LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: We've begun moat construction

Naomilla: Your wordage reminds me of 'Architectural drawing' based painting quotes that I get asked to price.
I hate new work with a passion.
I'm the painting guy that comes in a year later - after all the first time around legal dust has settled, - and now the owners just want it done the old fashioned way.
Bloody 'Home Do Up' television shows have a lot to answer for [:(!] .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:

hehe, shrimpton, I'm the host clad in Prada outfit in black with dork glasses and talk with an unplaceable accent from one of those shows you mention.

If I ever have the pleasure of awarding painting contract to you, I'll be sure to print a version of elevations styled after 'paint-by-numbers' and instructions fit for a 5-year old just for you. [:D]

e korero maori ana koe?

ka pai, e hoa, kia ora koe =)

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon

Naomilla: Nah, carry on with your good work - suits me just fine to be a fuck up fixer after your lot has done its dash and moved on to create other disasters [8D].
Kia Ora back to you!.
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

I have an idea what you can do with your moat. Widen it and dig it a few feet deeper. Install aerator pumps and stock it with 6" catfish fingerlings. In 6 months to a year, you'll have an endless supply of fish for Blackened Catfish at your restaurant and you could further claim it is a spring fed pond since you have water seeping through the walls.

We could supply you with the fingerlings since our pond has become over populated with little fish.[:D]
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 04:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

cmitchprint--You're lucky. All the fish in both our ponds keep dying.

We've tested the water for everything, but for some reason they either jump out, or die.

We recently installed one of water fountain things (front yard pond), and some how, like strong wind, moved the hose and the nozzle part. The water began shooting out the pond, and by the next morning the whole pond had drained, and the fish were all dead.[V]

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 05:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

Quote:
Naomilla2.0 - 3/13/2006 10:59 AM

Dear JimSmith:
Just curious, what space(s) occupies directly beneath the north roof with shallow pitch? Is there an attic or does the space beneath have cathedral ceiling?
Thanks for the interest in my problem. I have done some assessments of this as after significant snowfalls we have had some anxiety generating water leaking into the house on the North side, as well as dangerous icicles develop from the second floor. The house started as a Cape Cod, modified with a "shed" roof on the North side to make more second floor space. I added a sunroom to the front and changed the pitch of the roof from a 12:12 to about half that. As a result the South side of the house has about an order of magnitude more roof surface area. When the sun shines, this side melts first and then during the day gets relatively warm, which heats the space above the insulation in the second floor ceiling. On the North side of the house we still typically have snow until the outside air temperature gets above freezing. If it stays good and cold for a week, the snow melts from the bottom on the North side, and the water trickles into the gutter where it freezes because of the air temperature. This goes on for a few days and the gutter gets full, and then the ice backs up over the eaves making a small dam. And then the problems start. I think the answer is to use the heat tape or equivalent over the eaves and soffit, and in the gutters, if I keep them.

Quote:
Regarding gutter,drainage, and basement:
You may be able to do without a gutter but make sure there is a means to drop water at the edge (look up 'drip edge'). It could be a piece of flashing at the edge of the roofing bent vertically down to promote water runoff from the roof to drip. Otherwise, wind as well as capillary action will make the water and moisture travel on the underside of the roofing.
Yes, we have these aluminum finishing touches to the roofing.

Quote:
You may be able to reduce basement moisture by simple landscape manipulation - a swale to direct the runoff to travel around the house would be effective if you observe much surface runoff on your property. Also, you could place an on-grade 'gutter' right under the roof edge around the perimeter of the house. A shallow (4" deep) U-shaped concrete trenches availale from landscaping stores installed around the house right under roof edge can divert surface runoff away from the house before it makes its way underground around your basement foundation walls. While it will not take care of moisture already in the ground, it will reduce amount of water saturating the soil around the basement, thereby reducing the moisture in the basement that promotes mold growth, as well as it would help reduce the burden placed on interior drains.
I have lived here for more than twenty years and spent many evenings and weekends digging drainage systems and installing systems similar to the ones inside the house, around the perimeter about 20 feet on the uphill side (the North side) from the foundation. I believe this does a great job of relieving the flow in the inside drains when there is runoff. However, in the Spring when the trees are still pretty much dormant, there is no draw by the indigenous flora on the seasonal water table height. The entire area sits on granite with relatively shallow deposits (maybe 30 feet) of "earth" between the top soil and the granite beneath. In many places the depth is likely less than 10 feet, with outcroppings, not boulders, readily visible. Runoff is only a problem (dealt with pretty effectively by the first drainage system) when we have an unusually heavy and long lasting rain. Otherwise the problem is a rising water table. Once the trees in the surrounding woods bud, none of this is a problem without a "100 year" flood-like downpouring.

Quote:
Mold-induced allergies do suck (I am also quite environmentally allergic inclusive of molds so I share your pain), but if you can somehow work to reduce the in-ground moisture adjacent to the basement foundation walls, I think you will have better chance of reducing the conditions that would favor mold growth.
I agree. In the summer near the shoreline in CT we get some very humid weather as well. Which doesn't help since the basement is typically cooler than the outside temperature and the doors to the basement are typically open more then. The dehumidifier works reasonably well, and is connected via hose to the curtain drains inside the basement.

Overall, water is a pain in the rear, but once you learn to how to deal with it, it is less of an anxiety generating item than teenage kids. I like living in the woods as they exist naturally, so I accept the challenges. There are many, and some you fight back against and others you are better off learning how to service, like the water issues. Jim
post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 07:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
JimSmith - 3/15/2006 7:50 PM
Overall, water is a pain in the rear, but once you learn to how to deal with it, it is less of an anxiety generating item than teenage kids. I like living in the woods as they exist naturally, so I accept the challenges. There are many, and some you fight back against and others you are better off learning how to service, like the water issues. Jim
There you go. I think that's the healthiest way to deal with elements of nature. There is only so much one can solve with building technology per se. Sometimes, I find teachings from Taoism makes the most sense when dealing with forces of nature - don't fight them, but use them to your advantage. Enjoy the beautiful setting in the woods.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 07:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
asianml - 3/15/2006 6:05 PM

We've tested the water for everything, but for some reason they either jump out, or die.

We recently installed one of water fountain things (front yard pond), and some how, like strong wind, moved the hose and the nozzle part. The water began shooting out the pond, and by the next morning the whole pond had drained, and the fish were all dead.[V]

Confucius say man who forget to plug the pond gets drained

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 07:59 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 02 ML 320

looking at the pictures reminds me of the time when my friend came to me and asked do you want to make $200 digging a hole. i said sure well anyways after having pros come cut out the concrete 20 feet x 3 feet. Him and 3 others of us dug a 5 foot deep hole 20 feet long to a pipe that was leaking and let me tell you my arms where scraped up since it was only 3 feet wide and you couldnt move. Started at about 7PM didnt get done till 2AM and we had a jackhammer to loosen the dirt so all we did was move the dirt. I guess the only good thing about it was it was inside a house and we had AC.
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
asianml - 3/15/2006 6:05 PM

The difference is, our pond is nearly an acre in size and is spring fed. We don't need aeration since the wind blows across the surface aerating the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in