within months. Taking defiant swipes at "the left" and the press, he said he feels "liberated" and vowed to pursue an aggressive speaking and organizing campaign aimed at promoting foster care, Republican candidates and a closer connection between religion and government.

"I'm going to announce tomorrow that I'm not running for reelection and that I'm going to leave Congress," DeLay, who turns 59 on Saturday, said during a 90-minute interview on Monday. "I'm very much at peace with it." He notified President Bush in the afternoon. DeLay and his wife, Christine, said they had been prepared to fight, but that he decided last Wednesday, after months of prayer and contemplation, to spare his suburban Houston district the mudfest to come. "This had become a referendum on me," he said. "So it's better for me to step aside and let it be a referendum on ideas, Republican values and what's important for this district."

DeLay's fall has been stunningly swift, one of the most brutal and decisive in American history. He had to give up his title of Majority Leader, the No. 2 spot in the House Republican leadership, in September when a Texas grand jury indicted him on charges of trying to evade the state's election law. So he moved out of his palatial suite in the Capitol, where he once brandished a "No Whining" mug during feisty weekly sessions with reporters, and moved across the street to the Cannon House Office Building, home of many freshmen.

The surprise decision was based on the sort of ruthless calculation that had once given him unchallenged dominance of House Republicans and their wealthy friends in Washington's lobbying community: he realized he might lose in this November's election. DeLay got a scare in a Republican primary last month, and a recent poll taken by his campaign gave him a roughly 50-50 shot of winning, in an election season when Republicans need every seat they can hang onto to avoid a Democratic takeover of the House.

"I'm a realist. I've been around awhile. I can evaluate political situations," DeLay told TIME at his kitchen table in Sugar Land, a former sugar plantation in suburban Houston. Bluebonnets are blooming along the highways. "I feel that I could have won the race. I just felt like I didn't want to risk the seat and that I can do more on the outside of the House than I can on the inside right now. I want to continue to fight for the conservative cause. I want to continue to work for a Republican majority."

Asked if he had done anything illegal or immoral in public office, DeLay replied curtly, "No." Asked if he'd done anything immoral, he said with a laugh, "We're all sinners." Asked what he would do differently, he said, "Nothing." He denied having failed to adequately supervise members of his staff, even though two of his former aides have pleaded guilty to committing crimes while on his staff. "Two people violated my trust over 21 years," he said. "I guarantee you if other offices were under the scrutiny I've been under in the last 10 years, with the Democrat Party announcing that they're going to destroy me, destroy my reputation, and that's how they're going to get rid of me, I guarantee you you're going to find, out of hundreds of people, somebody that's probably done something wrong."

DeLay brushed off the torrent of investigative news articles questioning the funding behind the golf, private planes and resort hotels that marked his travel at home and abroad. He even accepted a plane from R.J. Reynolds Tobacco to go to his arraignment. "There's nothing wrong with it," he said. "They had a plane available. My schedule was such that I couldn't do it commercially — that I had to get up there and then get back and do my job. And that's the only plane that was available at the time."

"You can't prove to me one thing that I have done for my own personal gain," he added. "Yes, I play golf. I'm very proud of the fact that I play golf. It's the only thing that I do for myself. And when you go to a country and you're there for seven days and you take an afternoon off to play golf, what does the national media write? All about the golf, not about the meeting that went to. I'm not ashamed of anything I've done. I've never done anything in my political career for my own personal gain. You can look at my bank account and my house to understand that."

"I don't care what history writes, " he continued. "What I care about, what's important to me is who I am, what I've done and what I can accomplish in the future. What I care about it what I believe in and how I conduct myself in fighting for what I believe in."

More here:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...9853-2,00.html

I may owe That Guy a steak after all.

aborted Shop Forum member

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I live in Tom Delay's district. I've been to a couple of his local "townhall" meetings. I hate the bastard. He jerrymandered a decent guy, Nick Lampson, out of his seat and me out of decent congressman. Delay's diehard supporters are totally wacked out religious nutcases, and that was getting harder and harder to hide from the moderates and democrats in his district. Between that and his legal problems, he was on his way to losing to guess who? Nick Lampson. Justice is sweet.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:30 PM
GMISBEST.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

We are going to miss you Tom.
You have been the column of strength this nation needed but unfortunatly it is populated by woosies that have forgoten what it mean to be a descent human being. Just look at this forum it's full of communists, terrorist sypathizers and just plain mean and full of anger. Yes my friend this country is being infected as I write this thank you note for all the good work you have done and the way you made us stronger by elevating us to where we are.
My only regret Tom is that you are leaving us but even worse that you are leaving us while doubt mounts about your dealings and sense of direction. These people are mean and they are no different than voltures feasting on Mongolian carcasses. You should have stayed the course, you had my backing and of the many others that shared your patriotism and sense of righteousness. God Bless my friend!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 11:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130

hahaha. you're truly disturbed.

in political asylum
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 06:54 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '09 B200, '05 Smart

Quote:
azimuth - 4/4/2006 12:15 AM
"....and a closer connection between religion and government.
OOOH !!! - I just can't wait !!! lets add another theocracy to the world !!! Right up there with Iran

[xx(]

Religion and politics should never appear in the same sentence, unless in a negative context of course.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 06:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 4/4/2006 12:28 AM

I live in Tom Delay's district. I've been to a couple of his local "townhall" meetings. I hate the bastard. He jerrymandered a decent guy, Nick Lampson, out of his seat and me out of decent congressman. Delay's diehard supporters are totally wacked out religious nutcases, and that was getting harder and harder to hide from the moderates and democrats in his district. Between that and his legal problems, he was on his way to losing to guess who? Nick Lampson. Justice is sweet.
My baby brother, a conservative Republican, is in your district. When he moved there he thought it would be fun to get involved in politics so he showed-up at a Repo event. I guess this was mid-90's.

he said it was the most gawdawful depressing, disenchanting thing. He had this idealized view of politics in which ideas prevail. Like you, he said that the majority of the crowd were religious zealots. He saw the truth and he didn't like it. It didn't make him a Democrat, but it coaxed him over to the conservative-libertarian zone. I haven't heard from him concerning this latest Delay delay, but I'd guess it will be a hearty good riddance.

B
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 07:03 AM
GMISBEST.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Quote:
Misfit - 4/4/2006 8:54 AM

Quote:
azimuth - 4/4/2006 12:15 AM
"....and a closer connection between religion and government.
OOOH !!! - I just can't wait !!! lets add another theocracy to the world !!! Right up there with Iran

[xx(]

Religion and politics should never appear in the same sentence, unless in a negative context of course.
We must fight fire with fire, let Jesus do his work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in