Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Not all Brits like sweet Rice pudding!

Britain

Times Online March 31, 2006

Lancashire gives Condi chilly reception
By Simon Freeman

The House of Many Colours

A small but enthusiastic crowd of anti-war protesters greeted the US Secretary of State with chants of "Condoleezza Rice go home!" as she arrived at a school in Blackburn, Lancashire, today on a visit to the constitutency of her UK counterpart Jack Straw.

A high-visibility police operation has been mounted following threats which have already led to the cancellation of a visit to Masjide Al Hidayah mosque in the northwestern town, which has one of Britain's biggest Muslim populations.

Dr Rice said that she was unperturbed by the chilly reception: in a speech at the BAE Systems factory at Samlesbury where the Eurofighter Typhoon is built, she said that, in a democracy, the demonstrators had a right to express their views.

With the Foreign Secretary beaming at her side, Dr Rice said she had found people to be "very friendly and very welcoming". She added: "I think it is best if people have different views that they do express them and not bottle them up."

The party moved on to Pleckgate High School where some parents of the 1,200 pupils were angered that the visit was arranged without their consent. A crowd of around 200 protesters, penned in by police behind iron railings, waved banners reading "World's #1 Terrorist".

Rabiya Adam, 33, said she did not want her children to be "preached at" by Ms Rice. "Condoleezza Rice is not welcome in our hometown. She was behind all the killings in Iraq. When I found out she was coming here to speak to our children, I didn’t want her to preach what she did in Iraq," she said.

Ms Rice met 16-year-old Jabbar Khan. He said that Ms Rice had told him she was not enjoying the cold and cloudy English weather. He revealed that she also said she felt chilly because she had left her coat in Mr Straw’s office.

"I think the protest is wrong because this school is a democratic school and we should be proud to have such a high profile visitor," he said.

Russell Jenkins, of The Times, said: "The demonstration outside the school was quite small, about 200 people, mostly parents. It was noisy, with lots off 'booing' and shouts of 'Condi go home' but good-natured - there were no eggs thrown or anything like that.

"There is a huge police presence and while it would be unfair to say that offices outnumber the protestors, it's not far short.

"Shortly before her cavalcade arrived, police closed the road outside the school but when the minibus pulled up it ducked in through a back gate so that she did have to go past the protesters.

"The parents feel that they are being used as political pawns because they weren't consulted about the visit. They say it was foisted upon them and they don't agree with it. The police, some might say a little meanly, forced the protesters to stand on the other side of the road behind an iron fence - and in about five inches of mud."

The two-day trip is to repay an invitation to Ms Rice's hometown of Birmingham, Alabama, last year, where Mr Straw was taken on a tour of her childhood haunts.

The Secretary of State landed at Liverpool John Lennon Airport last night on Air Force Two, a Boeing 757, amid tight security. She was due to visit Ewood Park, home of Blackburn Rovers FC, before delivering a Chatham House lecture for BBC radio.

The party will then move on to the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts, established by Sir Paul McCartney, where she will hear a gospel choir, before a concert at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall.

The singer Jennifer John said that she had chosen to perform John Lennon’s pacifist anthem Imagine as a form of protest. She said: "The opportunity to stand opposite the most powerful black woman in history, whose politics I do not share, and sing Imagine is not something that I could refuse."

Opponents of the Iraq war have set up a website www.condiwatch.co.uk listing times and locations for marches and gatherings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: Not all Brits like sweet Rice pudding!

Here's a recipe for the traditional British Pud.You American friends may need to get a taste for it come 2008!

Baked Rice Pudding
Ingredients :
56g (2oz) pudding rice (short grain)
710ml (1 pint) whole milk
56g (2oz) sugar
25g butter
Grated nutmeg to taste

Recipe :
1-Measure out rice and place with sugar, in an oven-proof dish (23cm diametre). Grease bottom to prevent rice from catching.

2-Pour in liquid and stir well.

3-Sprinkle nutmeg over surface for topping.

4-Bake in middle of oven for an hour, stirring after 30 minutes.

5-Bake for a further hour, without stirring, or until you have a thick skin on top of the pudding, then serve.

Advice :
This will serve 6 at the most, depending on portion sizes.

Great with a blob of jam on top, or try adding a spoonful of golden syrup to the milk for extra sweetness, mmmm...

(Personally,I like a little peanut butter on it)

[:p]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
deathrattle - 3/31/2006 9:00 AM

Here's a recipe for the traditional British Pud.You American friends may need to get a taste for it come 2008!

Baked Rice Pudding
Ingredients :
56g (2oz) pudding rice (short grain)
710ml (1 pint) whole milk
56g (2oz) sugar
25g butter
Grated nutmeg to taste

Recipe :
1-Measure out rice and place with sugar, in an oven-proof dish (23cm diametre). Grease bottom to prevent rice from catching.

2-Pour in liquid and stir well.

3-Sprinkle nutmeg over surface for topping.

4-Bake in middle of oven for an hour, stirring after 30 minutes.

5-Bake for a further hour, without stirring, or until you have a thick skin on top of the pudding, then serve.

Advice :
This will serve 6 at the most, depending on portion sizes.

Great with a blob of jam on top, or try adding a spoonful of golden syrup to the milk for extra sweetness, mmmm...

(Personally,I like a little peanut butter on it)

[:p]
Where's the rum?

You can't cook your pudding until you've added your rum!

All in all you're just another cook down the hall.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)

^^^^^

Hey that's a good idea,but in general it breaks my heart to boil away alcohol for the benefit of the angels.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
deathrattle - 3/31/2006 9:32 AM

^^^^^

Hey that's a good idea,but in general it breaks my heart to boil away alcohol for the benefit of the angels.
Use cheap dark rum (is that an oxymoron?).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I can't believe you said that, B [:D][:D]

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 09:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

ohhh rum is my favorite.

the darker the better. in a cranberry daiquiri.

*sigh

i wish i werent so sooper frootie.

now that i think about it, both of my grandfathers drank themselves into oblivion. my father doesnt drink because of it, and i keep tabs just to make sure there isnt some kind of stupid cliche hemmingway family-like plot twist.

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)

^^^^
Yeah,I like Rum,in all it's permutations.That cranberry daiquiri sounds good! What's being frooty got to do with it?

When I lived in LA,if we'd had a good day's trading,myself and a colleague used to slide off early to a bar in Westwood where they served the best Myer's 151 Mai Tais.Those things were huge and took no prisoners.The bar was close to UCLA campus so the scenery was pretty good too![}:)][;)][:)]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 10:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

most people think that a cranberry daiquiri is something crazy and foreign.

rumcoke is more manly i suppose?

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 12:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Use Rumsfeld.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in