BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: ML430/ SL500 SA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: We've begun moat construction

Do you live in Calcutta?

"I feel much better ever since I gave up hope."

1999 ML430 * Navigation System * 285/70 R17 All terrain T/As -33 inchers*ORC suspension lift kit* Side Step Rail Rock Sliders * Brush Guard * HELLA lamps * Front Skid Plate* All Weather Mats * All-Terrain Rear Seat Cover * Wet Okole Neoprene Front seat covers* All-Weather Rear Cargo Mat/Divider * Yakima LoadWarrior Rack * Roofmount Fullsize spare * Trailer Hitch * Rhino Hitch Step* Rhino Tail Light Guards* WARN 8000i Multi-Mount Winch* Go-Light Remote Motorized Spotlight * Moto-Jack Motorcycle Carrier

2002 SL500 Sliver Arrow w/limited edition James Bond briefcase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 08:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeesh.[xx(].

I hope everything works out for you. Now you're making me regret not putting in a sump pump when we had the chance.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 06:25 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Naomilla2.0 - 3/11/2006 2:41 PM

Quote:
deathrattle - 3/11/2006 1:21 PM

Hey Naomilla,didnt BarryLevinson make a movie about you back in the 80s starring Dustin Hoffman?-What was it called now?,er oh yeah 'Drain man' That's it![;)]
...and what about that Police song 'King of Drain' [|)][B)]

I personally like Phil Collins "I wish it would DRAIN down on me".

TK, You could fill the basement in and turn it into a big ass crawl space!
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Benz4Dirt&Sky - 3/11/2006 8:30 PM

Do you live in Calcutta?
No Bends4DirtyGuys(Iknew I'd get to use that at some point in time,lol) I don't live in Calcutta but I'm not opposed to some black hole from time to time. [:D]

post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 10:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

The house came with a sump pump and it discharged through the basement wall below grade. Sounded like all good stuff, and worked ok for several years. Then, a number of years after moving in, we had 12" of rain in an afternoon, after a prolonged cold spell so most of the ground was still frozen. The sump pump line had been pinched off a bit by settling of the dirt around the foundation, which also made a "loop seal" that trapped water. When the 12" of rain tried to find a place to hang out, my basement, the plugged discharge line of the sump pump was complete. The water rose to about the 1 foot level in a matter of an hour or so, I had to cut the discharge line, and hang a new one out the basement window. It was too late. My intermittent duty sump pump was not up to the challenge and water kept rising. I waded over to the distribution panel and shut the power off.

My solution was to dig up the inside basement floor next to the footings, install the drains you have described, and then run the 8" line under the foundation footings, and down the driveway where it drains into the woods a few feet below the height of the foundation footings. I still have to dehumidify, but have no big deal water issues. In New England the problems start this time of year. No leaves on trees to draw the water table down, and alternating freezing weather and heavy rains. Wreaks havoc with gutters as well, since we live in the woods. I am thinking of just taking them off the house.

Good luck, but I would spend the bucks to put in a gravity drained system every time. Jim
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 300c (1956)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jim why don't you install some gutter guard and use higher capacity gutters? My point is that you should not get ridd of the gutters. I had a situation where my daughter goes to school where I rented a challet for her that had the gutters taken out because it was in the wood. It was a desaster as soon as the snow melted from the roof.
How deep and how far from the foundation walls did you dig to put that inner drain?
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

Yeah, I would never go without gutters Jim, although we have huge pines in the front and I have to get on the roof monthly to remove the needles and debris.
I saw something on This Old House years ago. Same situation as yours. House in the woods. They installed these grates that were bearely visible in leiu of gutters. The water would roll off the roof and hit these grates and "plink" outward past the foundation area. Looked cool and nothing to clean.

post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Those gutter gaurds work pretty well.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Quoted: 256 Post(s)

I have considered gutter guards or even wrapping the gutters with aluminum screen. Our problem lies in the fact that the house has a relatively shallow pitch on the north side, and when it snows the roof there frequently ices up. This happens more frequently when heat from the house melts the snow on the roof very slowly and it drips into the gutter, which can be well below freezing. So it ices. If this persists I can get a significant ice build up on the roof, which will damn the flow of the melting water, leading to water leaking up under the shingles and eventually into the house. In other areas around New England I have seen electric heaters intstalled under metal covers over the last few feet of shallow pitch roofing. Somehow just removing the gutters seems to be easier and more effective.

My interior drains are installed with 6" diameter perforated tubing, as you described, that are buried so the bottom of the tube is sloped from the diagonal corner of the room, which is on the uphill side of the slope the house is built into, to a drainage collection box that is installed at a depth below the footings. on the downhill side of the house. The drain down the driveway is connected to the collection box, which is well below the bottom of the foundation footing. The slope is a couple of feet over about a 75 foot run, and when the ground water comes up every spring, the water just runs out of the 8 inch drain line, about 1/3 of the height of the inside diameter. The basement does not have standing water, but without a dehumidifier the basement is musty. The entire family is allergic to molds and things so the dehumidifier runs all the time down there. Works fine.

The interior drains are installed about 8" to 10" inside the base of the footings, meaning toward the inside of the basement. The patch work on the floor looks like hell, and is not as smooth as the original floor, but I did not want to pay to have all the floor removed and redone. We do not use the basement for living space, it is storage, mainly and I had a shop table down there once, with my tools and car parts on shelves next to it. The table is still there but it is used alternately for whatever the kid's latest interest is - at one point it was model railroads, then little electric race car tracks, and now it is just holds a ton of junk with meaning to the wife that is ultimately destined for a place in the local landfill, where it can be returned to nature. My tools and car parts are now in the "shed" outside. Jim
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
worst mod in BW history

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

Our first year in this house was a wild winter. Freezing, snow, sunny, freezing again and we got the melting then freezing you described which created icicles the size of my John Henry and inner thigh combined. So that spring I bought defrosters and installed them. Basically a wire that heats up enough to prevent buildup. They were not cheap as our house is extremely long and of course it never happened again. I haven't even plugged then in for two years now.[:(!] Might work for you though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in