Video shows Bush as complete, total, utter liar. Why no calls for impeaching this lying sack of ? - Page 9 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Video shows Bush as complete, total, utter liar. Why no calls for impeaching this lying sack of

Most of that I have already seen and understood. I apologize for my smart-ass remark. Your statement asserting she was not covert, without support, smacks of the typical republican talking point, and is completely false.

OBK #35

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 05:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
RE: Video shows Bush as complete, total, utter liar. Why no calls for impeaching this lying sack of

Quote:
old300D - 3/6/2006 1:39 PM

Most of that I have already seen and understood. I apologize for my smart-ass remark. Your statement asserting she was not covert, without support, smacks of the typical republican talking point, and is completely false.
Whether she was covert or not is, as Fitzgerald intimated, not decided. There is evidence going both ways. As understand it part of the problem is the way that the law is written and interpreted. It was originally written to address a specific instance by a specific individual, Aldridge Ames. That was a dumb reason to make a law and the result is a dumb law that is difficult to interpret.

Here's what I'm betting.

Fitzgerald recognized how badly the law was written but believed that Scooter had violated it in spirit, if not provably in court. Fitzgerald did (does) have Scooter dead-to-rights on the perjury thing. Had scooter been entirely blameless Fitzgerald may have let the lie slide by assuming it was simply a misstatement of fact. However, Fitzgerald doesn't like being played and so decided to hammer Scooter with what Fitzgerald believes is a good case.

That's not good law but it gets the politicians on notice that lying to a grand jury is never a winning proposition. Too bad Libby didn't learn from either Nixon or Clinton. But Libby is like every other politician in recorded history--egotistical enough to believe that they are more important than mere laws meant for the little people. I hope they burn his ass for that reason, if for no other.

B
post #83 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

I'm sorry -- no one who answers to "Scooter" belongs in politics.

He that strives to touch the stars
Oft stumbles at a straw.
- Edmund Spenser

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #84 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 08:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

Quote:
Ammonium - 3/5/2006 9:59 PM

Quote:
MS Fowler - 3/5/2006 9:21 PM

Maybe I am simple-minded. I think that people who lie under oath to a federal judge, or a State judge for that matter should be proscecuted.

In your world lies are OK if they further your political aims.
Simple minded or not, an affair and letting a major city, with vital petrolium and import centers, drown are two completely seperate things. If you want to call them the same than I will stop here.
Lying to the grand jury is the issue, not what the lie is about. Ask Scooter Libby. He ain't in trouble because what he is suspected of lying about, he is in trouble for lying. Unless you think that the subject of the lie is important, in which case Fitzgerald would have to prove that Plame was legally a NOC, that Libby knew it, and that Libby knew it was breaking that particular law to reveal the fact. The reason (IMO) that Fitzgerald didn't go for that was he knew or suspected he couldn't overcome those hurdles.

Like whatsisname did with Clinton. Couldn't pin him on the original charge so busted for something he could prove. Is that fair? Sure, unless you would agree with Fowler and say that only your team should be exempt from the laws of perjury before a grand jury.

Bot
post #85 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 02:39 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1982 300SD
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
kvining - 3/6/2006 7:59 AM

Quote:
MS Fowler - 3/5/2006 9:21 PM

Maybe I am simple-minded. I think that people who lie under oath to a federal judge, or a State judge for that matter should be proscecuted.

In your world lies are OK if they further your political aims.
If you sucked my dick, I'd lie about it.

That is about as intellectual a remark as you are capable of making.
post #86 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Hey - it makes my point. It is an utterly stupid subject, infantile and moronic, that never should have risen to the point of a national issue. It simply is not comparable to Bush's outright lawbreaking, lawbreaking that has resulted in death and destruction of innocent people. On one hand, we have a man who lies to keep from getting in trouble with his wife, on the other, a man getting thousands of people killed as he lies his self silly.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in