Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
RE: How can I remove Real Player?

Thanks guys, I think I'll just buy a new computer [xx(]

DR, the "evil" is because it does things to your system without your permission, and particularly because it reinstalls itself against your express wishes (your having repeatedly 'uninstalled' it..). Oh well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)

Quote:
Marsden - 3/17/2006 4:25 PM

Quote:
deathrattle - 3/17/2006 6:22 PM

I'm curious,why is it important to remove it?
1. Because it's evil.

2. Trying to clear memory (so I can actually do some work on the computer) and it keeps putting itself resident in active memory.

3. Because it's evil.

[}:)]
Real Player with Bill Maher?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
ThrillKill - 3/17/2006 4:49 PM

Real player sucks it!! You will have to edit your registry. I reinstall Windows every 4 months or so 'cuz I like a clean machine. Might be time to do it. Get your self a decent usb drive and back up all your important stuff, then start clean. You'll be amazed at how fast your box runs.
You're kidding, right? If you don't mean that you restore a ghost image, you're a nut!

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 05:36 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
GermanStar - 3/17/2006 6:08 PM

Quote:
ThrillKill - 3/17/2006 4:49 PM

Real player sucks it!! You will have to edit your registry. I reinstall Windows every 4 months or so 'cuz I like a clean machine. Might be time to do it. Get your self a decent usb drive and back up all your important stuff, then start clean. You'll be amazed at how fast your box runs.
You're kidding, right? If you don't mean that you restore a ghost image, you're a nut!
No. I just put shortcuts to the removable drive in a folder on the desktop and that is my only icon and yes, I am nuts. It's a four hour process but I enjoy it.

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Well, if you ever get tired of it, I'll tell you how to do the same thing in 20 minutes.

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:03 PM
worst mod in BW history

Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
GermanStar - 3/17/2006 6:53 PM

Well, if you ever get tired of it, I'll tell you how to do the same thing in 20 minutes.
By cloning the disk?

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

No -- create and restore a ghost image. There are a few ghost utilities out there. I use PowerQuest Drive Image. Check it out -- it's a godsend. The ultimate in maintaining a pristine system and in disaster recovery. I used it almost daily when I was reviewing software a few years back. You'll need a second hard drive (fixed, removable, or even network) in order to put it to use.

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

DR, you're probably not bothered by your version of RP because it's probably the rev that came with your PC back in the dark ages.

Each subsequent rev of RP has been more intrusive and pervasive. It opens ports, shares info, uses resources, all the things you would expect of spyware/malware.

Marsden, all of the talk about ghosting etc. is irrelevant to your situation. You image a PC when it's set up, properly configured, all programs installed, etc., and then you create the image. Then in the future when it's all crudded up, you burn your data off to CD/DVD (which you should regularly do anyway) and then format the drive and restore the image. Most people are not quite as tech-savvy, however. And since yours is already crudded up, imaging is of no help. Last idea...you've never finished filling out your profile so we don't know where you are, but if you're close to a tech-informed member I'd bet they'd share some time to clean up your PC for a nice dinner and some great Benz-chat. [;)][:)]
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:50 PM
worst mod in BW history

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
GermanStar - 3/17/2006 7:20 PM

No -- create and restore a ghost image. There are a few ghost utilities out there. I use PowerQuest Drive Image. Check it out -- it's a godsend. The ultimate in maintaining a pristine system and in disaster recovery. I used it almost daily when I was reviewing software a few years back. You'll need a second hard drive (fixed, removable, or even network) in order to put it to use.
I bought Norton Ghost a while back and couldn't make heads or tails of it.
By doing that arent you jist importing all the little nasties in your registry to the new disk?

post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Real Player is a real piece of junk! You don't have to remove it, just tell your XP Pro to use Window's Media Player as the default program for all media files--MP3s, .wma, etc., etc., etc.

The damn RP can stay on your system w/out any problems as long as you make WMP-9 your default player.

I took RP off w/ the CP/Add-Remove program and do not know why your system will not do that. BUT it really doesn't matter if you never use it, and you can tell your system not to use it by telling it to use Windows Media Player as the default.

If you do not know how to do that (which I'm sure you do) please let me know.

Real Player is a Real Piece of Shit! (RP=RPS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in