post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '91 420SEL '80 300TD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Blinding brights from behind.

More often these days, drivers behind me have their brights on even when they are up close. Drives me nuts. Even the "dimmer" mirror does not solve the problem.

I am thinking of getting a one foot wide mirror that I can swivel down to reflect the bright lights right back through my rear window...hehehe... Mainly I just sow down until the lightship decides to pass me. or I speed up if I can to get away from them.

How do you deal with bright lights hitting you from behind?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
RE: Blinding brights from behind.

Not the kind to promote road rage. I would treat them as I'd do with tailgaters - pull over to the side and let them pass.

In this case, however, I won't mind switching to high beam just as I'm pulling over and then follow the offending driver. [}:)][}:)]

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:57 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
JeepersCreepers - 3/14/2006 3:15 PM

More often these days, drivers behind me have their brights on even when they are up close. Drives me nuts. Even the "dimmer" mirror does not solve the problem.

I am thinking of getting a one foot wide mirror that I can swivel down to reflect the bright lights right back through my rear window...hehehe... Mainly I just sow down until the lightship decides to pass me. or I speed up if I can to get away from them.

Doesn't bother me....Maybe it's you....Where'd you get your peepers? [:)]

Oh, the coolest thing on my CLK is the rear sunscreen that comes up with the touch of a button. Not only does it diffuse ass riding SUV headlight glare but it let's them know that not only are they a douche, but that your car has cooler stuff.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: W-1-2-3 Go!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)

See the PRNDSL on the shifter?

S = Smoke (at least for my diesel) [:D]

This of course only happens at night with headlights on. The fun begins on the freeway if I'm cruising at ~65-70 and some ass tailgates me.

Sometimes I slow down and let him pass me, and if he merges infront of me, I increase distance and show him what he's shown me until he switches lanes.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
ThrillKill - 3/14/2006 4:57 PM

Quote:

Oh, the coolest thing on my CLK is the rear sunscreen that comes up with the touch of a button. Not only does it diffuse ass riding SUV headlight glare but it let's them know that not only are they a douche, but that your car has cooler stuff.
Don't forget, you can always put reflector tape on the shade. The refelctor tape can be cut and put on in shapes of middle fingers or other profane stuff.[:D]

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:37 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
karugs - 3/15/2006 10:04 PM

This of course only happens at night with headlights on. The fun begins on the freeway if I'm cruising at ~65-70 and some ass tailgates me.

Sometimes I slow down and let him pass me, and if he merges infront of me, I increase distance and show him what he's shown me until he switches lanes.

You haven't seen a smoke screen until you have sat behind my '76 Suzuki GT750 stroker triple.Because she's an old girl I have the oil pump set a little rich and also add a little oil to the fuel as 'belt and braces'.Modern 2-stroke oils tend not to foul the plugs so no starting or running problems.However,drop down a cog or two,redline it and all the unburnt oil from the ports to the baffles erupts.This will lay down a smokescreen even in daylight which James Bond would envy.Spectacular and smells good too!

In cars,we Europeans have our rear fog lamps to play with to deter main beamers.If that fails I just keep tapping my brakes until the arse behind realises there is a problem,or take Naomilla's route and let the prick get in front of me.In my Porsche I had 80/100w headlamp bulbs which certainly make their presence known.

[}:)][:D]
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:38 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
asianml - 3/14/2006 4:08 PM

Quote:
ThrillKill - 3/14/2006 4:57 PM

Quote:

Don't forget, you can always put reflector tape on the shade. The refelctor tape can be cut and put on in shapes of middle fingers or other profane stuff.[:D]
Considered that but after waiting a year for my body kit to get painted and to install it, I don't really want some smegma to plow into me.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ah. Did you get it painted yet TK?

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: W-1-2-3 Go!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)

Quote:
deathrattle - 3/14/2006 2:37 PM

Quote:
karugs - 3/15/2006 10:04 PM

You haven't seen a smoke screen until you have sat behind my '76 Suzuki GT750 stroker triple.Because she's an old girl I have the oil pump set a little rich and also add a little oil to the fuel as 'belt and braces'.Modern 2-stroke oils tend not to foul the plugs so no starting or running problems.However,drop down a cog or two,redline it and all the unburnt oil from the ports to the baffles erupts.This will lay down a smokescreen even in daylight which James Bond would envy.Spectacular and smells good too!

In cars,we Europeans have our rear fog lamps to play with to deter main beamers.If that fails I just keep tapping my brakes until the arse behind realises there is a problem,or take Naomilla's route and let the prick get in front of me.In my Porsche I had 80/100w headlamp bulbs which certainly make their presence known.

[}:)][:D]
I know it's not alot of smoke, if it were then I would be alarmed, not just the tailgater.

I've heard of other people putting marbles along the drain gutters of your car and let them roll back and bounce on the road, onto the other car's windshield with a LOUD tap! [:0]

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '91 420SEL '80 300TD
(Thread Starter)

I am putting 80/100 bulbs in my Bosch eurolights, so I can give them a blast once they are in front of me. But I like the idea of a rear sunscreen. I have seriously considered putting a large mirror on the rear deck and having my wife lift it to vertical when a beamer is behind me. Imagine the sight of two headlights suddenly facing you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in