LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2006 ML350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Former Google Employee says don't buy Google stock.

The bloom seems to be coming off the rose. After more than a year the naysayers are finally having their day.

Frankly, I have never had much respect for Google's detractors. Most criticism of Google has been based on ignorance and hysteria. The fact of the matter is, Google makes a kick-ass product, and they have used it to make a pile of money in the free market playing fair and square. I have nothing but the highest regard for them.

Nonetheless, it has always been a bit of a mystery to me why anyone bought Google's stock, let alone paid $470 a share for it not so long ago. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. But I am, and always have been, puzzled by people's willingness to pay these exhorbitant prices for Google. It's not because Google isn't a great company -- it is. But the stock has always seemed to me like a bad deal. Let me explain.

Suppose I wanted to sell you a share of my car. There are many reasons why you might want to buy. For example, I might let you drive it part of the time. Or maybe it's a limousine that I lease out, and I'd give you part of the income. Or maybe it's a collector's item and I'd give you part of the proceeds when I sell it.

But suppose I offered you the following deal: I'll sell you a share of my car, but you don't get to drive it. It generates income, but I won't share it with you, nor give you any say in what I do with the proceeds. I have no intention of ever selling it. I won't listen to anything you have to say about how the car ought to be used, and I won't tell you what I plan to do with it. In fact, buying a share of my car will provide you with no tangible benefits whatsoever. All it will do is give you bragging rights that you own a share of my car.

How many people do you think would accept a deal like that?

Well, if that car is Google, a lot.

Just as there are many reasons one might want to buy a share of a car, there are many reasons one might want to buy a share of a company. The company might pay dividends, or it might offer the potential of paying dividends in the future. If you buy a big enough share you can have a real say in how the company is run. Even if you don't have the wherewithall to buy a big enough share to let you run the company, your small share might be sought out by someone who does have the means to buy a controlling interest. Or being a shareholder might entitle you to certain special privileges. (We own some stock in a winery that gives a 30% discount to its shareholders. We've made back our original investments many times over on wine discounts alone. The stock also pays dividends.)

But with Google, none of those reasons apply. Google has explicitly stated that it will never pay dividends. They have explicitly said that they will offer no guidance to investors. Their stock structure is such that even if you bought every single publicly traded share of Google stock, Larry and Sergey would still control the company because their privately held stock has ten times as many votes as your publicly traded shares. So there is no hope that your shares will ever be of value to someone attempting a hostile takeover of Google. Such a thing is simply not possible, so no one will ever try.

There is really no difference at all between buying a share of Google and buying a share of my hypothetical car, which you never get to drive and over which you have no control and which will never put money in your pocket. The only difference is that the foolishness of the deal is more evident in the case of the car. In the case of a company as big and complicated as Google it is easier to convince yourself that there is some rational reason for the stock to have value. After all, there are a zillion people out there snapping up shares.

That's the same mentality that led people to buy shares of doctorkoop.com.

The big difference, of course, is that Google is making money. Lots of it. Theoretically the shareholders own part of that money. But in reality Larry and Sergey have all the say in how that money is spent, and the shareholders have none, and the company is structured in such a way that that can never change. It's a bizarre kind of ownership, no different at all from "owning" part of a car that you never get to drive and which provides you with no tangible benefit (and no hope of future tangible benefits) except the possibility of selling your share to the next sucker for more than you paid for it.

Why does anyone buy Google? I have no idea. But I'm damn glad that they do.

Thanks, D.

2006 ML 350 - Black, Appearance Package, Navigation System, Entertainment Package, Sunroof Package, Heated Seats, IPod Integration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 06:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: Former Google Employee says don't buy Google stock.

Not that I take issue with anything you've written here, as it's all well said. But where is the part that relates to the subject of the thread? What former employee says not to buy their stock?

Bruce
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:57 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEL & 1995 E300D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jupiterpbc Send a message via Yahoo to jupiterpbc

Bruce,

The original post was from a forum (do a search of the first sentence). It references, among others, the following link. It is actually a quite interesting blurb.

http://www.fuckedgoogle.com/
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 12:11 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Curious. What person or group would spend time devoting a site to the hatred of Google. Seems like an innocuous target, no? Have we already forgotton about Milosevic?

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 12:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
ThrillKill - 3/12/2006 2:11 PM

Curious. What person or group would spend time devoting a site to the hatred of Google.
Really. It's kind of like devoting their time on a car forum.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in