post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2006 ML350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How It Works: The $150,000 Watch

Porsche’s latest chronograph is the first watch with a digital display that’s driven by springs and gears. Here’s a look at a few of its 800 parts

TIMEKEEPING
The Porsche’s timekeeping mechanism is similar to other mechanical watches but is very accurate and durable, thanks to its precise design and assembly. The slow release of tension from a wound mainspring supplies the watch’s power. As the mainspring uncoils, gears transfer its energy to a balance wheel, which converts the energy to measured beats by rotating back and forth at a set rate (28,800 times an hour, or four times a second) like a small pendulum. This moves the escape wheel, the first of a number of gears that reduce those beats to one per second. These drive the second hand, which triggers the minute and hour hands.

WINDING
A freely spinning rotor weighted on one side with palladium-gold alloy moves in circles around the case as the wearer swings his arm. That circular motion winds the watch’s springs through a series of gears.

CHRONOGRAPH
A chronograph is like a stopwatch—it tracks elapsed time up to 10 hours. The Porsche is the first mechanical watch with a digital display: numbered dials instead of hands to show hours, minutes and seconds passed. A separate spring drives each dial, and each full rotation of the chronograph’s second hand lifts a lever and releases the minutes disc to advance one number almost instantly. That resets the lever for another circuit. Each full rotation of the minutes disc operates a similar lever under the 10-minutes disc, which in turn advances the hours disc.

POWER RESERVE
The power-reserve indicator shows you how long the watch will run without additional winding. Typically, a gear connected to the mainspring turns a gauge as the spring wears down. But the Porsche has three additional springs for the chronograph. When the chronograph is on, the spring turning the minutes disc (which makes 600 rotations in 10 hours) will run out before the timekeeping spring does. So the watch automatically switches to monitoring the chronograph while it is running—a first in watchmaking.

WHY IS IT $150,000?
In short, “complications�-mechanisms that do anything other than tell time. Watchmakers innovate by creating new ones, such as the Porsche’s digital display and power-reserve gauge, or by packing in several. The most expensive modern watch, Vacheron Constantin’s $1.5-million Tour de l’Ile, has 16, including sky and moon charts.

SPECS: PORSCHE DESIGN INDICATOR
Size: 1.9 in. (w), 0.7 in. (h)
Weight: 4.86 oz.
Price: $150,000
Case Material: Titanium
Individual Parts: About 800
Number Made: 40 (in 2005)
Years in Development: 4
New Complications: 2
Accuracy: Within 4 seconds a day

Attached Images

Thanks, D.

2006 ML 350 - Black, Appearance Package, Navigation System, Entertainment Package, Sunroof Package, Heated Seats, IPod Integration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: How It Works: The $150,000 Watch

I always said I'd have a hard time justifying a car that cost $150,000 but a WATCH??

I have a Citizen Eco-drive that I paid over $400.00 for. Expensive in my mind but a bargain compared to the Porche.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 1987 260E, 2000 C230, 2001 S500
Send a message via AIM to my260e

i remember this rule...forgot where i heard it from, but only buy a watch cheaper than 20 and more than 2000 *i.e. rolex* but...150,000 whoa...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon

I've spent the last two days doing paint maintenance inside a house with a large clock that chimed each quarter hour, half hour, and - of course... hour.
Getting constant reminders of 'How Time Flies' became bloody irritating.
I underpriced the job by three chimes [:(!]!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 07:21 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: Mercedes G Brabus

Bad investment if you plan to sell it in the near future with profit or even without loss. If that's the case go for Patek Philippe, Rolex, Vacheron Constantine or Audemars Piguet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46_1823729_314200692300AM.jpg (33.0 KB, 49 views)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 09:32 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Many

Just a common self-winding Ebauche with a remontoir and digital disks,A.L.Breguet was making digital self-winders from 1790-1810 that make this look like Blacksmith's work,hell,Tompion,Knibb and others were making making digital dials in the 1680's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in