2007 SL550 - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon
RE: 2007 SL550

i just cant even fathom being so wasteful.

maybe thats where my reading of your post took a negative spin?

i thought that decent performance and a good ride was the s coupe's(why exactly did they call it a cl?) place in the market? are the sl and cl not the same beyond the roof and other minor things? and wouldnt that make the sl an s class roadster?

whats light about a rwd v8 with air conditioned seats, anyway? it seems like the market has ruined the car by demanding it add features through the years and what theyve ended up with(dont think im being negative-- i cant even afford a house with an sl's pricetag) is a car that really just isnt so special.

i mirror the thoughts of the writer of the original article.. i do know the sl is competent and luxurious, its beautiful, has nice materials and isnt a slouch at anything, but the car set some sort of benchmark and they need to not rest on their laurels and let the lexus beat them in this market too.

and what would be wrong with a sl350? id want manual controls for everything, including the transmission and roof, though. none of these systems that cost more to repair than a compact car does to buy.

while we're at it, i want a w204 c190cdi too. nothing fancy, just a comfortable seat sitting behind a 50mpg turbodiesel engine and that lovely hood star

price it between the passat and the jetta(about 33k)...they'd surely sell like the w123s.

again, that tells you what 30 grand means to me, id like to agree that its silly to not just spend it, but i cant.

that money could be a childs tuition to college. it could change someones life for the better, youd honestly rather see it used to get to 60 1.5 seconds faster?

where i come from, an engine upgrade usually just means moving up a trim level to one with a 3 letter designation instead of just two[:p] i looked at a leon replacement but was amazed that a n/a 2.4 caliber r/t awd costs 22 large.

i wonder if the sr/t 4 will outrun an sl? any flavor would be fine.

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

Quote:

that money could be a childs tuition to college. it could change someones life for the better, youd honestly rather see it used to get to 60 1.5 seconds faster?

Some people would rather spend a little more money to have a faster car. Its not about money. My mom wants an AMG SL, because she wants to be faster.

I have seen people drop 50K in Honda to make it faster. Its about speed. In my mom's case, it about speed and looking good in a Mercedes.

By the way, it’s our money and we spend the way we want to. I have already paid enough in taxes for children’s education and taxes for people that do not want to work.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:05 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

I kind of side with chiphomme on this one. If you can buy a $100,000 car, you should be able to foot the rest for something that is going to have considerably higher resale value and possible collectability, not to mention the performance aspect. If you can't afford $130k then you probably shouldn't be buying a $100k car either.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

Quote:
tiggerfink - 3/14/2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

By the way, it’s our money and we spend the way we want to. I have already paid enough in taxes for children’s education and taxes for people that do not want to work.
paying ones taxes does not equate to ones contributing to the betterment of humankind. one is required-- the other requires selflessness; something i fear you mighnt posess.

youve made it clear that you only think of others as below you, i wonder, then...

why didnt *you* buy the AMG? since... you know... youre of this higher order of human being and all.

**edited just for thrillkill**

i see that point, but if performance is all you care about, you may not need the mercedes at all. theyre supposed to be touring cars, right? i mean the mercedes.

the mercedes philosophy(in my head) is to build a car with a timeless style that has wonderful build quality and also has that certain driving character.

dont you lose that when you try to build a civilized racecar? ive never sat in a new sl, let alone driven one, but it seems to me that a super race car was never really intended. those were built especially for racing?

the first two sl's were spartan inside, which lends to the sporting character, but for 40 years, almost, the sl has been a comfortable cruiser for two with a removable roof, not a true sports car.

i like fast cars, i like nice cars, it stands to reason that i'd like a fast nice car, but when people start talking about 30 grand being some trivial expense, i just gotta question it.

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

Quote:
iNeon - 3/14/2006 1:09 PM

paying ones taxes does not equate to ones contributing to the betterment of humankind. one is required-- the other requires selflessness; something i fear you mighnt posess.

youve made it clear that you only think of others as below you, i wonder, then...

why didnt *you* buy the AMG? since... you know... youre of this higher order of human being and all.
So how did I make it clear that I think of other below me? Are you upset that I disagree with you that we should spend our money the way we want to and not for your idea of people’s betterment?

I am saying it our money and we spend it any way we want to.

By the way, I am getting an AMG SL55 for my mom. I did not want one because of choice.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 04:44 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2005
Send a message via AIM to markcedes

i know a person who wen he was 7 said he wanted 1 he saved up and just got it last year he got it using every penny he could save
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 04:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004

Quote:
chiphomme - 3/14/2006 5:57 AM

Why do people buy the non AMG versions of those cars?
Simple,... the 600 is faster[:D]
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 05:21 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)

Quote:
chiphomme - 3/14/2006 10:03 AM

Quote:
elau - 3/14/2006 9:30 AM

Because not everybody has a deep pocket like you.

So a person has no problem dropping $100k in a car but it becomes untenable at $130K?
That flat out seems silly. If you can afford one you can afford the other.
That seemed like a given to me but apparently not. I was more interested in the performance functionality angle.

Still talking and acting middle class I see...[:p]
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 05:41 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Some people wouldn't buy the AMG version of any car because they don't have anything to prove, or because they consider AMG 'over-the-top', or because they'd rather give the extra $30K to charity, or because they live in a place (like most of the US) where the 'extra' performance is just meaningless and wasteful, or because they don't like anything remotely resembling a 'boy-racer' image, or because maybe they just don't see the point. Different strokes for different folks ya know.

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 05:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Marsden - 3/19/2006 7:41 PM

Some people wouldn't buy the AMG version of any car because they don't have anything to prove, or because they consider AMG 'over-the-top', or because they'd rather give the extra $30K to charity, or because they live in a place (like most of the US) where the 'extra' performance is just meaningless and wasteful, or because they don't like anything remotely resembling a 'boy-racer' image, or because maybe they just don't see the point. Different strokes for different folks ya know.
Word.

The only thing the AMG might be good for is road rage.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in